ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

   

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum
 
ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    Cardio Improvement PT
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cardio Improvement PT
 Login/Join
 

posted
I'm an NCO in charge of a few soldiers. The majority of our unit works shift and conducts pt externally from the company. I have 2 soldiers doing poorly on their diagnostic APFT in the run event. I have a hard time conducting cardio pt with these guys because I'm on a permanent (no running) profile. I've been doing Treadmill, Elliptical, and Track PT, but it doesn't seem to have an improvement impact on these guys. Keep in mind that we are using the new PRT also. I'm looking to help me them improve their run time without me running with them, any suggestions.
Thank you
 
Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Meade, MD | Registered: 13 March 2010Report This Post

posted Hide Post
If you can not do impact cardio exercises then I would reccommend you not lead theses Soldiers in remedial PT.

1st off running on treadmills and running outside are 2 completely different things. If your PT test is outdoors you need to be running outdoors, simple.

I don't want to keep in mind that you are using the new PRT, the point is to get these guys to pass their record APFT, you really shouldn't worry about the new PRT, do what works.

One thing you can do is some swimming and even biking. (You can rent bikes from some MWRs)

When it comes to running a short distance such as 2 miles, me personally, I like to do 1/4 mile sprints, alot of hill sprints or just plain terrain running, and running past 2 miles such as 2.5 or 3 miles.

These Soldiers of yours just need to get out and run
 
Posts: 468 | Registered: 08 November 2011Report This Post

posted Hide Post
60/120s are always great run improvement sessions.

If you are not familiar, have them sprint as fast as they can for a sustained 60 seconds (no stopping for 60 seconds) then fast walk (not slow walk or small paces) for 120 seconds. I can't remember if we started with 60/120s and progressed to 30/60s...but the idea either way is to push yourself.

The great part about this is you can do that on a PT track and stand in the middle or walk it yourself with a whistle to signify run/walk portions.

Too cold to do that outside? Sprint/Run the 'HORSE' lines in a gym i.e. at the start line dash out to the first line marked on the floor (typically the free throw line of the basketball court), touch it turn around and dash back to the start point turn around go to the next line out from the 1st line and repeat by going back to start point then out to the next line etc.

Iron Mikes are great run time improvers as well, especially when used with the horse exercise by sprinting out and iron miking back to start line.

Personally I have found that running uphill has helped as well. Being stationed in Germany I can find hills everywhere, not sure where there.

Finally, if you feel your profile is too much a hindrance, is there any other NCO(s) that have soldiers needing to improve? Buddy up and you take the track sessions while they do the trail runs. Of course this is all from my experience and entirely in my humble opinion. Good luck!
 
Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBarbarian1532:

1st off running on treadmills and running outside are 2 completely different things. If your PT test is outdoors you need to be running outdoors, simple.


or at least have a 1.5% to 2% incline set on the treadmil to simulate running on the track (you need to have an incline IOT offset the fact that the treadmill is being driven by a motor)
 
Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Just from my observations…many people do not incorporate enough speed work. I've seen way to many running failures who hit the treadmill jogging along at a failing pace for 45 min, and wonder why they aren't getting any faster. "But I run 3-4 miles almost every night!" Yeah, so your overall endurance might be improving, but 2-miles is more of a sprint than a marathon.
It can be hard to do at the track, because it depends on personal motivation...they may push it for one or two sprints, then when it gets uncomfortable they slow down for the remainder of the time.
On the treadmill or elliptical, however, they can't cheat...and it is easy for you to monitor them. The treadmill will force them to increase their pace...or if safety is a concern, then you can do it on an elliptical and just strictly monitor their pace.
These are just general suggestions for improving 2-mile run, and should be tailored to the individual and based on existing fitness and health/safety concerns.
Have them do a 5-minute warm up, then do 15-20 minutes alternating a minute sprint with a minute easy jog...make sure they are pushing it 85%-90% on the sprints. Finish with a 5-10 minute cool-down and some light stretching. For example…5 minutes warm-up, 1 minute at 9 MPH, 1 minute at 5.5 MPH, 1 minute at 9 MPH (etc.), then cool-down. I wouldn’t go over 20 minutes total for the sprint/jog portion (because if they are doing it right they will be near or at the max heart rate for most of that time), but you can adjust the sprint to jog ratios or increase speed.
You can also have them run at a target pace (maybe somewhere between their current 2-mile pace and their desired 2-mile pace), and increase the elevation of the treadmill until they absolutely cannot maintain that pace anymore, then slowly lower it for a total of 20 minutes or so. Alternately, use the hill workout program on the elliptical at a level that makes them work...and they have to maintain the same pace for a 20 minute workout (not including warm-up and cool-down). The key is hitting that target pace that makes them uncomfortable and hold it.
It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of actual hard work, 5 minutes of warm-up and 5-10 minutes of cool down. It can be a very effective 40-minute workout. I find soldiers are more willing to push it really hard for 20 minutes knowing they’ll be done in under 45 minutes, rather than droning on and on for an hour without putting forth that maximum effort.
I would have an easy jog day between these workouts...maybe that moderate 45 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical at 60%-70% heart rate. Maybe Monday sprints, Wednesday “long run” and Friday Hill...and a fun run on the weekend.
You just have to be there to make sure they are putting forth their best efforts and increasing difficulty (either time or speed/level) as needed.
 
