ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    To sign Or not to sign a counseling that is the question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To sign Or not to sign a counseling that is the question?
 Login/Join

Picture of Crazy Doc Brown
posted
Ok so in the many years I have in, there has been this stigma going around that you sign counseling but you can choose disagree or agree and that it is only over what is being said in the counseling. So when should you sign or not. Now is there anyone who has any more incite to this or experience either from receiving or giving a counseling?

Posts: 13 | Location: Germany | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
u agree or disagree that everything on the counseling statement was actually discussed during the counseling session....

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It would just be easier if they redid the form to where normal people could understand what the hell they want in that particular block/area.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 07 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was always of the understanding that the Soldier agrees/disagrees about wether the information on the form covers the incident, topic, and things discussed. Say I counseled a SOldier for failing a PT test, and I write he failed his push-ups. THe Soldier can initial disagree and put that he actually failed his run as shown by the supporting document. Or perhaps, the Soldier can state that he did not in fact call his NCO a 'worthless insect' but instead said....whatever. That section has been for the SOldier to add pertinent information.

Go Kinetic!

Posts: 99 | Location: Baghdad | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
signing a counseling form is basically an acknowledgement that the soldier was indeed counseled. The agree or disagree part is where the soldier is given the opportunity to add information which is useful which the soldier feels needs to be included.
If the soldier refuses to sign, thats ok as well, find another NCO to verify that the soldier refused and have that NCO sign as a witness that the soldier refused to sign the counseling. Basically all you need is proof that the soldier was counseled, their signature is irregardless, but highly recommended.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by forrest gump:
signing a counseling form is basically an acknowledgement that the soldier was indeed counseled. The agree or disagree part is where the soldier is given the opportunity to add information which is useful which the soldier feels needs to be included.
If the soldier refuses to sign, thats ok as well, find another NCO to verify that the soldier refused and have that NCO sign as a witness that the soldier refused to sign the counseling. Basically all you need is proof that the soldier was counseled, their signature is irregardless, but highly recommended.

Irregardless is a double negative.

"Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'irr-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" (Steve Smith, American Dad)

REDLEG81

Posts: 203 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get too far off topic, but... Red Leg81 started it. Razzer

"Irregardless" is listed in the dictionary, which makes it a word. It's just a non standard word, used in casual speech, and ususally to add emphasis to the statement it accompanies. The "meaning" is literally "regardless."

That being said...

quote:
Regardless- having or showing no regard; heedless; unmindful

I believe the word you wanted was "irrelevant".

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC Jive Turkey
posted Hide Post
They are signing that they agree or disagree to the counseling. They can initial disagree all they want, but they are still recieving the counseling. Better to have someone present or a witness there to sign when this happens.

Later down the road if you have to pursue administrative action or punitive, you can say we talked about this before and you acknowlegded that there was a problem.

It also covers the soldier incase they are being treated unfairly so they can fight it later on. In this case they have a block for remarks to tell why they disagree. Just like Forrest said.

Posts: 250 | Location: Fort Rucker | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the correction English Wizzes.
I think my point was clear though.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of S3RG3@NT C.
posted Hide Post
OK, i see to many confusion with the counselings. First of all, you counseled the soldier with a blank counseling and you fill it as you discuss the performance or issue depending the case. Then you type the counseling. The agree or disagree is for the plan of action. Either agree or disagree to the plan of action with the counselor. If you see that the information in the summary of counseling is all lies then you don't sign and you can request to use the open door policy with your CSM or equivalent. Just remember you are agreeing with the plan of action. You can find this info in the FM 6-22 under, Record and Close the Session from B-57 thru B-59. Hope this works fro any of you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
Arn't you just fantastic?

Big Grin

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
See your CSM because you do not approve of your counseling??? Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
good job on bring this 6 year old thread back.
great situational awareness.

Confused

i am curious how these new guys find these old ass threads? it obviously isnt from the quick link on the right side.

so they must be going through each topic... then something happens when they see a thread 30 pages in and some magical answer pops in their head...

thats got to be it!

Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hellz:
good job on bring this 6 year old thread back.
great situational awareness.

Confused

i am curious how these new guys find these old ass threads? it obviously isnt from the quick link on the right side.

so they must be going through each topic... then something happens when they see a thread 30 pages in and some magical answer pops in their head...

thats got to be it!

No. Someone does a google search on their question/concern and the result is an old thread like this one. Then, they want to contribute, so they create an account and answer the question, not realizing its outdated.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post