ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    Making PT fun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making PT fun
 Login/Join

posted
Im looking to make PT with my squad more fun. Anyone have some good ideas for things to do durring PT that could be fun and get a good work out at the same time. We cant play sports though. Our troop is not alowed to play sports for PT cuz there are too many low PT scores.

Posts: 43 | Location: Ft. Carson, CO | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
here are a few suggestions:

do a circular formation, then have each person come to the center and give an exercise. This gives the privates a chance to call the cadence (with a little help usually, though some get it right the first time) and when I've done it, everyone seemed to have a good time

do poker PT. Bring a deck of cards to formation, then peel one card at a time. Do something like hearts pushups, diamonds wide arm/close hand pushup, club sit ups, spades flutter kicks. Whatever number comes up, do that many (jacks 11, queen 12, king 13). Aces mean a lap around the track.

Then next time bring a pinochle deck. :twisted:

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
It's all about PROVRBS my friend. Variety is key to motivation in PT.

So really fun things I've seen:

Relay races. Divide the PT element into two collums. Race the groups agains each other and the loser does pushups. Competition is almost always good for morale.

Combatives. It's lots of fun and it developes important skills.

Urban orientiering: divide into groups of 3 or 4, issue them a map of the area with points marked on the map. There is a set time limit and points that are further away from your start/finish are worth more. As an added bonus, put up army trivia (ctt, MOS tasks) questions at the points.

Tae-Bo is cool

Log PT, good for teamwork too

and my personal favorite: divide the platoon into teams, issue each team a strecher and 2 5 gallon water jugs. Give them instructions that they must fill the jugs at a specific point and transport them to another point were there are reported "casualties". When they get to the "casualties" 5 gallons of water is consumed (dumped) and one of the team members becomes a litter urgent casualty. The fun part is when the soldiers think of inovative ways to move the gear. I've seen the obvious carry the jugs on the litter, guys run to the barracks on the way to the water point to get their rucks to carry the jugs, and dragging the jugs by a cargo strap found on the side of the road.

Challenge your soldiers, they'll love it........trust me.

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:029a91cb25="Bradmeister"]here are a few suggestions:

do a circular formation, then have each person come to the center and give an exercise. This gives the privates a chance to call the cadence (with a little help usually, though some get it right the first time) and when I've done it, everyone seemed to have a good time

do poker PT. Bring a deck of cards to formation, then peel one card at a time. Do something like hearts pushups, diamonds wide arm/close hand pushup, club sit ups, spades flutter kicks. Whatever number comes up, do that many (jacks 11, queen 12, king 13). Aces mean a lap around the track.

Then next time bring a pinochle deck. :twisted:[/quote:029a91cb25]

:shock: That evil "Deck of Cards" pt.. you really feel it later in the day.

As far as "fun" pt... The relay races and Combatives... fun stuff.

Posts: 32 | Location: United States Army Deserter Information Point, Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well sense Daddy took all of what I was gonna say out of my mouth :twisted: !

One thing I did back way when was go on a last man up run and the soldier in the back has a football ( most likely the soldier in charge) and passes it to the soldier running. Each dropped pass is 2 or more push ups when you get back to do cool down.

Its not really sports!!

Posts: 290 | Location: MOPP 4 | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:e73a0323d9="4-STAR_CHEMICAL"]One thing I did back way when was go on a last man up run and the soldier in the back has a football ( most likely the soldier in charge) and passes it to the soldier running. Each dropped pass is 2 or more push ups when you get back to do cool down.[/quote:e73a0323d9]

I saw something similiar to this on Hood once ... the Soldiers were running in a line (last man up style) and the Soldier in front had a rock ... looked like it weighed 10 lbs maybe ... he handed it to the guy behind him, who handed it to the guy behind him and so on until it reached the last guy, who ran to the front and handed it back ...

I'm sure that rock got heavy too, after a couple miles.....

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well I did PT once where it was nothing but pushups, situps and run. What made this different and fun was that we broke down into teams. You'd pick four out of each team and have them do pushups simultaneously, but with their legs proped up their team mates upper back...it ended up looking like a big squar and they'd have to go up and down the same time. Which ever team did the most push ups wouldn't have to do any more for losing. The sit ups we'd all be lined up in team sitting next to our team mates. Our legs and arms was linked so when we got up and did a sit-up it'll be as a unit. The most sit-ups a team did won...and didn't have to do pushups Wink Then there where sprint races...

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Daddy warcrimes... how do you do log pt?

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Lewis | Registered: 08 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Team Building is fun:

In an old unit, one day a month was devoted to a platoon race where each squad has a set number of heavy objects to move over a set 30 to 45 minute course. Especially with Privates, do not designate a leader and see who takes charge (on the fly rest plan, who carries what, etc.) Whichever team takes these things into consideration will generally win.

Besides the honor of winning, a worthwhile reward is nice. A day off PT, 4 day pass for the squad that wins the most in a quarter. Whatever your rank and influence can handle.

Daily PT: As stated before, variety, variety, variety. I like Crossfit, but doing it without experience can be a bad thing. Instead of "maintenance PT," I personally like to make PT as hard as I can make it without getting in trouble or people hurt. It sucks at first, but soldiers feel good when they notice improvement, and when they are surrounded by fit peers. If they don't like it, it's only an hour of the day and they are mine! *evil laugh*

Posts: 9 | Location: Bragg/OCONUS | Registered: 27 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DocSki
posted Hide Post
Warcrimes already mentioned log PT, which is something myself and a fellow NCO do a lot with the soldiers. You get a log (preferably a long one) and have 2-4 soldiers carry it as they run, then switch out as you go. We do short distances and a slow pace to keep it safe. We also pull off the run route at times to break it up with other exercises (push-ups, sit ups). Another thing that makes it fun is to challenge other platoons/companies during log PT(whos fastest/ can go the longest). Hope that helps.

Posts: 37 | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sand bag PT is fun if done right, motivation and Sand in the bags!!!!

SGT Books, man of knowledge and owner of many leatherbound books

Posts: 33 | Location: Fort Sill | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In my unit we had a similar idea as the football last man up runs. We would take a dodgeball and the first person would have to throw it to the person behind him with out looking over their shoulder. Then the second would throw it to the third and so on. Once the last person got the ball they had to sprint to the front with it and begin the cycle all over. You drop it, pushups. It can even be done in a race style between two teams.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 20 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT E:
Daddy warcrimes... how do you do log pt?

SGT E! FM 21-20.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
Run sprints and then in between the sprints ask them each a board question. The one's who answer correctly get to sit out 1 sprint. The next time, those who sat out HAVE to sprint but the others get a chance to answer a question. It promotes them to study as well as being a bit more fun.

APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7

Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Combat-Commo25U
posted Hide Post
PT nneds to be made fun!

GOT COMMO?

Posts: 7 | Registered: 03 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post