ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    E-5 initial counseling another E-5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E-5 initial counseling another E-5
 Login/Join

posted
Is the initial counseling for an E-5 initial counseling another E-5 different. Should I just counsel him like any of my other soldiers. No, I am not promotable. Any advice on this matter.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 06 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Is there no one else higher ranking that can counsel both of you? Who is your supervisor?

Even though this can be done (a SGT rating another SGT if the rater has more TIG) I personally do not agree with it.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I happen to be in a section where we are all Sgts and have a WO1. He has done it for us.

Posts: 412 | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So long as you out rank him in grade or position it is acceptable and the same as any other Soldiers initial counseling. Being that he is an NCO and has more duties responsibilities that should be included in the initial counseling.

I am personally an E-5 Squad Leader and have 2 E-5 Team Leaders, I am in charge of counseling and rating them. Because I am senior to them in both TIS/TIG and position.

I would also ensure that you have the counseling reviewed by someone senior to you, if possible, to ensure that you have your bases covered.

Posts: 5 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 17 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
he can counsel and give orders that u must follow by "virtue of his position". AR 27-10

Posts: 62 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you rate the NCO then you can counsel him on a DA 4856 along with a NCOER checklist. The NCOER counseling checklist is mandatory to maintain throughout the rated NCOs rating time. You basically need to explain to the rated NCO what his position is and what is expected of him while you are his rater. You also need to inform the NCO of what he can do in this rating time to earn an excellence bullet by giving him examples of excellence bullets for the different sections on the NCOER. After the initial, you are to counsel the NCO quarterly by updating the NCOER checklist and going over what the rated NCO has accomplished during each three month period (both the good and bad). You can do these counselings on a DA 4856, but must update the NCOER checklist. Hope this helps. I personally have never seen an NCO use a DA4856 for any of the quarterly counselings, only the initial. Furthermore, I have only been counseled a handful of times in the six years that I have worn stripes, but do counsel the soldiers who I rate. We as a NCO Corps need to tighten up our shot groups in this area.

Posts: 62 | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post