ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  General NCO Discussion    Proper PT Stretching Commands
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper PT Stretching Commands
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a former Active Duty Sergeant and went through WLC and all that and I could have sworn that when giving stretching commands, it goes as follows:

The Overhead Arm-pull
Start Position, Move
Ready, Stretch

I've recently ventured over to the dark side and am in ROTC right now as a senior. It's trivial I know, but it's something that always bothered me. Thanks in advance for any information!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SGT101,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stretching is INFORMAL, when stretching. You do not give the command starting position, Move.

the correct way to give PT would be:

"The chest stretch" Ready, Stretch....1000

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks for the reply.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<2468>
posted
SSG E is exactly right, but remember that Calisthenics are still Formal ie "The Flutter Kick"...performers repeat..., Start Position..pause..Move, In Cadence..performers repeat...Excercise, 1,2,3,1 and so on.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT101:
...it goes as follows:

The Overhead Arm-pull
Start Position, Move
Ready, Stretch

I have heard it this way and I have also heard it done like this:

The Overhead Arm-pull
(Soldiers: The Overhead Arm-pull)
Follow Me
(Soldiers: Lead the Way!)
Stretch. one-thousand....

Stretching is informal and should be based around whatever physical training you are planning to conduct (Arms and upper body for muscle failure, legs for running and cardio, etc.), and remember that stretching prior to PT is important, but stretching after is 10x more important, and should be held for longer amounts of time.

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort Bragg | Registered: 11 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
good post, even today I still have to correct young NCO's pass this on!

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Milpopo552
posted Hide Post
wow, you all need to read 21-20

Posts: 116 | Location: Fort Bliss, TX | Registered: 08 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<2468>
posted
Ft. Jackson and Germany are infamous for that Follow me lead the way crap...until NCOES conduct PT that way it needs to go. They say it's more motivating, I personnally can't stand it. So who exactly needs to read 21-20 Milpopo?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by double d:
Ft. Jackson and Germany are infamous for that Follow me lead the way crap...until NCOES conduct PT that way it needs to go. They say it's more motivating, I personnally can't stand it. So who exactly needs to read 21-20 Milpopo?

Everyone double d, gosh didnt you read his perfect post.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of dross1782
posted Hide Post
This is a huge argument that’s gone on in my unit for the last year or so. There is no where in the 21-20 that dictates how commands should be said for stretching. That said anyone that’s been to WLC (at least here) knows that they teach "follow me", If that’s was the NCOA teaches then that’s how we should be preparing our troops.

Posts: 21 | Location: Ft. Bragg | Registered: 19 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As dross1782 said, FM 21-20 doesn't dictate the commands to conduct rotations or stretches (unless we both missed it). That being said, I wouldn't say there is a right or wrong answer to this. In WLC and BNCOC we never heard the "follow me" tagline.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 26 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG E:
Stretching is INFORMAL, when stretching. You do not give the command starting position, Move.

the correct way to give PT would be:

"The chest stretch" Ready, Stretch....1000

Well SSG E you were good in the bigining; Yes it is informal but it goes like this: "Chest stretch" "follow me" "Stretch" "one thousand"

Rotation exercises and stretching exercises are informal and when you get into the main body is formal; "Knee Bender" "Starting Position MOVE" "In cadence" "Exercise"

Lead, Follow or get the hell out of the way, 'cause I will run you over!

Posts: 73 | Location: Any DZ | Registered: 22 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How do you throw in FOLLOW ME? and then indicate I am wrong?. By adding FOLLOW ME you are no longer informal, adding the Follow me makes it formal....Just curious where you referenced the Follow me?