ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Newly promoted NCO
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newly promoted NCO
 Login/Join

Picture of ArmyBackBone89
posted
As a SPC I was privileged to utilize my CO school incentive program. I would report for accountability formation and then be sent on my way to classes. I now have my stripes, I now report to work for half-day schedule, then attend my classes. I'm still a full time student but now I have soldiers who I am responsible for. One of my soldiers is reporting to the SOM board next week. I haven't done a single counseling (to include my initial) to any of my soldiers. I am currently the SQD LDR until the official SQD LDR and TEAM LDR return from school. My unit is pretty much throwing me to the wolves, not to mention I still have green Class A's. So my issues are:

1. Should I even report with my soldier to the SOM board knowing I'll give the SM a bad look from the gate wearing greens?
2. Am I responsible for counseling soldiers even if I'm not assigned the role of SQD LDR?
3. If I am held accountable to give counselings where can I go to reference some good examples. I'll need this in the future regardless.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Don't blame your unit- you should have been learning to be an NCO.

1- ABSOLUTELY, or find an appropriate substitute. However, will that substitute know your Soldier as well as you do?
--The board will not blame the Soldier as much as you for YOUR "8 up" ness.

2- Work that out with your Plt SGT. But yes, anyone who falls under your supervision should be counseled by you.

3- There are tons of examples and websites and places to get assistance. No one here can find them all for you. Google "monthly counseling" or other terms until you find them. Ask other NCOs. They've all been there, done that. Work with your Plt SGT and 1SG. Ask for guidance and help.

-----------------------------------

Being an NCO carries more responsibility than you realize. Even if the NCOs you have worked for haven't shown it, you must make yourself into a good NCO. Ask for guidance from those who ARE doing what they should.

-You will work longer hours as an NCO than other Soldiers.
-Go read the NCO creed. You will need to memorize it. For now, think on what it means. Internalize it. LIVE IT!!!

Good luck- you're starting right (even if ultra-late) on your path to success.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
The green class A uniform is still authorized for wear IAW AR 670-1, so wearing them doesn't mean you're ate up, it means you adhere to the current regulation so long as you're wearing it properly. The board members should be well aware of this so they shouldn't give you, or your Soldier, any problems so long as your uniform and your Soldier's uniform is squared away. We have ASU/Class A uniform inspections every 1st Friday, and although I have blues, sometimes I wear my greens. Honestly I think the greens look better, the blues are just too color full, looks like something the Navy would wear, lol.

Posts: 580 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am currently the SQD LDR until the official SQD LDR and TEAM LDR return from school. My unit is pretty much throwing me to the wolves, not to mention I still have green Class A's.

As you yourself have stated, you are the squad leader. You need to act accordingly. Counsel your Soldiers and start placing their needs above your own. If that means coming back into work after class or working weekends then that's what needs to happen, it's what we do.

If you have a Soldier attending a board, not only do you need to be there, you need to prepare him/her for that board. Help them study, tell them what to expect, mentor them, inspect their uniform, and practice with a mock board. I can already see the post on here coming from a Soldier about how his unit screwed him on a SOM board with no sponsor and no prep. Don't let that Soldier be yours.

Work with other NCOs about counselings. Reading a regulation or 2 before you approach them would certainly be in your best interest. Also, check out www.armywriter.com.

Green Class A's is the least of your problems. Don't worry about it, it's still authorized for wear. As long as it's squared away, no one will care.

This is the time for you to step up and show your supervisors, peers, and subordinates that you have what it takes to be a good leader. Rise to the challenge and embrace what it means to be a good NCO and a leader of Soldiers. It won't come without hiccups, disappointment and heartache, but I can promise you that hard work and dedication will go a long way in molding you into a fine Non-Commissioned Officer.

Posts: 275 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
On top of all the good advice here...

Just because you are not the "official" Squad Leader does not mean you are not responsible. That's why we have ranks and a chain of command. If the leader isn't there, it goes to the next highest ranked Soldier. If your two superiors are gone, YOU are the leader. That means doing everything a leader does.

Read the Creed of the Non-Commissioned Officer. It tells you everything you need to Be, Know, and Do.

There isn't much you can do about the counselings at this point, but brush up on being a good NCO in your spare time. Go to the board and represent that Soldier the best you can. Take responsibility for not being the best leader you should be at this point, and then go and KEEP learning and KEEP being a good leader.

Good Luck!

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT. T:
The green class A uniform is still authorized for wear IAW AR 670-1, so wearing them doesn't mean you're ate up, it means you adhere to the current regulation so long as you're wearing it properly. The board members should be well aware of this so they shouldn't give you, or your Soldier, any problems so long as your uniform and your Soldier's uniform is squared away. We have ASU/Class A uniform inspections every 1st Friday, and although I have blues, sometimes I wear my greens. Honestly I think the greens look better, the blues are just too color full, looks like something the Navy would wear, lol.

+1. I was thinking about this response when I read the OP's post. So I am not going to take your thunder. Yes, I will miss the greens because they were a part of our tradition for over 60 years. Hopefully, the Army will abort the decision for one uniform and re-tool the Class A to the WWII uniform. Now that uniform was sharp.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyBackBone89
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and wisdom, I've already started my counseling packet for my soldiers and look forward to taking my subordinate to the board. I just went to the SOM in Nov (and won) and the promotion board in Dec (obviously obtained my "p" status). I realize that my journey has now begun to becing the best NCO that I can. I guess after 3 years of service (to include my demoted years) and being so young, I feel like I'm not ready but that is no longer the case. When I reported to the promotion board that signified me embracing this position that I now hold. My story can be a testimony for others that, defeat is not accepted here and with hard work and sacrifice, anything is possible.
----------------------------------

Armywriter.com is definitely a helpful tool, got it saved in my bookmarks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyBackBone89:
Thanks for all the advice and wisdom, I've already started my counseling packet for my soldiers and look forward to taking my subordinate to the board. I just went to the SOM in Nov (and won) and the promotion board in Dec (obviously obtained my "p" status). I realize that my journey has now begun to becing the best NCO that I can. I guess after 3 years of service (to include my demoted years) and being so young, I feel like I'm not ready but that is no longer the case. When I reported to the promotion board that signified me embracing this position that I now hold. My story can be a testimony for others that, defeat is not accepted here and with hard work and sacrifice, anything is possible.
----------------------------------

Armywriter.com is definitely a helpful tool, got it saved in my bookmarks!

Good god, kudos to you on accepting your responsibility, but are there any chips for that cheese?

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68Rvet:
Good god, kudos to you on accepting your responsibility, but are there any chips for that cheese?

Big Grin Leave the guy alone.

backbone89, read through your post again and see if you can spot the "look at me"-ness of it.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post