ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    Question on Conducting Physical Training
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Conducting Physical Training
 Login/Join

posted
I have a copy of FM 21-20, and didn't really find the exact answer I was looking for. I had been told by a friend who just returned from WLC, that saying "Ready..*AND* stretch..." is incorrect, along with little other mistakes that everyone seems to make. I've been leading PT a little more than usual lately, and although no one has had to correct me, I want to be able to back myself up. Plus I don't want to just take someones word on something, I'd like to see it in writing. I should note although that I say "ready, stretch", I can't correct someone else unless I know I'm right (and I also can't correct myself if I don't know I'm wrong..)

Basically..where can I find exact instructions on the commands, and not so much how to do the exercises? FM 21-20 is filled with examples of exercises, and creating a plan for a physical training program, but where does it say "this is how you warm up, cool down..by army standards" ?? I just don't want to steer others wrong, so I'll take the hit for asking the question!

P.S. I'm really hoping I don't have an incomplete version of FM 21-20 and look stupid...

SPC G

Posts: 183 | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have never found an Army manual or regulation that tells us exactly what the commands are. I know that in NCOES they teach a technique. PT commands is something that I'm very surprised the Army hasn't standardized.

SGT Oli
Leaders aren't born, their developed in units and forged in battle.

Posts: 153 | Location: Fort Livingroom, IA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jmavphil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leaders aren't born, their developed in units and forged in battle.

they're developed...not their

Sorry, that was bugging me.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 0311/11B
posted Hide Post
I just go by what they're currently teaching in TRADOC schools i.e. DSS, WLC, etc. there's a person named SSGgunbunny who regularly posts on the Drill Sergeants section who'll probably be able to best help you since DS's usually get the TRADOC updates first.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ft. Benning, GA | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WLC defines the commands just to grade everyone equally on their ability to get up front & lead.

Back at your unit, what I've found, is that repeating strait from a Command sheet isn't important. You can say, "ready, stretch" or ready, and stretch" or "start position, move, and stretch." If the person out front is motivated, gets the group motivated, and pushes themselves to the max, then you've been successful. If you can't keep the group focused (which can also include using commands), then you get embarrassed.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey Mrock4 I believed i have your answer, example: On the command, “Ready, STRETCH,” raise the left arm overhead and place the left hand behind the head. Grasp above the left elbow with the right hand and pull to the
right, leaning the body to the right. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds. On the command, “Starting Position, MOVE,” assume
the starting position. On the command, “Change Position, Ready, STRETCH,” raise the right arm overhead and place the right hand behind the head. Grasp above the right elbow with the
left hand and pull to the left, leaning the body to the left. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds. On the command, “Starting Position, MOVE,” return to the starting position.

You can find all this and more in the Pocket Physical Training Guide, and remember this is the Army, everything you do, is in writing, you just have to do the right re-search, and you will find it!!!

Lead, Follow or get the hell out of the way, 'cause I will run you over!

Posts: 73 | Location: Any DZ | Registered: 22 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Tha_Duke you mean “Starting Position, MOVE,”

WLC teaches you the right way, and if you know what you’re doing you will always have people’s attention!

Posts: 73 | Location: Any DZ | Registered: 22 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
StRaTeGy,

What AR, FM, etc. is the Pocket Physical Training Guide? I think you missed my point. These Commands - from the beginning of the PT session to the end - are not in FM 21-20, which is THE PT Bible. As an NCO, I'm not going to worry about semantics. As long as the instructor is confident, motivates the group, and conducts a challenging but safe PT session, then that's good enough for me.

Posts: 163 | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Pocket Physical training Guide is a Guide the Army did for soldiers to get better in Physical Fitness and Physical training. I put a copy in here!

http://www.ncoschool.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?to..._id=242#forumpost242

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I also agree that as long as the person leading PT is motivated, and is pretty on point..no one cares. That being said, my unit is pretty particular. One senior NCO wants commands this way..while another wants it a different way. It's a constant battle of changing how you conduct PT based on who is present..

Either way, I've given PT several times since posting this. Not too bad. I need to think through the MS sessions a bit more, but my commands/tone are straight. I'm heading to a new unit in 30 days, and want to be squared away, since I am going there as a SPC(p), not a SGT.

Posts: 183 | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of stoicjustice
posted Hide Post
The army is vastly different depending on where you are and who your immediate supervisor is. The correct way to do PT is the way they want it done. If you find that their way is COMPLETELY opposite of a regulation, show some intestinal fortitude and tell them that. If the regulation is ambiguous, do it their way.

APFT iPhone App - http://bit.ly/d9dINL
Submit Army Forms from your iPhone - http://bit.ly/dmlau7

Posts: 153 | Registered: 23 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post