ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    First Counseling Session as Squad Leader
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Counseling Session as Squad Leader
 Login/Join

posted
I just conducted my first session with my troops. Here is how I went about it.

I informed them the day prior of what would be covered and asked them if they had any questions or suggestions prior to my typing them up. They had a few and they were noted on the counseling statement.

I typed each Soldiers counseling statement up last night, making note of their suggestions, questions and my solutions.

I sat down with each individual Soldier and had them go over the counseling and give me feedback. Under Leaders Responsibility, I noted what was discussed and what I would do to assist the Soldier.

Afterwards, I did somewhat of an AAR to see how the Soldier felt the Counseling Session went and what improvements they felt were needed, if any. That was also noted under Leaders Responsibilities.

I didn't do an INITIAL Counseling persay due to the fact that they had all received one a week prior from the Section Sergeant. It was more of an introduction to their new Squad Leader and what I expected from them. I informed each of them what was expected of them, and also told them what they could expect from me and asked what they felt they should expect from me.

Each Soldier left the Counseling Session happy with the Session and felt well informed.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What could I have done better? Just curious to get some input.

Posts: 34 | Location: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: 15 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
I would say that you are ahead of most of your peers and a multitude of NCOs who outrank you. Keep up the good work!

As far as suggestions, I would say you should have asked them for their near term, short term, ad long term goals, whether or not they are military oriented or not. This way, each month when you do their developmental counselings, you should be steering them in the right direction and assisting them in reaching those goals. This is a portion of the "developmental" part of the developmental counseling.

Sounds like you covered most everything else already. Strong work.

DS2000

Posts: 136 | Location: Baumholder, Germany | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:8046868269]As far as suggestions, I would say you should have asked them for their near term, short term, ad long term goals, whether or not they are military oriented or not. This way, each month when you do their developmental counselings, you should be steering them in the right direction and assisting them in reaching those goals. This is a portion of the "developmental" part of the developmental counseling. [/quote:8046868269]

I KNEW I forgot something! Ugh! I'll be sure to put that in my next counseling. I completely forgot about that! Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 34 | Location: Ft Hood, Texas | Registered: 15 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree wit DS2000. Be a mentor to your soldiers. A large majority of NCO's would still be SPC's if their Squad Leader didn't instruct them on how to become a SGT. You'd be amazed how many soldiers have no clue how to sign up for correspondence courses.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ft. Carson, CO | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post