ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  General NCO Discussion    Extra duty limitations?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Extra duty limitations?
 Login/Join

posted
I live in the barracks at Ft. Bragg. I'm only an e4, but when NCO's treat junior enlisted what I feel i wrong, I get pissed off. Bad. According to Ft. Bragg Policy (according to the MP Station who wouldn't do shit about it at that.), there's a unit Senior NCO who has a soldier who is on extra duty WEED EATING at 2345. Now, some of you may be like, it's a weed eater, you can't hear it in the barracks, it's not bad. Well, some of us don't have A/C in the barracks, even if we did, it's good to have fresh air, and have to have their window's opend and for me, stuff like this DOES wake me up.

Is there a time where you have to stop extra duty? I'm still going to talk to my SGM in the morning about it. Because I think it's dead wrong having a soldier working this late, doing things like that to soldiers is dead wrong. There's rules about levels in family housing, and if someone was weedeating there, there'd be something done. and I personally think it's messed up that something like that is allowed to happne here. when I called the MP station (for the second time) a SPC answered, and pretty much told me that I should just live with it. I'm sorry, but I can't.

all in all, is there a time limit (on bragg atleast) about how late someone is allowed to be on extra duty? I heard that according to regs, someone's only got to give you FOUR hours of rest (i haven't seen it, so I don't know).

Posts: 27 | Location: Fort Bragg | Registered: 20 March 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
<<<<all in all, is there a time limit (on bragg atleast) about how late someone is allowed to be on extra duty? I heard that according to regs, someone's only got to give you FOUR hours of rest (i haven't seen it, so I don't know)>>>>

Check Army Regulation 27-10 Military Justice

Lead, Follow or get the hell out of the way, 'cause I will run you over!

Posts: 75 | Location: Any DZ | Registered: 22 February 2008Report This Post

Picture of 68WWife/92FSoldier
posted Hide Post
so if a weedeater bothers you that much how do you expect to sleep like a rock in iraq? i mean i'm just curious. if it really bothers you that bad just order some bose headphones or something...

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Advice... Go upstairs, grab your big girl panties, and put them on....

Posts: 289 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 15 February 2008Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Extra duty ends at 2300 on weekends and 2200 on Week days, ALTHOUGH IF THE NCO FEELS IT NECESSARY, they can keep the soldier until midnight.

Posts: 89 | Location: Ft.Myer, VA | Registered: 01 January 2006Report This Post

Picture of teh_hook
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Well first off I registered on this site just for the simple fact to respond to this post..

I agree with you sunizo, But going to the SGM FIRST isnt the right idea. Do you know the NCO who is giving the punishment? Is that NCO in your Chain of Command? If he is, or isn't, tell your first line supervisor what's going on and he SHOULD! go talk to someone who can do something about it. I don't know what that soldier did blah blah blah but if its keeping other soldiers up who have not gotten into trouble then that's wrong imo.

I mean if you go talk to your NCO's who are SUPPOSED to be taking care of you this is what could happen, maybe one of them will say something along the lines of "your waking my soldiers up with a weedeater @ midnight, get some hedge clippers or some scissors instead" just a thought. Anyway hope you get this taken care of bud.

Posts: 45 | Location: DC | Registered: 06 June 2008Report This Post

Picture of DoubleDuece
posted Hide Post
There is no excuse for weed eating that late. If they need to be gainfully employed I am sure that there are common areas that can be cleaned and floors that need to be waxed.

"War is an act of force, and to the application of that force there is no limit. Each of the advisaries forces the hand of the other, and in a recipricol action results in which there can be no limit..."
Carl von Clausewitz, on war, 1833

Posts: 298 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 20 May 2004Report This Post

Picture of E5GenMech
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I think Extra Dooky is just a waste of soliders time and the NCO that has to watch them...I had to come in on a Sunday away from my family to watch this crap from 0900 -2300...boy was I pissed...I also liv 25 miles from post and with gas being crazy high i wasnt too happy... but anyway , ED is a waste of time, the new solider doesnt care thesedays, they will just go out and do it again or do somehting different,,,,but , all 60+ soldiers have told me rigth to my face, SGT is there anyway i can be in ur squad or you be my Supervisor...they now I am relaxes , enforce standards and correct you when need be, but i do it in a way that wont embarass or intimidate soliers....like the othet NCOs in my platoon...and yeah they dont like me cuz i have a different leadership style.They all feel comfortable talking to me... i have even been told I feel like a big brother too them . and that feels good as a junior NCO. most of the time when I supervise ED... i jsut let them chill, i tell them to get there list done and then i make them look busy but screw around. sorry for the rant... all in all ED is crap and need to be done away with

Posts: 243 | Location: Fort Carson, Co | Registered: 07 April 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
"so if a weedeater bothers you that much how do you expect to sleep like a rock in iraq?"

Because those who've spent 15 months over there putting up with all the Arab yodeling, mortars coming in or bombs exploding really dont want to put up with similar noises when they are back home in the United States.

Here's an idea: Since Iraq is now the be all and end all of duty in the Army...lets just start basic training over there and AIT as well. That way, all the soldiers will be acclimitized to the heat and noises.

posted Hide Post
i never meant to imply that iraq is the end all and be all of duty in the army, but damn near everyone is going or has gone so it is a factor. i was just asking a question, a slightly sarcastic one at that.

i was serious about the headphones though. they drown out everything.

and acclimitized is not a word, it's acclimated... Big Grin

Posts: 289 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 15 February 2008Report This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiskeywife:
so if a weedeater bothers you that much how do you expect to sleep like a rock in iraq? i mean i'm just curious. if it really bothers you that bad just order some bose headphones or something...
Why should someone have to listen to a weedeater at nearly midnight? That's why I hate the military because people like you don't seem to give a crap. It's nonsense like this that makes the Army unbearable at times and the reason I've never lived in the barracks.

