ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  OCONUS Assignments    BAH For Spouse while in Korea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BAH For Spouse while in Korea
 Login/Join

posted
I am a SGT(P) reclassing to 35F and leave for AIT July 2014. Just looked at ASK and I'm going to be going to Korea apparently. I am married, and this will be unaccompanied. We are currently stationed at Fort Hood and she works all the way down in Austin and makes a 1.5 hour drive each way every day. My question is, since I will be unaccompanied to Korea can she move down to Austin so she is closer to her work and get BAH for down there? I'm not worried or wanting the Army to pay for moving her or anything, I will do that. Logistically between the dogs, taking care of the house and the drive, there is no way she could keep living up here with me gone. Obviously it costs more to live down there and the BAH for that zip code is more because of it. What is the process I would have to go through to get that squared away? Just provide a lease for down there or something? And can she move while I am in AIT and switch the BAH or does she have to wait till I report to Korea first? Anyone know the reg? Also, I will pin SSG as soon as the new MOS is on my ERB. Will that change my duty assignment since I will go from a 20 to a 30? This is my first time overseas (other than deployments). Thanks for help

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Start working on this now. Go talk to MPD or whoever it is that will publish your PCS orders. Make sure you get it on your orders that your dependent will move to x address (in Austin). You may have to provide a lease or something to that effect to prove that she will be living there. The Army will pay for the move and you will get BAH for that location. Just make sure you get it in your orders.

Posts: 392 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jae_3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGTF86:
I am a SGT(P) reclassing to 35F and leave for AIT July 2014. Just looked at ASK and I'm going to be going to Korea apparently. I am married, and this will be unaccompanied. We are currently stationed at Fort Hood and she works all the way down in Austin and makes a 1.5 hour drive each way every day. My question is, since I will be unaccompanied to Korea can she move down to Austin so she is closer to her work and get BAH for down there? I'm not worried or wanting the Army to pay for moving her or anything, I will do that. Logistically between the dogs, taking care of the house and the drive, there is no way she could keep living up here with me gone. Obviously it costs more to live down there and the BAH for that zip code is more because of it. What is the process I would have to go through to get that squared away? Just provide a lease for down there or something? And can she move while I am in AIT and switch the BAH or does she have to wait till I report to Korea first? Anyone know the reg? Also, I will pin SSG as soon as the new MOS is on my ERB. Will that change my duty assignment since I will go from a 20 to a 30? This is my first time overseas (other than deployments). Thanks for help

Like SGT Smitty said it has to be in your PCS orders that you elected to leave family at current location in Texas. I am currently in Alaska and get dual BAH, partial for Alaska and full for my family's CONUS location. Check with finance.

Posts: 27 | Registered: 01 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. I just had surgery yesterday so as soon as I get off of con leave I will go in and start squaring all this away. Man I am jealous of your Alaska assignment. That was on the top of my wish list. The sad part is as soon as I grad ait I will be in my reup window and could do Choice of station. I guess I can do it in Korea for choice of where I come back to? Good times

Posts: 7 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post