ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  General NCO Discussion    Soldier Can't afford a haircut
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soldier Can't afford a haircut
 Login/Join

posted
I have this Soldier that literally has an excuse for everything. Well now, one of his favorite excuses is that he can't afford this or that. I have never told him to buy anything. But in some cases 10 dollars here or 20 dollars there is just more convenient. Its just another option on the table to spend your own money on small necessities so you can have a packing list completed on time. Anyway, it's to the point where I want to know what I can do to help this Soldier with his finances. Apparently he has to have a friend cut his hair because he can't afford to buy his own haircut. It seems like it's time for the Army to get involved in his finances, or at least I'd like to inform him of what the Army is capable of doing if it senses that he's financially unstable. Thank you for any help.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Counsel the Soldier, have him show you a budget, enroll him into finance course at ACS.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does your packing list consist of anything not issued or not listed as a clothing bag item?

I definitely agree with financial counseling done by trained professionals (not his FLL in most cases). Command referral may even be appropriate if the situation is sufficiently documented.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Soldier60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
Counsel the Soldier, have him show you a budget, enroll him into finance course at ACS.

Agreed. Make sure he is aware that he must comply with the haircut standards in AR 670-1.

Ive had a few Soldiers throughout my career similar to this one. The most recent one was a little different though. After a month of trying to get to the bottom of his problems I found out that his wife was a raging alchoholic and she was spending his money as fast as he could bring it in to buy more booze.

It's not always the bad Soldier, sometimes it's just the bad situation.

Posts: 145 | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post