ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    airborne school for female soldiers
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
airborne school for female soldiers
 Login/Join

Picture of Sierra711
posted
question

is there a difference between jump school and airborne school. I heard females can go airborne. I am trying to PCS to Ft Bragg but will I be sent to this school?

What is the challenging part for a female soldier in this school?? I would love to go Airborne. Will it be physically or mentally challenging?

how long is this school?

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
Airborne school is probably one of the easiest schools in the army. If you can run at a super slow pace for 4 or 5 miles and knock out 10 or more pull up's, you're golden. Jump school and airborne school are the same thing, some people call it jump school others call it airborne school, same location, same school, different name. It shouldn't be any more or less difficult for a female Soldier, than it is for a male Soldier. Everyone is held to the same standard, and ultimately the goal is for you to complete 5 successful exits from high performance aircraft and execute a dynamic PLF (parachute landing fall). Keep your feet and kness together and gravity will do the rest. My only advice would be to follow the black hats instructions to the letter, and don't be late for formations. Oh and don't fall out of any of the runs, I think you get like three times to fall out of a run and then they kick you out. I say you should go for it, being a paratrooper gives you that something extra, that leg soldiers will never have nor experience until they go airborne. Ever notice all special operations in every branch of the military are airborne qualified? Just a little food for thought, the worst that could happen is breaking both femurs and having the jagged bones rupture you femoral artery and bleeding out inside yourself in a matter of minutes, but that hardly ever happens, lol. That was a joke.

Picture of Medical_SGT
posted Hide Post
Yeah Airborne school was great. We had a total of 7 females ( of 9) finish successfully when I went in June of 02. Like SGT T said, listen to the black hats and stretch long and good before the runs.

Go there to learn how to jump and land, not socialize and have fun when off duty.

KEEP YOUR FEET AND KNEES TOGETHER!!! you will pay if you dont- not to scare you. Once you finish though, its probably the most emotional ceremony ever. lol

Airborne all the way!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Soldiers may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.

Posts: 174 | Location: FT. Rucker, AL | Registered: 14 November 2006Report This Post

Picture of sarabeth1981
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old post, but I just had to reply. SGT T, as a female who graduated jump school, your comments deeply offend me. First of all, you are setting this girl up for failure by telling her it's easy. Secondly, I worked my butt off to get my wings, so I don't appreciate having my hard work undermined like that. Statistically, airborne school has one of the highest attrition rates out of all the schools, ESPECIALLY for females. We started with about 40 girls and graduated 4. Most washed out in the initial PT test. They are pretty strict with standards (i.e. pushup form, etc.). Also, when I went through, we had to do a pullup to get in, not sure if that is still a standard, but go there being able to do at least a few just to be safe.
The runs, contrary to what SGT T said, are not slow, and there is a killer hill on one of the tracks. They do run it at a faster pace than they are supposed to...supposedly they aren't supposed to be able to drop people from the class for a run that's over like I think a 9 minute mile, but they do it anyway. Trust me, it's no 9 minute mile. I was in the best shape of my life there, not an ounce of fat on me, and I could max my PT test, and I still had some trouble with the running. The rest of the girls we lost it was almost 100% from the running. But just push yourself through it and it's over fast. You can fall out of 2 runs I believe, But it's better not to fall out of any.
The training itself isn't too bad, but it's pretty physically exhausting as well. Plus all of the falling down and getting back up you'll be doing will make you pretty sore. Bring ibuprofin and Icy Hot.
Airborne school is NOT easy, but it was so worth it. It's not impossible by any means. It's only 3 weeks...It really boils down to how bad you want those wings, and how much temporary physical discomfort you're willing to put up with to get them. And yes, a lot of the challenge is mental too.
As for being stationed at Bragg, not everyone there is airborne, but you have a pretty good chance of being sent to airborne school if you are stationed at Bragg and you request for your unit to send you.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
SGT S

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Bragg | Registered: 08 September 2006Report This Post

Picture of KSoler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sarabeth1981:
I worked my butt off to get my wings, so I don't appreciate having my hard work undermined like that.

I thought it was a joke. Does that make your time there any less difficult? Does it matter? Your experiences are your own.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarabeth1981:
Statistically, airborne school has one of the highest attrition rates out of all the schools, ESPECIALLY for females. They are pretty strict with standards (i.e. pushup form, etc.).

If you go to a school without being able to meet the basic army standards (5 miles at an 8 minute mile, PT test to standard) then you are of course going to fail. If you'd like to see high attrition rates take a look at Ranger School attrition rates.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarabeth1981:
supposedly they aren't supposed to be able to drop people from the class for a run that's over like I think a 9 minute mile, but they do it anyway. Trust me, it's no 9 minute mile.

You're right, it is an 8 minute mile pace for 5 mile. THE ARMY STANDARD.

Look, no one is belittling you or women. The fact is that if you are not ready for a school that you attend when the army standards are staring you right in the face prior, then you should not be there.

Be prepared to do a couple of runs at the 8-minute mile pace, a PT test to standard as you should have been doing in your unit since you joined the military, and be able to do a pullup to standard as it clearly states on their course requirements.

Just pay attention to what they say and try your best to follow it and you will be just fine. Don't get hurt and you'll be better. No one is trying to set you up for failure either here or there.

But at the end of the day Sara, because you found it difficult does not mean someone who finds it easy and says so is insulting you. It was a joke school that got a lot of laughs out of me. I'm glad I did it, but seriously, highest attrition rates? That's because people are lazy.

