ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  OCONUS Assignments    Army regulation that covers sleep?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army regulation that covers sleep?
 Login/Join

Picture of SSG. T
posted
Anyone know what AR covers how much sleep Soldiers are entitled to? Perhaps entitled isn't the correct word, in any fashion I've always heard Soldiers are only entitled to three hours of unintterupted sleep, or maybe it's four hours, more so in respect to a BCT or IET environment. I've gooled long and hard and have found nothing.

Posts: 565 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of white26golf
posted Hide Post
It is no less than 4 hours a day.....although there is nothing that says it has to be a continuous 4 hours.

Posts: 83 | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jgarner
posted Hide Post
i've read in a regulation somewhere that optimal sleep time is 7 hours and commanders are supposed to push for that, but at a minimum 4 hours of continuous sleep is the standard...i'm looking for the reg right now, i just cant remember what it was under...

I am a soldier, I fight where I'm told, and win where I fight.

Posts: 222 | Location: FORT LEAVENWORTH, KS | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jgarner
posted Hide Post
check in AR TRADOC REG 350-6...DS Bible

I am a soldier, I fight where I'm told, and win where I fight.

Posts: 222 | Location: FORT LEAVENWORTH, KS | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of airgigeo
posted Hide Post
Sleep/Rest plan is covered FM 6-22.5, however, that's for combat operations. TRADOC is a different beast. Ironically, we just covered this today in BNCOC.

Posts: 70 | Location: NTC | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
So evidently none of us know for sure. TRADOC is another beast...a beast that should be put down might I add, lol. I found myself thinking about this as I dragged myself out of bed this morning and thought to myself "what does the Army have against sleep?". Sleep is one of the most precious human experiences but yet the Army doesn't think so, lol. I guess they were right, you sleep when you die. Anyway if anyone finds the Reg let me know, I've yet to find it or anyone that knows where to look.

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
From a previous topic I posted in

FM 22-51 Appendix A-9:

Shifts which allow each individual 6 to 8 hours of continuous sleep when feasible are preferred. Provide soldiers with a minimum of 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep in a 24 hour period (6-8 hours optimum). This greatly extends soldiers and crew endurance limits.

It is also stated in FM 6-22.5 Chapter 4:

Continuous operations are military operations with many pulses
of action every day and night, continuing for several days to weeks,
which require careful planning and resource allocation to give
everyone a minimum of 4 hours sleep in 24. (FM 22-51)

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 726 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thanks!

posted Hide Post
Was just wondering if there is a AR on the ammount of sleep required to drive a GOV. PSG is making us do PT at 0630 when we get off work at midnight.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of fred299
posted Hide Post
TRADOC Regulation 350-6

(1) In garrison, IET Soldiers must have the opportunity for 7 hours of continuous sleep per night, unless the Soldier is scheduled for duty (for example, access control guard, or CQ runner). During field training, the length of the training day and time for sleep will vary based on tactical and other training requirements, as established in the appropriate POI. Commanders will ensure that the tactical framework of field training allows sufficient time for rest.

(2) In garrison, Soldiers are given at least 1 hour of preparation time each day to take care of personal needs.

Posts: 31 | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HazlEyz317
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard of a Soldier getting an article 15 for not allowing Soldiers to get 7 hours of sleep?

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Sam Houston | Registered: 24 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No, but it's going to depend a lot on the CoC. If the Commander stresses it and an NCO refuses to follow the reg then I could see it happening.

Late response to Shriekk: It should be 8 hours. If you're getting off at midnight and driving again at 0630 that's dangerous. It may still happen, but it'll usually require written approval by your CO or higher.

So yeah, it's not a set in stone rule that you can't drive or anything without 8 hours of sleep. But it's unsafe and usually requires the chain of command to sign off on it and develop controls to mitigate the risk(say by having a TC with you that has had more sleep or something). But if I were to get into an accident because I was tired, that's something I'd definitely bring up.

Posts: 9 | Location: Korea | Registered: 09 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Composite Risk Management states that a Soldier should get 8 hours continuous sleep before driving. TRIPS will say the same thing...

It's one of those "Mission First, Safety Always" things

Military Signature
Create your Profile at MyArmedForces.com

There is no task that is impossible, as long as you don't care who gets the credit.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post