ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  General NCO Discussion    Overseas Service Ribbon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overseas Service Ribbon
 Login/Join

posted
I currently wear one overseas service ribbon for my 3 year assignment in Hawaii. After leaving Hawaii, 911 happened and I went on 4 deployments.

Deployment 1:
5 months at Camp Doha Kuwait where I was awarded an AAM and an AFEM for security missions. We were deployed from Kuwait to Afghanistan.
45 days in Afghanistan where I was awarded the GWOTEM and my "combat patch" right shoulder insignia for combat operations on a mortar team.

Deployment 2:
2 months at Camp Phoenix Afghanistan conducting force protection. I was awarded the ACM and an ARCOM.

Deployment 3:
12 months all over Bagdad Iraq conducting combat ops. I was awarded an ARCOM, CAB, a MUC, an ICM with star, and 2 overseas service bars.

Deployment 4:
15 months in the triangle Iraq conducting combat ops. I was awarded an ARCOM, ICM star, VUA, and 2 overseas service bars.

I've been through the regs and can't find definitive proof that I'm authorized any overseas service ribbons for my deployments. I see dudes wearing them but I don't know and can't find the standard. It's so seldom that anyone does class A inspections anymore but when we have them, 1SG doesn't give a damn about verifying ribbons. I'm eligible for promotion and need to make sure my DA photo is straight, not to mention I want my troops wearing what is owed them and not wearing something unauthorized. Can someone help a brother out?

Posts: 1 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
From what I can tell. You should be wearing the OSR with the numeral 3.

The ribbon is awarded for being stationed in Hawaii. Deployment 3 and 4 both earn you a 2nd and 3rd ribbon.

Why were your first 2 deployments so short? Also, did you deploy out of Hawaii for your first deployment?

I ask why your first 2 deployments were cut short because if your tour was cut short due to something out of your hand, for instance troop reduction, MEDEVAC, CASEVAC, etc. then you are authorized the OSR for that deployment.

For instance, I was part of the troop reduction in Afghanistan in 2009. I was deployed 5 months and was sent back for the reduction. I am authorized the OSR for it, since it was way above me.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Okay so what if you have a Soldier who just got out of basic training and deployed to Iraq for 6 months, his unit did 15 month deployment in total, but becase he was fresh out of basic he only got to do 6 and he returns with his unit, he doesn't qualify for the OSR does he?

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBeezy:
Okay so what if you have a Soldier who just got out of basic training and deployed to Iraq for 6 months, his unit did 15 month deployment in total, but becase he was fresh out of basic he only got to do 6 and he returns with his unit, he doesn't qualify for the OSR does he?

That, I have no idea. I just know if your tour was cut short from powers above you then you get the OSR.

No idea about your example. Maybe Autobahn or someone else knows.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of erikwithak86
posted Hide Post
There is an OSR FAQ on S1 net.

LBeezy, I don't think that would cover the brand new private who was a late deployer. His tour wasn't cut short, he showed up late.

It's been awhile since I've looked at it, but I'm pretty sure it says since there are no established tour lengths for combat tours you have to either do 9 months consecutive, or 11 months cumulative within 24 months to be authorized an OSR for your combat tours.

From what the OP posted, it looks like what you said is right, an OSR with numeral 3. 1 for his Hawaii tour, and 1 for each Iraq tour. Neither Afghanistan tour meets time requirements.

Posts: 707 | Registered: 18 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
Too easy:

If you do a tour over 9 months, you get an OSR for that tour.
If you do a tour less than 9 months, you can add all tours less than 9 months together to achieve 11 cumulative months and receiv an OSR.

Soldier should receive 3 awards; 1 for Hawaii, one each for Deployment 3 & 4.

To get a fourth OSR, the soldier would need to complete at least 4 more months of short tours. (i.e. a short tour of 4 months, a short tour of 7 months, two short tours of 2 months each)

“Soldiers who serve a minimum of 11 cumulative months or 9 continuous months in Iraq in a TCS/TDY status get credit for a completed short tour. Your reference is AR 614-30 (23 Sep 04), Table 3-2, rules 5 and 7. Iraq and Afghanistan are considered isolated areas where tour lengths have not been established by DOD; therefore, the Army gives equivalent credit for periods of TCS/TDY. Also, since there is no official established DOD tour length, Soldiers cannot serve in Iraq in PCS status. To determine the overseas tour lengths refer to Table 1, Appendix Q, Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), Volume 1. You will not find a tour length for Afghanistan or Iraq.”

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan

Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98Chuck4O_35Novice4O:
“Soldiers who serve a minimum of 11 cumulative months or 9 continuous months in Iraq in a TCS/TDY status get credit for a completed short tour. Your reference is AR 614-30 (23 Sep 04), Table 3-2, rules 5 and 7. Iraq and Afghanistan are considered isolated areas where tour lengths have not been established by DOD; therefore, the Army gives equivalent credit for periods of TCS/TDY. Also, since there is no official established DOD tour length, Soldiers cannot serve in Iraq in PCS status. To determine the overseas tour lengths refer to Table 1, Appendix Q, Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR), Volume 1. You will not find a tour length for Afghanistan or Iraq.”

If you bring in table 3-2 then why exclude Rule 2 which states "Less than the normal prescribed overseas tour, and curtailment is for the convenience of the Government and through no request from or fault of the Soldier"?

I understand your reference that there is no officially established DoD tour length for deployment but why should the dates on your TDY orders not count as your 'normal' in this instance?

In my case I deployed to Iraq for the end of OND and was there for approximately 2 months before they gave us a "Mission Complete" and redeployed us to our previous units (am from a hospital so we're PROFIS personnel.) It makes little sense when I was there for the 12 month deployment (shorter than the minimum 11 months or 18-24 mentioned in Table 3-2 Rules 5&7 [30MAR2010]) but the operation was closed out. I'm not saying it isn't fair I'm just trying to find the justification for why under circumstances outside of anything I control I should not be awarded it.

I know where the water is and I'll drink it of course if that's that but if there's any other tips I'd be more appreciative.

Posts: 79 | Location: Landstuhl RMC | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post