Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M249 Clearing
 Login/Join

posted
3-22.68 says that at all times you should assume the m249 is loaded, which means every time you clear it, even if the bolt isn't cocked back, you cock it back and put the weapon on safe right? Just wondering if you can clear an m249 PROPERLY by just opening the v-tray and taking rounds off when the bolt is already forward. It seems that by doing this, you are going against FM 3-22.68. Thanks for any feedback, I'm just wondering if it's right to clear an M249 that has the bolt already forward and rounds in the v-tray by opening the v-tray and taking the rounds off, THEN doing the proper clearing procedure described in 3-22.68

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewskee:
3-22.68 says that at all times you should assume the m249 is loaded, which means every time you clear it, even if the bolt isn't cocked back, you cock it back and put the weapon on safe right? Just wondering if you can clear an m249 PROPERLY by just opening the v-tray and taking rounds off when the bolt is already forward. It seems that by doing this, you are going against FM 3-22.68. Thanks for any feedback, I'm just wondering if it's right to clear an M249 that has the bolt already forward and rounds in the v-tray by opening the v-tray and taking the rounds off, THEN doing the proper clearing procedure described in 3-22.68

According to the reg no... realistically yes.

It fires from the open bolt so if the bolt is forward and the rounds are lying on top and you know you haven't fired it, Ok

Rounds do get stuck in barrels. Do what's right, you can't go wrong

Posts: 468 | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Realistically yes? So if someone doesn't realize they half-cocked it, and opens the v-tray w/o locking the bolt back, and putting it on safe, that's an ND. Maybe that's why the FM only shows one way of clearing it rather than two? I understand that when you put rounds in the saw with the bolt forward you need to charge it back to fire a round, which is why most Soldier's are just lifting the V-tray up and taking the rounds out w/o locking it back and putting it on safe. It makes sense. My problem is, the FM shows only one way to clear the SAW, that's the way I've taught it and I'm getting told that I'm an idiot for telling someone to lock the bolt back and clear it based off the FM, rather then just lifting the V-tray up and taking rounds out, and THEN clearing it. According to the FM, it doesn't matter if the bolt is forward or not. There's just the one way to clear it. I'm being told that I'm wrong, the FM says I'm right. They talked down to me and said I don't have an EIB, and that the EIB standard is different. I'm just confused as to if my leadership is trying to cover their own butt or if by some angle, I'm wrong.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post