ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Developmental Counseling    Need some advice - SPC as SL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice - SPC as SL
 Login/Join

posted
I recently came back to the Army by transferring from inactive reserves... I'm extremely excited to be back because, even though the last year or so not the best, I'll get to be a part of the Army in general again. I came back as a PFC - and after a short few months of receiving my orders and my first drill weekend, I've been promoted back to E-4 (SPC, a rank i held prior to ETSing active), asked to take over a squad - and put in the arms room as a co-armor (under a real NCO of course).

Now i know I'm not a real NCO... but i have been told to do the job of an NCO. Very happy and excited to do so, the problem is - Everything i learned about being an NCO was from active duty NCOs. So when they (i say asked, but really i was told Smiler) asked me to be a new squad leader, the first thing i could thing of was (well since I'm completely new to the unit was: Who exactly are my list of soldiers) and the second was... Can/should i give them an initial counseling - It what every new squad leader i've ever had did for me, and as far as i know... its the standard... I let my PSG know of my intentions to give initial counselings, He said it was a good idea... but what do i say besides the basic standards!? And what should be the most important bullets for a reserve unit? I know i want to establish the basics: Be on time, be in uniform, stay in contact with chain of command, come to me with your problems both army and personal so i can help, pass PT tests, and educate yourself/let me educate you... What else is there? I never went to WLC... but i have had some EXCELLENT leaders in active duty. Am i doing the right thing? What else should i do?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help make me a better leader.
-SPC Anon.

-One last thing... i don't want to treat this position as temporary. Even if the reality is... That it might be... These soldiers deserve better then someone just trying to fill big boy shoes.

Go to the people. Learn from them. Live with them. Start with what they know. Build with what they have. The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves.
Lao Tzu

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post