If my inconsiderate neighbors upstairs let their kid run around with cinder blocks tied to his feet at 1145pm you damn well better believe I'm knocking on their door and telling them to control their little brat. Unfortunately I had to buy the condo on the lower floor but that doesn't mean I have to subject myself to other people's inconsiderations.

I've slept through a lot of things in Iraq and Afghanistan but I can tell you I'm getting paid a lot more to do so.

And with your silly headphone idea, why should I have to buy a set of headphones to drown out someone else's inconsideration? Furthermore I sleep on my side so some big headphones are not meant for people who sleep on their side. LASTLY, I don't want to listen to music when I sleep - I want to go to sleep. My bedroom is for sex and sleeping only; I don't have a TV in there, I don't read in there...I certainly don't want to listen to music while I'm trying to sleep in there.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2481 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35M3L00PF:
quote:
Originally posted by whiskeywife:
Why should someone have to listen to a weedeater at nearly midnight? That's why I hate the military because people like you don't seem to give a crap. It's nonsense like this that makes the Army unbearable at times and the reason I've never lived in the barracks.

If my inconsiderate neighbors upstairs let their kid run around with cinder blocks tied to his feet at 1145pm you damn well better believe I'm knocking on their door and telling them to control their little brat. Unfortunately I had to buy the condo on the lower floor but that doesn't mean I have to subject myself to other people's inconsiderations.

I've slept through a lot of things in Iraq and Afghanistan but I can tell you I'm getting paid a lot more to do so.

And with your silly headphone idea, why should I have to buy a set of headphones to drown out someone else's inconsideration? Furthermore I sleep on my side so some big headphones are not meant for people who sleep on their side. LASTLY, I don't want to listen to music when I sleep - I want to go to sleep. My bedroom is for sex and sleeping only; I don't have a TV in there, I don't read in there...I certainly don't want to listen to music while I'm trying to sleep in there.

hi, how are you today? had a cup of coffee yet? if not, there is this thing called a chill pill, go ahead and pop it with your first cup, then read the post i made right above yours.

i was asking a simple question and being sarcastic. and then i was giving a small piece of advice because i don't have a solution to his problem. (other than the headphones)

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Your advice was "if it really bothers you that bad..." implying that it really shouldn't bother him that bad.

When you were called out on it, then you were more or less "just kidding."

Have you ever even deployed? I'm "just curious" since I swore that I read in another thread that you were about to deploy and had a kid and so you got out of the Army. Makes me think that your signature is a bit funny for someone that has never been deployed, as is your question about being able to sleep in Iraq.

And if you're going to point out someone else's grammatical mistakes like you did to Whyme, try using proper grammar and punctuation yourself.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35M3L00PF:
Your advice was "if it really bothers you that bad..." implying that it really shouldn't bother him that bad.

When you were called out on it, then you were more or less "just kidding."

Have you ever even deployed? I'm "just curious" since I swore that I read in another thread that you were about to deploy and had a kid and so you got out of the Army. Makes me think that your signature is a bit funny for someone that has never been deployed, as is your question about being able to sleep in Iraq.

And if you're going to point out someone else's grammatical mistakes like you did to Whyme, try using proper grammar and punctuation yourself.

Ok, here you go...

1. Some people can sleep through a weed eater, therefore it doesn't "bother them that bad." That was the implication.

2. I am a sarcastic person, and if you truly read any of my other posts (and my signature line which I will get to in a minute) then you would know that and know I don't need to be "called out" to clarify that. It's just the way I am.

3. I have NOT been deployed. I actually have 2 children, was enlisted for 5 1/2 years, mobilized to Fort Stewart for about 3 months before demobilizing. Came home, got married, got pregnant, got out after my second child because my husband was deployed and I was to be deployed. We had a family care plan but it fell through due to my father getting cancer so I was chaptered out.

4. My signature line is advice for spouses. I mentioned that in a previous thread as well. As for the comment about sleeping in Iraq, I do have a husband and quite a few friends who have deployed multiple times and so I hear a lot about what it's like and know it's not the quietest of places.

5. I wasn't pointing out a grammatical error, I was letting him know it's not a word. I would rather have someone tell me online that I just used a word that is non-existent than be at my unit or in front of my commander, or whoever and get told there is no such thing, hence the smiley face at the end of the sentence.

I think that covers just about everything right?

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
1. Some people can sleep through a weed eater, therefore it doesn't "bother them that bad." That was the implication.

Well it obviously bothers HIM...so rather than basically saying he should be able to suck it up, why not just butt out?

2. I am a sarcastic person, and if you truly read any of my other posts (and my signature line which I will get to in a minute) then you would know that and know I don't need to be "called out" to clarify that. It's just the way I am.

So what's your point? That you insert sarcastic comments instead of actually contributing? I'm not sure I'm following here.

3. I have NOT been deployed.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I didn't need all the other extraneous crap afterwards. I don't have a single iota of a problem with people who haven't deployed but I do have a problem with people posting "sarcastic" questions relating to how people would do in a combat zone when they have never been there themselves.

4. My signature line is advice for spouses. I mentioned that in a previous thread as well. As for the comment about sleeping in Iraq, I do have a husband and quite a few friends who have deployed multiple times and so I hear a lot about what it's like and know it's not the quietest of places.

Well when someone sees your posts they aren't likely to research every post and thread you have ever created before reading your signature. So you might want to clarify your signature so it doesn't sound so condescending coming from someone that has never deployed.

posted Hide Post
I'm done with this thread.