ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    Airborne or Air Assault
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airborne or Air Assault
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to become both of these while im in the Army. Is there actually one better than the other? I can't decide? I have a while before I have a chance to go.. i'm just wonder other peoples points of view..

Posts: 48 | Location: United States Army Deserter Information Point, Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It all depends on wether you want to be a "lawn dart" or a "dope on a rope" :lol: Seriously though, both are good training.

Posts: 319 | Location: Ft. Livingroom | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Which is better is all a matter of perspective. I don't know what type of unit you are in, but different units have different priorities. Sorry, I'm going to put this into a grunt perspective. If you are light infantry or come from a post with light infantry - Air Assault is the badge everyone wants. If you are from an Airborne community or want to be part of it, then Airborne is the badge of choice. Being Air Assault qualified doesn't increase assignment choices (you can only fill non-airborne positions), but Airborne does (you can fill either an Airborne or non-airborne position). You can also consider that fact that there is only 1 Airborne school and a few Air Assault schools, which usually equates to it being harder to get Airborne School. Lastly, there is pay. If you are in a "Paid Parachutist Position" (which are only in Airborne units) you get an extra $150/month. I have both and they were equally challenging and personally rewarding. What it comes down to is what do you want or which would you value more.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's a way to look at it...

When you're a paratrooper, you board the plane, fly to the battle, and jump in. At that point, you become a leg, because when the fighting is over, you have to start walking.

When you're Air Assault, you board the helicopter, fly to the battle, and repel in. When you're done fighting, the helicopter comes in, picks you up, and you fly to the next objective.

Just an opinion.

Posts: 39 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Okay its easy, Jump out of a plane ruck anywhere from 35 to 100 plus pounds off of a drop zone and be a part of a great heritage and in great shape, or fly in by Helicopter slide down a rope do your job then be to lazy to walk anywhere so you call for the same bird to come pick your lazy ass back up? Its up to you! I have both schools and served with both types of units! They are equal in Honor and challenging but you have to decide! It is easier to get Airborne school so try that first then when the opportunity comes about try out for Airassault School. From their you can decide for yourself which one is more important to you![quote:6808529ed5][/quote:6808529ed5]

Posts: 3 | Location: FT. Lewis | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[b:8078823566]AIRBORNE![/b:8078823566]

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:1c4f79c2fe="mpstich2002"]I'd like to become both of these while im in the Army. Is there actually one better than the other? I can't decide? I have a while before I have a chance to go.. i'm just wonder other peoples points of view..[/quote:1c4f79c2fe]
Good tuff choices, and both are challenging plus rewarding. Either way you become a step above the average joe, and in fact can call them "Legs". Things to consider, your height & weight, how long do you plan on doing this, and what benefits are you jockying for. I'm a good sized fellow(over 6' and just under 250), and always seemed to have a higher rate of decent than the others around me. After a while your kness and back will let you know it's time to look elsewhere. I never did like ropes!

Back in 83 I jumped from planes while in flight.
In 03 I learned a new verse to Chairborne Ranger"

Posts: 32 | Location: NE Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Each is unique as everyone has said. Me, I hated heights, so Uncle Sam sent me to both. I have the fear of heights phobia mental block. However, as long as I was touching the ground I was fine. Once the rope was lowered from the helicopter I was fine and the fear went away. When I went to jump school I hated every jump and every jump after that. Helicopter jumps were not as bad as a Mass Tac, but still bad, especially when the Jumpmaster tells you to put your legs out at about 100 feet and the helicopter is just taking off.
I never worried about chute malfunctions though. The Riggers are awesome and I never second guessed their part of the operation. Kudos to anyone in any air operations, be it, Airborne or Air Assault. Thank God, I am done jumping with 48 total jumps. I know some Bragg soldiers in excess of 150. Good Luck.

Posts: 12 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 21 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The nature of teh schools allows you to do both. Remember that you can only do Airborne at Ft. Benning, where you are able to do Air-Assault at most major Army posts around the globe.

Most units will hold competitions when the Air-Assault instructors are in town.

My advice...go Airborne first then work like hell to get Air-Assault or request Ft. Cambpell as a duty station. You will be guaranteed Air-Assault there.

Also, if you do get both qulifications, your Airborne wings go ABOVE your Air-Assault "thingy". This is per regulation 600-ME :shock:

Posts: 48 | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:260e9596b5="SSG L"]Remember that you can only do Airborne at Ft. Benning[/quote:260e9596b5]

You can also do Airborne at Ft Bragg.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just go ranger and call it a day... :lol:
I think that their both great and if you get the oppertunity you should do both.

Posts: 42 | Location: Fort Leonard Wood/Korea bound | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
opportunity Red Faceops:

Posts: 42 | Location: Fort Leonard Wood/Korea bound | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
:twisted: Sapper what do you mean the choppers come back?? Never did when i was there i always went seats out with the inf and ended up getting back the same way they did on my LPC'S

Posts: 25 | Location: Camp Stanley | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just like everything else in life, both choices have highs and lows. But if you can get both, go for it. Make yourself more useful. And while you're at it try for Ranger School; not because its hard, but because it is a great combat leadership school. And for the record. You can wear jump wings and air assault wings either way. I personally would wear my AA wings above my jump wings so I don't have to take them off and put the AA wings above my Rigger wings.

Posts: 161 | Location: Fort Livingroom, IA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:315c750323="GoOrdnance62"]Just go ranger and call it a day... :lol:
I think that their both great and if you get the oppertunity you should do both.[/quote:315c750323]

hahaha

Posts: 324 | Location: Here, There, Every where | Registered: 06 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post