ArmyStudyGuide Community
Initial Counseling

This topic can be found at:
http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5851093521/m/3571096522

29 April 2007, 15:19
SGT HM
Initial Counseling
I need help!!! Im a new to my unit and i am in charge of 2 soldiers. One is actually a supply clerk(im a 92y) and the other one is a problem soldier that we got from the DFAC. I am writing initial counseling on both of them But what would i write for the problem one?? He is really not supply and he is just there for the time being. So would i write the one similar to my clerk?? Please help
29 April 2007, 18:24
PA_in_2ID
If your "NEW" to the unit, then how do you have a "problem" soldier??

Sounds like your going off of what someone else said, and haven't given the soldier a chance.
I'm pretty surprised you openly asked that.
29 April 2007, 22:23
SSG Hammy
When you think about what an initial counseling is intended to do, then it should be easy to figure out what to put in it.

An initial counseling should outline your expectations of the Soldier (I.E. uniform standards and show up to formations 10 mins prior) as well as their duty description.

The last part might be a little bit more difficult with your DFAC Soldier, but I know you will have him doing something, so let him know in the counseling.
29 April 2007, 22:23
MaintTech
Your initial counseling must be the same for all Soldiers, during this session you outline your expectations and what your Soldiers can expect of you, remember that counseling is a two way highway. If you are relatively "new" to the unit, you should not act harshly simply based on a few days or weeks of observations or 'hearsay'. Act as a professional, lay out the rules and work on those who need extra attention, once all your Troopers know what's expected of them then you'll be able to tailor your counselings to shape their behavior and guide them into full compliance.
30 April 2007, 04:18
KineticMedic
While the initial counseling should generally be the same for your Soldiers, I often tailor mine to each Soldier. I am a medic, with two medic Soldiers, and one lab tech. For the lab tech I had to include references to her job specifically, and do a little research on some basic lab procedures and SOP things. I also knew that she had some prior discipline and a Soldiering issues. I put in there the basic standards as a Soldier, my expectations, and I also said that what she had was a 'fresh start'. I told her that anything prior to her arrival in my sqaud ment nothing, and what she did from that point on was all that counted. Since there was no adverse action pending, it was okay to do that (no, I didn't burn the previous 4856s). Her performance has improved dramatically, and her attitude is quite impressive, especially in comparison to her previous one. Set the same standards, include some knowledge of their MOS specific skills and performances, and give them a new slate (if administratively possible). It hasn't failed me yet. Good luck.

Go Kinetic!
19 May 2007, 16:46
Go Ordnance
When I got to my new unit I was automatically put in charger of 8 soldiers. My initial counseling was the same for all of them. I WILL NOT change my standards nor the army standards for any of them. I expect them all to abide by the regulations set forth. I also gave a fresh start to all of my soldiers, once the initial counseling was done it was fair game on the so called "problem" soldiers.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."
21 May 2007, 12:36
SSGGunbunny
Good advice, initial should be pretty generic and be more about what is expected. If an NCO has told you the soldier is a "problem", I would let them know they have a new slate and a chance to start over.

I had a troop like that once, I came in as a new buck and got a fire team with a "misfit" in it that other NCOs had passed off. I sat him down and gave him initial counseling, then I told him off any record "Look, I have heard things about you and I don't care if they are true...you do what I expect and I will make sure things turn around for you. If you do not, I will do all I can to put you on the street."

That soldier met every expectation with little additional guidance and even made soldier of the month six months later. Sometimes, soldier go through a bad patch and then get a rep they cant shake...when that happens they give up and don't care anymore. You owe it to that soldier as an NCO to give them a good clean shot. If they fail you, you can move on to the appropriate next step.

That being said, if they live up to what you set out or exceed your expectations be prepared to do the extra work to restore their name to the COC and to your peers. I ended up gnashing my teeth at a few NCO's that bad mouthed that joe I just mentioned because they didnt want to see his changes, they wanted to pick on him based on his past performance issues.