ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  General NCO Discussion    SSG Promotion Board Appearance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SSG Promotion Board Appearance
 Login/Join

posted
Right now I'm at 44mo TIS and 12MO TIG as of 02SEPT13. My FS is pushing me to go to the promotion board daily, and wants to send me to the board in OCT. I will only have 45mo TIS at that point and I know that isn't possible because 46mo TIS is the min TIS with waiver. I told him that, so he wants to send me to the NOV board instead. I've read over AR 600-8-19 PG 25, and it states that with a waiver the TIS requirement is 46mo TIS/5 months TIG so that would work. My question is how do I go about getting a waiver? I already went to BN S-1, and they had never even heard of that before (We have one of the worst S-1s I've ever seen, and it has had over 20 IG complaints filed on it in the last 2.5 years, not exaggerating). I will be PCSing in Jan, so I am trying to get everything squared away as soon as possible. Any help you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

SGT F

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
So this is outside secondary zone consideration? If it is, you are not eligible. Also, for secondary you need the required amount of current promotion points to attend. <--(edit) The bold is incorrect. Your leader should consult with the 1SG (I hope FS did not mean First Sergeant) in turn with the CSM. I had E5s with more TIS/TIG than you and still did not meet secondary zone requirements.

SSG in less than 4 years? No way. You need to develop. The Army is soon going with more time in grade for their NCO ranks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Chief,

Thank you for your response. I was in the reserves for 4 years prior to going active. I have almost 8 years in the army total. However when you go active they calculate your TIS based on only the actual drill dates, so my 4 years equaled around 6 months. You also take a rank reduction usually as well when you go active (I did). I am in 2 E6 and 1 E7 slots currently. That is one of many reasons my First Sergeant ( and I put FS vs 1SG because that is the way he has directed everyone to address him via email so it is just habit) wants to send me so badly. There are no point requirements to appear before the board. AR 600-8-19, pg 25, states you can appear before the board at 46mo tis/5mo tig with a waiver but gives no guidance on how that process works or is initiated. That is what I am trying to figure out. Is that just the regs way of saying those are the secondary zone requirements? If that is the case, why does the monthly cutoff score sheet say 47mo tis and which takes precedence? I already went to S1 and they had no idea which brought me here. I should have clarified that in my post. I apologize. Thank you again. Sorry for any typos. Doing this on my cell.

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I been on Army AD for ten years and prior to that I was in the Guard, Reserves and Marine Corps active with a long date of service; so I was in a similar boat as you.

Your TIS is 8 years. And that reflects on your LES for pay (should show 7 for pay). What is adjusted is your BASD which differs from your DIEMS/PEBD.

What was your rank that you left in the Reserves? I made up to E-6 in the Guard but then an administrative issue put me at E-5 and when I came active, I signed a form to approve my administrative reduction to E-4. I was an E-4 with PLDC (WLC) and BNCOC (ALC) completed so I had to go to personnel to fix up a jacked ERB at the time. Also, my TIG was fixed when I was an E-4 so I wouldn't have to weight 8 months to go to an E-5 board.

If you go to https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Enlisted%20Promotions and put your mouse under the SSG icon, it will show the requirements in which you do meet.

posted Hide Post
Every month the CDR signs the AAA-117, for promotions up to SPC, and the AAA-294, that covers promotions to SGT and SSG. If you look at the AAA-294 you will see three entries for SGTs, 1st is fully eligible, 2nd is eligible with waiver, and third is non-promotable. If your name is in either of the first two catagories then your CDR can circle yes. That document is submitted to S1 every month. If the yes is circled that means your CDR has recommeneded you to attend the promotion board. Depending on local policy, you will be put in touch with S1 or S1 will get in contact with you to set up a time to update your records.

There really is no such thing as an actual waiver form that needs to be processed. Well none that I have ever seen and I was promoted to SSG in the secondary or with a waiver and I never saw any waiver paperwork in my packet.

As to the points, no there is no points requirement to attend the promotion board, but you must have a certain amount of points to be placed on the promotable list, C-10 roster.

Posts: 209 | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Chief,

If that is the case then someone royally screwed me. I'm being paid for 3 with 44mo TIS reflecting according to S1. They did some shady stuff when I went active but I was in a desperate situation and didn't have time to fight it(got laid off from a civilian job and was about to be homeless). I was also in the SMP program at the time, and had to scrap that because of the situation. Just overall cluster. I was an E5 and they told me I couldn't come in any higher than an E3, I should have fought them on it but again didn't have the time to. My ERB was wiped somehow as well and I had to resumbit all my awards, transcripts ect. Someone, somewhere royally messed up but that is really neither here nor there at this point. At least I'm somewhat back on track for being 28.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by InfantrytoSignal:
As to the points, no there is no points requirement to attend the promotion board, but you must have a certain amount of points to be placed on the promotable list, C-10 roster.

Good stuff SSG. Our CSM did not allow secondary to go to the promotion board that did have at least 400 promotion points and I found out that was BS.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGTF86:
Chief,

If that is the case then someone royally screwed me. I'm being paid for 3 with 44mo TIS reflecting according to S1. They did some shady stuff when I went active but I was in a desperate situation and didn't have time to fight it(got laid off from a civilian job and was about to be homeless). I was also in the SMP program at the time, and had to scrap that because of the situation. Just overall cluster. I was an E5 and they told me I couldn't come in any higher than an E3, I should have fought them on it but again didn't have the time to. My ERB was wiped somehow as well and I had to resumbit all my awards, transcripts ect. Someone, somewhere royally messed up but that is really neither here nor there at this point. At least I'm somewhat back on track for being 28.

I have 10 years in the Reserve components with 14 AD. My LES has me at 24 years of service for pay. You should get all your documents (also go to the HRC website) https://www.hrcapps.army.mil/portal/ and check your reserve record. I will also get all your LES in the Reserves and go to finance ASAP for further info to get fixed. If it is inaccurate, personnel will have to fix it. You are losing pay because of it.

If I had 14 years, my base pay would be 4704. With 24, my base pay is 5346. That is a $642 a month difference. $7704 a year. To me that is a big difference.

In your case its 2530 (4 years E5) versus 2894 (8 years E5) a month. Wow!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
BTW, if your ERB and LES only reflects 44 months of TIS, you are not eligible for the E6 board even though you were in the Reserves. You have to get that time added and counted to be recognized for your almost 8 years of service. When you packet goes up; its going to get kicked back. If they check from what you telling us.

posted Hide Post
Hey Chief, Forgot to reply back earlier. Just wanted to add that I got all the admin stuff sorted out (after a LOT of paperwork), went to the board in Jan, and picked up my "P" status, got my NCOER, and a week later got told I was going to be the new HQ PSG till I leave lol (Not leaving till July now) Gotta love the Army. Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.