ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Monthly performance counseling,..........
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monthly performance counseling,..........
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Counseling is one of those things that i was told to hold dearly at my 1st duty station. My NCO told me that they were a way to help me improve and he never missed a monthly counseling. He also was really good at counseling me when I messed up, giving me a plan of action for correction, and once that plan of action was followed, I was back to being the good soldier that he thought i was. That left no room for the nagging at me for things I messed up on in the past and it kept me headed in the right direction. I thought the best way to learn how to counsel was being counseled. I got a great block of instruction every month from a great NCO. I always thought that the feedback I gave was important too, and would expect it when I counsel a soldier. It ensures everyone is on the right page.

When I got to my new uint, None of the soldiers in my section were counseled by our 1st line supervisor, so being the SPC that i am, I took it upon myself to begin counseling them. At one point, our supervisor "caught" me counseling the other soldiers and got all pissed at me for it. He told me that it was NCO business and he'd take care of it. Well, 3 months later, still no counselings for me or the other soldiers. I just became promotable, so im not worried much for myself, but these other soldiers dont have guidance. Its a shame.

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
TenaciousP,...if you are not going to continue to be in those soldiers NCO support Chain or Chain of command (squad leader),....you still owe it to them to ensure that they receive the counseling they deserve. Approach the NCO who is till derelict in his/her duty to counsel his/her soldiers monthly. Inform him that you are giving him/her their last opportunity to get on track with a monthly counseling program for his/her soldiers before you will go to the PLT SGT or 1SG. That way,....you are not just running and telling on him/her. In fact,...some NCOs do not counsel their soldiers because they themselves were never counseled and don't really know how or do not feel like they know how. You may offer some assistance to that NCO, in preparing the first few counselings for his/her soldiers so he/she can get a feel for it. You may ask one or two of your soldeers permission to have the NCO sit in on a couple of the monthly counseling sessions that you do with YOUR soldiers,...so he can see how you conduct your sessions. Try it out and see what happens. But if you inform him/her and even offer to assist them and you know that his/her soldiers are still not being counseled,...it is your duty to inform someone who can take action. Both the soldiers and the NCO in question are getting the short end of the stick. The soldiers are not receiving the guidance they need and deserve,...and the NCO is not developing his or her interprsonal skills and counseling/leadership skills. Try it out and see what happens. Those soldiers are all future NCOs who are not receiving the guidance or tools that they will need to be effective in the NCO ranks. You have the ability to change that. What will you do?................

Let us know what action you decide to take,...if any.

DS2000

Posts: 136 | Location: Baumholder, Germany | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, the NCO that wasnt doing the counseling and myself got moved to another section and the other soldiers got a new NCO which, from what I hear is squaring them away, counseling and all. Good for them. Well, now that It is only Myself and SGt____ Working together, I wont have any soldiers when I get promoted, (My NCO is the training NCO and im his filing boy) not to mention that I dont have a real Job. I'm in a crappy situation, but we are getting a new CO this month and I'm going to ask him to move me into a section where I'll have a job and maybe some soldiers. We'll see...

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!

Posts: 136 | Location: Baumholder, Germany | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I need a good format for inital/monthly counselings. All I know is WORK PERFORMANCE, PT, UNIFORM and thats about it. All I can usually say is like one or two sentences a piece. I need help. Any refrences?

Posts: 32 | Location: Ft. Hood | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
whatisa21T, try this

monthly preformance
uniform IAW AR 670-1
promotion
Education Mil/Civ
Profile if it applies
Gov credit card
Saftey

elaborate on each section and you should have a nice monthly counseling

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
DS2000,

How personal do you make monthly performance/professional development counseling? Should I stick with duty performance and the promotion areas (military & civilian education, PT, marksmanship, etc) or should I take it to attributes: interpersonal communication, loyalty, respect, personal courage, etc?

Posts: 153 | Location: Fort Livingroom, IA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
Definitely include those other areas, as they too are very important. If they weren't, they would not have their own section on the NCOER. Soldiers need to be talked to about those values long before they become NCOs. If you wait til' then, it is usually too late. All thier bad habits have been formed by then! The monthly counseling should be specifically tailored to discuss each individual soldier's strengths and weaknesses, even when they are in the area of Army Values.

DS2000

posted Hide Post
I never forget to counsel my soldiers. I think its one of the important part of being section leader or squad leader. It gives them a start if they haven't started with their goals and also gives them a pick up point if they are lost. I always try giving them a verbal or many times written.

Posts: 158 | Location: OKC | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
this is what i used on my initials...although i can think of many more topics that could be included.

o job performance/responsibilities
o civilian/military education
o leave/passes
o military bearing
o physical training
o wear and appearance of uniform
o upcoming events
o overall evaluation

others;

o finance
o obligation to the army (second jobs (if applicable)).

Posts: 28 | Location: korea uncsb-jsa | Registered: 05 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey, sup board ...

My ole NCO was good at counciling. She was pretty much on time.

But NOW im an NCO (01Mar04), and I have 2 soldiers im responsible for.

Does anyone have an example of a good Initial Counciling ??

It would be very helpful. I wanna be a good NCO. help me help the soldiers.

Posts: 1 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 03 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
Any one else have additional questions ref: monthly performance counseling? Please, ask away. Or add your input.

posted Hide Post
NCO, look for the thread called "initial counseling statement" ... it's about the fourth one down in this forum. It contains an example of the initial that I use with all my Soldiers.

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm in enforce's brigade and he was right about the new BDE CSM was pissed about what was going on with the soldiers monthly 4856E! The only time my BN cares about 4856E is when brigade sends down a SGM to take a look at them! Its sad! I see junior soldiers sign 4856E's with the wrong dates on the! I see NCO's in my unit do 5-6 months worth of 4856E's in one day!

Posts: 290 | Location: MOPP 4 | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
On a personal note, please when counseling your soldiers, take the time and effort to spell your words correctly... Nothing is worse than having your 19 yr old Private break out a red pen and make corrections. I once had a Piece o' Poop Sqd Ldr counsel me on being late to formation. In the body of the counseling she directed me to insure all that the grammer* and puncuation was good. Now at the time I was a smart ass young NCO and rebutted with how ironic it was that she instructs me to do what she herself could not. I then went on to explain to her the value of the English language. (*Needless to say the RBI turned into a 5 page typed paper, in which I regurgated some information from a TM I think).

Also, for you young Non Comms who are taking the time to learn, I applaud you. I was told that you cannot go wrong if you incorporate the seven Army Values into your counseling... I do (it doesnt have to be a template, incorporate your own style, the Mentor book tends to be a cruch to some, in the 11th ACR CSM said he better not find an NCO with that book, that an NCO ought to be able to put his/her thoughts to paper...yada yada yada...)

Posts: 53 | Location: FLW | Registered: 04 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post