Posts: 186 | Registered: 23 September 2007Report This Post

Picture of sarabeth1981
posted Hide Post
I still have to disagree. It was not a joke school, and 8 minute miles are NOT the Army standard, by the way. I don't know what planet you joined the Army on, but very few females can maintain an 8 minute mile pace for 2 miles, let alone 5. That's not my oppinion. That's fact. And before you go off again, pontificating to me on how you are sooooo wonderful because you are a PT stud and went to Ranger school (great, I'm happy for you...congratulations), the question wasn't "Is Airborne school easy for Rangers?" or even "Is Airborne school easy for men?". The question was "Is Airborne school difficult for FEMALES?" and the answer is a resounding "yes!". Once again, I'm not saying it's impossible, but there is no denying it is difficult. And I don't see why you are jumping on my case about that.

Picture of KSoler
posted Hide Post
It isn't about Ranger School or not. None of the females in my Airborne class failed. They all came prepared. Some men did not, and they did fail. It is all a matter of your preparation. The army standard is 40 minutes for 5 miles. If you are curious about this, contact airborne school and ask where they get their standards from.

If you are curious to why I say this, it is because we apply the same standard to Ranger School, to Battalion and Post Runs, and every other school I have been to.

8 minute miles, 5 miles, = 40 minutes. I never claimed to be a PT stud. But I stand by the fact that I believe airborne to be a joke school. If you disagree, you're more than welcome to. But don't tell me "that is fact" when you are saying that very few females can maintain 8 minute mile pace for 2 miles, let alone 5. I've seen plenty better.

Picture of sarabeth1981
posted Hide Post
No, once again, the Army standard is NOT 8 minute miles, especially not for 5 miles. And no, MOST females CANNOT maintain that pace. Just because that has been a standard at some of the places you've been in the Army, does not make it an Army wide standard, no matter how badly you would like it to be. Sorry.
Oh, and by the way, I took you up on your suggestion and called the Airborne school. Just as I remembered. The standard is 9 minute miles, plus or minus 15 seconds. But like I said, the pace they ACTUALLY run is a lot faster than that. They end up throwing out some of the runs because they are so much faster than the standard.

Picture of CCMSG
posted Hide Post
OK. KSoler and sarabeth1981---you both keep going back and forth arguing about what IS and what IS NOT Army standard with this 8/9 minute mile run business. KSoler--you are adamant about it being 8 minutes and told sarabeth1981 to contact airborne school and ask about where they get the standards. sarabeth1981--you stated it is "fact"--back it up with the regulation/TM/FM. You both need to act like NCO's (if you are NCO's) and provide the regulatory guidance to one another so that you can be educated. Arguing back and forth like children is unprofessional and shows that you both lack leadership traits expected of an NCO.
Knowledge is power--share it!

Posts: 140 | Location: Fort Sill (FORSCOM) | Registered: 08 January 2008Report This Post

Picture of Sierra711
posted Hide Post
Sarabeth1981 thanks for you input. I am looking forward to better myself even though I am good at PT. I will definitely do more now soo that I can be in shape for Airborne School. I will take your offer to contact you.

KSoler your input does help so that I can ensure to get better and not go to Airborne School just being one standard but what I am suppose to be. I am in a unit where we do not do PT. I workout on my own with my Soldiers so that we can stay fit.

Thanks guys.

Picture of sarabeth1981
posted Hide Post
No problem, Sierra711, the physical standards for the school are also here https://www.infantry.army.mil/airborne/airborne/pt.htm but keep in mind, like I said, they do love to run, and they will run you at a much faster pace than the written standard, so that's probably the most important thing to work on. Good luck!

Picture of KSoler
posted Hide Post
Well, we learn something new every day.

posted Hide Post
The only thing "hard" about airborne school for a reasonably fit male is not getting injured and dropped from the course. Airborne operations are dangerous by their nature, and falling on the ground a bunch of times isn't good for your body (duh.)

In my experience, the standard of being "reasonably fit" varies for females quite a bit. I know some men and a lot of women that have described the course as hard, and I know of a lot of men and a few women that have described the course as easy.

Your mileage WILL vary depending entirely upon you.

Case in point: I'm a dude and it was easy.

My overall opinion: It was hard long before I went through, but hasn't been "hard" for many years. Airborne school is 95% some combination of, mostly, your ability to follow simple instructions, and, much less, not having any bad luck. 5% PT, aches and pains associated with being a paratrooper, and, if applicable, fighting hangovers.

Posts: 9 | Location: Bragg/OCONUS | Registered: 27 May 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you for this discussion. I teach topical English to foreign military personnel before they go on to training here in the US. My current student, a 1LT from Bulgaria, will soon be going to jump school. He now has a much better understanding of what will be expected of him. He's also been exposed to the gender issues in our army - something that he really doesn't face in Bulgaria.

posted Hide Post
There is nothing difficult about Airborne School, take this coming from a female. If you are in relatively good shape and you have the intestinal fortitude to do something like jump out of an Aircraft, than Airborne School is for you. You don't have to be a PT stud as the runs are a 9 minute mile pace. The running should be the last thing you worry about. Being a Soldier in the Army requires individuals to maintain a level of physical fitness that goes beyond merely passing ones PT test with the bare minimum. By the way, before one attends Airborne School their Commander is supposed to give them a 5 mile validation run which that Soldier is required to complete in 45 minutes. That turns out to be a 9 minute mile pace. AIRBORNE SCHOOL IS NOT DIFFICULT FOR FEMALES!!!!! It is no more difficult for females than it is for males, it does not differentiate between genders. I believe that by stating it is more difficult for females than it is for males’ just serves to widen the already prevalent gender gap that exists in the Army. TAKE IT FROM A FEMALE THAT PASSED AIRBORNE SCHOOL, THE RUNNING IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT (AND IF IT IS, THEN HIT THE GYM).