ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Lower counseling higher ranking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lower counseling higher ranking
 Login/Join

posted
I had a Soldier ask me a question the other day, and I'm not sure of how to answer.

I know anyone can counsel anyone...it's really just a record of a conversation.

Soldier recently PCSed to a new unit. It's been a couple of months and the Soldier has not received integration counseling and does not feel like he is receiving adequate support. Can he (and I think the better question is would it be appropriate) for him to "counsel" his team leader on what his uniques issues/situation is and what he needs/expects as a member of the team?

It's a novel approach, but I'm not sure how well received it would be.

This is a Soldier who used to be in my squad in a previous unit, so I think it says something about how well he's being integrated that he's contacting me for help in his new unit, but I obviously don't know all the details, and don't want to tell him the wrong thing.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 06 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
No. He just needs to ask for him initial counseling. It's not appropriate for him to "counsel" his leadership.

Posts: 275 | Location: Djibouti | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Common sense needs to be applied. I frequently counsel soldiers of a higher rank, but that is related to topics in my area of expertise.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Indeed this is a novel approach, however it is for the leader to train, mentor and guide the subordinate. The original post actually touches on a wider problem that I'm seeing more and more that is just sad. I have always had integration counseling and then monthly couselings when I was a joe. When I was promoted to SGT I continued this trend and regularly counseled my Soldiers. It is not that hard to take some time during the day to write out some feedback to your Soldiers on how well they're doing and whether or not they are in fact meeting your standards. This Soldier's NCO has no right to complain when his Soldiers do not perform to standard.

Posts: 392 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Warcrimes hit it on the head. You don't mentor higher ranks, but if you are in a staff position for example, the schools nco, you might counsel company level schools ncos that are lower rank on your expectations that they meet suspenses, review packets, this or that...

but not for direct career progression

Most complex problems have very simple solutions.

Posts: 56 | Location: Katterbach Kaserne, GM | Registered: 20 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post