ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Bar for Reenlistment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bar for Reenlistment
 Login/Join

Picture of ejones11b
posted
So I am in a very tough spot right now. I was DA selected for recruiting school upon returning home from deployment and reported back in April. I wasn't supposed to go due to being on profile but I was informed by my leadership that the best course of action would be to get rid of my eprofile and just go to a paper profile for the school (so they didn't have to send a different soldier from my battalion. While I was at recruiting school I took pain meds to make it through pt tests and pt and on 2 separate occasions I overslept and was late to class (1st time 3 mins, 2nd time 10 mins). I was released from class with a Do not return. Upon return I was kicked out of the recon section where I was a team leader and sent to the training room. I have been shuffled around to 3 different positions now in the last month and my command has also put a bar from reenlistment and is recommending me for a reduction board. I overslept due to the medication that the doctors have me on and I am being treated like the biggest shitbag in the world. I'm not a POS soldier I made my E6 in less than 6 years and I have been at the same battalion for my whole army career. In the meantime, my PA has recommended me for a MEB (I have 5 compressed vertebrae and 3 herniated discs). I also have 70% permanent hearing loss. My wife is 8 months pregnant right now and my brigades block leave is right around her due date. My commander has denied my leave and he is also not allowing me to take the 10 days paternity leave (due to the fact that it is at the commander's discretion). I also did a through and through memorandum (what jag suggested) for an extension for my appeal for my bar to reenlist and my CO never gave it to my BN CO so therefore he told the brigade CO that I am not appealing. I am getting royally screwed right now and I need some advice on what to do.

Posts: 1 | Location: JBLM, WA | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EL Jefe
posted Hide Post
What is the bar for? Are you able to fix the issues listed in the bar before it gets reviewed again. Read about what the Bar is for. It's an effective tool to fix soldiers. Not going to elaborate because I think as a SSG you can do the proper research. If you end up in the reduction board, it doesn't mean you are going to get reduced unless the board has enough justification to reduce you, that is what the board is for. Please don't use the "I made my E6 in 6 years". You made SSG in 6 years. I hate NCO that use pay grade to identify themselves. You are a SSG. Do some reading about Bar and reduction boards and be prepared.

Posts: 52 | Registered: 25 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ejones11b:
So I am in a very tough spot right now.

While I was at recruiting school I took pain meds to make it through pt tests and pt and on 2 separate occasions I overslept and was late to class (1st time 3 mins, 2nd time 10 mins). I was released from class with a Do not return. Upon return I was kicked out of the recon section where I was a team leader and sent to the training room. I have been shuffled around to 3 different positions now in the last month and my command has also put a bar from reenlistment and is recommending me for a reduction board. I overslept due to the medication that the doctors have me on and I am being treated like the biggest shitbag in the world. I'm not a POS soldier I made my E6 in less than 6 years and I have been at the same battalion for my whole army career. In the meantime, my PA has recommended me for a MEB (I have 5 compressed vertebrae and 3 herniated discs). I also have 70% permanent hearing loss. My wife is 8 months pregnant right now and my brigades block leave is right around her due date. My commander has denied my leave and he is also not allowing me to take the 10 days paternity leave (due to the fact that it is at the commander's discretion). I also did a through and through memorandum (what jag suggested) for an extension for my appeal for my bar to reenlist and my CO never gave it to my BN CO so therefore he told the brigade CO that I am not appealing. I am getting royally screwed right now and I need some advice on what to do.

Staff-Sergeant, sometimes negative things my happen to us during our career but remember we fall under the UCMJ and as leaders, we always have to ensure that we never allow ourselves to fall into a bad predicament.

When I was a Lance Corporal Marine, I showed up to PT late due to my car breaking down and I was given an article 15. I violated article 86 and my outstanding past could not prevented that. To some, I did not even deserve a second chance.

I worked in the civilian word for over a decade and if you are late or violate any other rule, you can be fired on the spot. I have seen many people terminated and no longer were making money. You have to understand that in the military, you get a lot of chances before being chaptered.

I been back on active duty for nearly a decade and when I was in BNCOC; if you were a minute late, you were getting counseled. My suitemate and myself always looked out for one another and made sure the other was up for PT formation. Remember, the government is paying you to do your part and you failed in that regard based on your current medical condition.

Remember, leave is a privilege; not a right and based on your current performance, I can see why your leadership is responding as such. You need to not consider yourself screwed but work on getting back on the proper path so you no longer have a spotlight on you.

Trust me, even Chief treads water.

Posts: 1651 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post