ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Counseling: Warrior ethos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counseling: Warrior ethos
 Login/Join

posted
I am attempting to write a counseling for a failure to uphold the warrior ethos, but my supervisor is telling me to write it as a "reminder" rather than an event oriented counseling. I'm a bit confused as to how to even start this counseling. If anybody has written one similar to this, please, any help is appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: JBLM, WA | Registered: 01 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MSG W
posted Hide Post
I think you need to be more specific. Failing to uphold the Warrior Ethos? What did the soldier do?

You could do a counseling on your expectations of the soldier and outline/discuss the general values that the army has.

Posts: 404 | Location: Ft. Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The soldier left another stranded at the barracks with no way to get to the PT location. As I can't really slam the soldier for not allowing someone into their vehicle, my supervisor advised me to counsel him to remind him of the warrior ethos, specifically "I will never leave a fallen comrade." I'm currently leaning towards a developmental counseling to ensure that the soldier fully understands all aspects of the warrior ethos and how they should affect his decision making.

Posts: 2 | Location: JBLM, WA | Registered: 01 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Public_Health_Huh?
posted Hide Post
Um....question...Did anyone ask the other stranded Soldier if he/she had tried to contact anyone prior to being stranded? What about that Soldier's supervisor picking them up? Did anyone inform YOUR Soldier to pick up the other?

If none of these questions can be answered effectively, then I don't think this warrants counseling on a 4856, but rather an intimate verbal one-on one between supervisor and soldier. Should you decide to do a 4856 for this specific event, the Soldier might not have the desired response...

Posts: 200 | Location: Presidio of Monterey, California | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MSG W
posted Hide Post
Why did he leave him? Was he running late or did your soldier just want to not give him a ride?

Yes, the Ethos says not to leave a fallen comrade, but in my personal opinion I think this situation is stretching it. A soldier is not obligated to give another soldier a ride.

How far away is the PT location? Your soldier could have walked, got a ride with someone else, or even called a cab.

I have two soldiers right now and one has two cracked rims so he cannot drive his car. My other guy gives him a ride fairly often, but if he isn't ready to go, he gets left and has to walk. Why should my soldier forego breakfast to wait for someone else who can't get ready on time?

Posts: 404 | Location: Ft. Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
I agree with SFC W and 68Rvet...how can you force somebody to give someone else a ride, in their on POV?!?! Unless the unit provides the vehicle, nobody can be told to pick someone else.
I had one of my soldiers belive that it was MY responsibility to get him to work. He was always calling me to give him rides to work, and i always did, no big deal...one day we had TA-50 layout, and he had to bring his stuff to work. He did not called me to tell me he needs a ride (sometimes he will get someone else to pick him up), he just decide not to bring his stuff. When i asked him why he didn't brought his stuff he said that he didn't had a ride, he walked that day. WTF...you could call all the other times you didn't had a ride, but you could't call me now? So i told him to walk home and get his stuff and walk back to work, unless he finds someone to give him a ride...i didn't care how he did it, i told him to get back to work with all his stuff, within one hour. His response was, why don't i give him a ride, because is my responsibility to to take him to work! SO, because i gave him rides to work every time he asked me, he thought that is my responsibility to do that. When i told my superiors the conversation i had with my soldier, they told me that it was fault, that i enabled him by drive him to work all the time, and this way he took me for granted...he thought i was a push-over...well, guess what, i counseled him right away, and show him who he is dealing with, lol.
Ok, i got off track here...bottom line is, is nobody's responsibility to take you to work, but your own...and definately, you can't counsel somebody for not give someone else a ride...unless you are somone else's driver/aide (CSM, BN CDR...), then you will get a Gov. vehicle, and all you do is drive them around, lol.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Is the "stranded" Soldier being counseled for not having a concrete plan on how to get to work/pt everyday? How does your Soldier know it is his responsibility to pick this soldier up? Counseled? Why is it his responsibility to give him rides?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFC W:
I have two soldiers right now and one has two cracked rims so he cannot drive his car.

haha
Bet he's a trip- sounds like a whole lotta bad "life choices" right there... Big Grin

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MSG W
posted Hide Post
Yeah...a string of bad decisions led to it. He let someone (who was getting kicked out of the Army) borrow his car and the guy hit a curb. Guess who doesn't pay to have his car fixed? The guy that was out of the military two days later.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing it has RIMZ!!!! that didn't come from the factory??

Plus reinforces what I tell my 13yr old- you hang out with trash you'll be trash. Try to find the shiny championship trophies and hang out with them..

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
since when is it a soldiers responsibility to get another soldier to PT? you better get yourself out of bed twenty minutes early and be out there picking that soldier up before you want to slam one of your troops sarge.

before you do anything you better figure out what's going on with the soldier who was late... why doesn't he have a POV? where is his money going if he can't afford a car? does he have financial issues? does he need financial counseling? why didn't he coordinate with you for a ride?

even if he can't afford a car a used bike and helmet is only about 50 bucks... you better get that troop on the right track!

Posts: 24 | Registered: 21 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post