Posts: 23 | Registered: 28 February 2007Report This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kargin:
60/120s are always great run improvement sessions.

If you are not familiar, have them sprint as fast as they can for a sustained 60 seconds (no stopping for 60 seconds) then fast walk (not slow walk or small paces) for 120 seconds. I can't remember if we started with 60/120s and progressed to 30/60s...but the idea either way is to push yourself.


This WORKS.!
Do 60/120 6-7 times, One.Hundred.Percent.Effort. the entire 60seconds.
Then do 30/60 6-7 times, same thing.

I dropped my run time 2min in about a month, just trying to beat the PVTs when I was teaching AIT. We played "NCO tag"- if they looked like they weren't trying and I was passing them then I would tag them- which meant they did pushups instead of walking during the 120seconds. Didn't take long to figure out how they could win that game. Wink (Also fun was many of the younger guys passing me trying to tag me. Many of them did, but my rulez were the rulez....)


Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me
 
Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Report This Post

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted Hide Post
What helped me was alternating bike/run. One night, I would bike for 45 minutes with it set on about 11-13 depending on how I was feeling. The next night I would run at a very slow pace on the treadmill for 40-60 minutes, like barely breathing hard. My goal was to lose weight/tone up but on my next PT test I dropped about a minute and a half. I realize there's no speed work to this, and I would also recommend like others have said, the 60-120's. We did them a lot in AIT and I dropped a lot of time off my run there as well.
 
Posts: 758 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Sunday (or your "Sunday Equivalent if on swing shift)= Hydrate, drink more water throughout the day in anticipation for the week's workout

Monday= 15min at 2mile pace. That is right! Push yourself. Minute 12:30 to 15min SUCK but you have fresh legs from resting up over the weekend, you are young, Army Doc. has cleared you and your heart is not going to bounce out of your chest (even though it feels like it)

Upper body (done right it helps your run)= 1min PU, rest 30sec, 45sec PU, rest 30 Sec, 30sec PU, rest 30 Sec, 15 sec PU (short rest, continuous movement and form are all key!)

Total workout time is 1.5hours

Tuesday= Sprints! Too many to have a complete list but here are a few....Telephone poles, sprint from one set, jog the next do that for 2.5 miles....Fartlek runs in formation for 3 miles...On a standard 1/4 mile track, sprint the straights and jog the turns ( the first week start in lane 1 and work your way to the outer lane, each week add a lane)

Core (to run well you need to breath, good abs help with this)=ABS, lots of them! Again the key is very little rest between sets, and keep the reps high, no less than 50 reps per exercise and no more than 1min between sets

total workout time is 1.5hours

....to be continued
 
Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgh4415:
Hydrate, drink more water


Can't stress this enough, proper hydration makes a huge difference in your run.
 
Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Every individual have different capacity. They should be given time to adjust and compete with others. I liked your time table of work outs and other things. This would not be stressful i guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Daddy Warcrimes,
 
Posts: 1 | Location: U.S | Registered: 06 February 2012Report This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
First off since you cannot run you need to invest in a golf cart. Secondly Have them do Fart lek runs for distance. The days that you do sprints have them doing 60/120s or 30/60s but on the distance days you can ride next to them on your golf cart and blow the whistle and have them run in formation and either use light poles or something that you see an abundance of and have them sprint pole to pole. Also last man up runs are good as $hit too. You best believe that the human race is a competitive race and they will all be trying to keep up with the rest of the pack when it comes to those light poles. Also ruck marches do wonders throw that in there sometimes...Hell even you can do that.


Get Some!
 
Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FIFTYCRUSHPLAN:
First off since you cannot run you need to invest in a golf cart. Secondly Have them do Fart lek runs for distance. The days that you do sprints have them doing 60/120s or 30/60s but on the distance days you can ride next to them on your golf cart and blow the whistle and have them run in formation and either use light poles or something that you see an abundance of and have them sprint pole to pole. Also last man up runs are good as $hit too. You best believe that the human race is a competitive race and they will all be trying to keep up with the rest of the pack when it comes to those light poles. Also ruck marches do wonders throw that in there sometimes...Hell even you can do that.


@ Fifty Crushplan,

If your post was ment to insult Sgt Maynard then "mission accomplished". However, lots of NCO that are not on a permanent (no running) profile may also like some tips on training soldiers that struggle with the run on the APFT.

Do you have anything to say to help that audience? (if it was not clear, my tone of voice in my last sentence was "your a "$ick" and I hope you redeem yourself in your next post. But I doubt you will)
 
Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Report This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgh4415:
quote:
Originally posted by FIFTYCRUSHPLAN:
First off since you cannot run you need to invest in a golf cart. Secondly Have them do Fart lek runs for distance. The days that you do sprints have them doing 60/120s or 30/60s but on the distance days you can ride next to them on your golf cart and blow the whistle and have them run in formation and either use light poles or something that you see an abundance of and have them sprint pole to pole. Also last man up runs are good as $hit too. You best believe that the human race is a competitive race and they will all be trying to keep up with the rest of the pack when it comes to those light poles. Also ruck marches do wonders throw that in there sometimes...Hell even you can do that.


@ Fifty Crushplan,

If your post was ment to insult Sgt Maynard then "mission accomplished". However, lots of NCO that are not on a permanent (no running) profile may also like some tips on training soldiers that struggle with the run on the APFT.

Do you have anything to say to help that audience? (if it was not clear, my tone of voice in my last sentence was "your a "$ick" and I hope you redeem yourself in your next post. But I doubt you will)


Now its my turn!!! First of all when you quote someone its not neccessary to say @FIFTYCRUSHPLAN. Secondly if your gonna use the @whoever, you should replicate the name the right way. Third I myself have a permanent profile. Therefore I can make that joke. Are you really that dense to see that someone saying something so off the wall, followed by genuine help I.E. the 60/120s, ruck marches, fart lek runs etc. is a joke? You need to get a personality. Also here is the thing USUALLY, and this is by no means an always deal, but USUALLY. With a permanent profile it USUALLY will say "Run at your own pace and distance" or however it is worded. Just because someone has a permanent profile doesnt mean that they cannot run at all. Now lets address your second paragraph where you say "your a $ick" What the hell does that mean, are you a little bit slow? Your put down was lame at best, I am assuming your trying to compensate for small genitals. Anyway... Im not going to feed into this childish banter anymore than I have to. You clearly are butt hurt from this and I'm gonna stop before you end up choke starting a shot gun, and nobody would wanna see that happen even though there is a draw down in troops, and that would eliminate one for sure $hit bag!


Get Some!
 
Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I can tel you from experience that unless you have a totally debilitating injury you should be able to do cardio that will improve your run times. Im a huge advocate for programs such as P90X and Insanity. I personally went from scoring average push ups and situps to beyond maxing those events. I am actually on a permanent profile and do the 2.5 mile walk, however I have a profiel that allows me to do running at my own pace and distance. With this said I took upon doing Insanity workouts 3 times a week combined that with the P90X program and was able to do a 2 mile run in 16 minutes after not doing the run event for more than 4 years.

Insanity is a program that you do not need any equipment, just your sheer determination. Its a killer and your body will be put through cardio like never before. The only issue is that you have to go out and buy the program but your advantage now is that you can have a more personalized workout with your soldiers since its only 2 soldiers. If you think this DVD program is a joke give it a try and Ill be willing to put my money on the table that if you follow it for 60 days they will pass without any issues.

BTW you can check out the programs at www.beachbody.com
 
Posts: 26 | Registered: 17 August 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FIFTYCRUSHPLAN:
Third I myself have a permanent profile. Therefore I can make that joke. Are you really that dense to see that someone saying something so off the wall, followed by genuine help I.E. the 60/120s, ruck marches, fart lek runs etc. is a joke?


No, I am not well versed in the humor of those on perm. profile. My bad.
 
Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  

Closed Topic Closed

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Training / NCODP    Cardio Improvement PT

 
   
 
    
 
 
  
Google Site maps Generator Tool