Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cpl promo
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone know the requirements for getting lateral to CPL?????? checked 600-8-19 but that didnt help any.

Posts: 11 | Location: south korea | Registered: 21 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:550eadfcec="sergeant_commo"]does anyone know the requirements for getting lateral to CPL?????? checked 600-8-19 but that didnt help any.[/quote:550eadfcec]
Promotion to CPL is mostly done internally by the unit. There technically is no requirement for promotion to CPL other than that soldier must be an E-4. Usually units will laterally promote a SPC because that soldier is put in a leadership position i.e. team leader or squad leader. In my old battalion the requirement was that the soldier had to be in a leadership position and already went to the board and/or PLDC. To put a soldier in for lateral promotion, the plt. sgt. puts the recommendation into the first sergeant and the first sergeant says yay or nay. From there it goes up to the Bn CSM. If the CSM blesses off on it, I believe he will type up orders for that soldier to be laterally promoted. The only other lateral promotion to CPL is done by DA for the CPL recruiting program. The requirement for that is that the soldier wants to go into the recruiting program and is [u:550eadfcec]not[/u:550eadfcec] promotable. Soldier's who are promotable and have not made E-5 are not eligible for either recruiting program. Hope this helps.[/u]

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft. Campbell, KY | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's in AR 614-200 Enlisted Assignments and Utilization Management

[quote:c6ad89ee8e][b:c6ad89ee8e]3–14. Lateral appointments[/b:c6ad89ee8e]
a. For lateral appointments to 1SG see paragraph 8–24.
b. Lateral appointments are not required for soldiers in the grade of SFC moving to or from platoon sergeant positions.
[b:c6ad89ee8e]c. Commanders (05 and above) may authorize lateral appointment of SPC to CPL without local selection board action provided the soldier concerned is assigned to an authorized (documented) NCO position in their CPMOS.[/b:c6ad89ee8e]
(1) Lateral appointments will be announced by either DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action) or informal memorandum. DA Form 4187 or informal memorandum will be the only announcement of the lateral appointment.
[b:c6ad89ee8e](2) Soldiers appointed to CPL will retain the grade when reassigned from the NCO position, including permanent change–of–station moves. However, the unit commander may laterally appoint CPL to SPC without soldier’s consent or board action—[/b:c6ad89ee8e]
(a) For disciplinary action taken under Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) (50 USC 22) that adversely affects the ability to perform duties as a NCO.
(b) For demonstrated substandard performance of technical or supervisory duties.
(c) Upon direction of HRC.[/quote:c6ad89ee8e]

Posts: 79 | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was a corporal from the time I was a E4(P) until I was promoted to E5. About 2 months. And it was only because I was a squad leader.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC (Iraq) | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You don't have to be in a leadership position to get Corporal. You SHOULD, but don't have to be. I wasn't, and they pinned me because my points were so high and took me almost a year to make E-5.

Posts: 57 | Location: All American 80-deuce (ft bragg) | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:482637c089="sgtmiles"]You don't have to be in a leadership position to get Corporal. You SHOULD, but don't have to be. I wasn't, and they pinned me because my points were so high and took me almost a year to make E-5.[/quote:482637c089]

I agree with you. There's two Corporals in this unit out here and they're not even squad leaders. The unit actually thought they wouldn't get any and promoted two to CPLs...less than a month later they ended up getting a Sergeant and a Staff Sergeant. LOL I thought it was good the unit let them keep their CPL stripes though.

Posts: 2533 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am experiencing a similar situation at work. I am the section SGT of the medics. One of our PFCs is the BN CSM's driver. The CSM wants to promote him to CPL. The PFC is a medic but hasn't done anything related to his MOS since he's been at the unit. He doesn't like the military or his MOS. He joined for the GI Bill. He also gets out in about 3 months. A SFC in our S-1 shop stated that he had to be holding a E-5 slot in order to be promoted to CPL. He has not attended the board or gone to WLC. He can run fast, which the CSM loves. He is mainly the CSM's secretary/personal aide. I hardly see him unless he is coming into or leaving the barracks, which is where the offices are. I can't use him as a medic for any taskings or anything else, so therefore I'm unsure of his job performance.

One of my SPCs is going to the board next month. He arrived at the unit about 3 months ago and just completed his 6 college re-enlistment option. I know him personally and he is well-trained as a medic. We were deployed and he is very responsible. I know that I can give him a mission and it will be completed, no questions asked.

I was hoping that someone could help me find more info on the reg for promotion to CPL. I have discussed how unfair the treatment between the 2 medics will seem with my 1SG. He informed me that CSM will probably get what he wants and that it all boils down to politics at this point. I agree with what has been said so far on this topic here, how CPLs should hold some kind of leadership position prior to promotion and/or at least have attended WLC.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ft. Campbell, KY | Registered: 29 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hurry up Airborne
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hicks. I was made a CPL. when I became promotable until I got my E-5. I was in a leadership position though....

Posts: 35 | Location: Ft. Campbell | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a SPC in a Team Ldr position with no E-5 to fill the position. I want to do the 4187 to move him to CPL but need the correct verbage.

Does anyone have or can tell me where to find and example please?

The 600-8-19 did not have it and I hope to do it before we MOB.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: In the Army somewhere | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
I know its a 4187.

Reason is LATERAL APPOINTMENT TO CPL

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Justification:

This prolly helps none, the S1 shop should have an example from the last one they processed, and white out the SSN.

Posts: 563 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It seems that there are a few confused ppl here in regards to Lateral Appointments to CPL. The regulation governing lateral appointments is AR614-200 par 3-14. A Soldier MUST fill an E-5 slot in his/her MOS to meet the minimum requirement for a lateral appointment to CPL. Meaning u just cant throw a Soldier into any E-5 slot on your MTOE. Hope this helps out guys.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another thing is lateral appointments to CPL is NOT approved internally at the unit. If this happens, it should be addressed to your local S-1 or if else fails IG. This action is processed thru your BNS-1. It actually use to go all the way up to Strength Management G-1 but has recently been delegated down to BDE/BN level. Of course depending on where u r at. A CSM does not have approval authority for this action. He can only recommend but note that his recommendation does hold alot of water.

posted Hide Post
If u do want to recommend a Soldier the remarks section on the Da4187 will state:

1. Request Lateral Appointment to Corporal.

2. Date of Rank: (his/her DOR to SPC)

3. Effective date: (date u want him/her to be cpl)

4. Justification: Paragraph & line number (found on your Unit Manning Report)

Ensure this is signed by your Company Commander.

posted Hide Post
maybe this will help this is what i found in AR 600-8-19, 7-11 c.

c. An SPC will be appointed to CPL when the Soldier is assigned and works in a SGT position. The position must
be the Soldier’s PMOS or CPMOS. This includes SPC who cannot otherwise be promoted when they do not meet the
time in service requirement, or were not considered for promotion.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post