ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  OCONUS Assignments    Korea retirement terminal leave
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korea retirement terminal leave
 Login/Join

posted
Here's my situation E-8 due to PCS to Korea when I arrive I will have 19 years or service. I am planning on retiring need more control over
My life. I will have 60 day's of leave plus 30 days use lose and so I am told 30 days permissive TDY are given OCONUS. Will I Be allowed to start terminal leave at the 8 month mark? Not really concerned with tour credit. Or will I have to complete the 12 month assignment?
Bonus question can I choose to pcs to my transition location of choice and retire then? Branch is not working with me at all and it really sucks to have to retire in Korea and my family not see me retire in a ceremony.

BTW 3rd tour to Korea, 1 long tour 33 months in combat. So no not trying to just get out of anything.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of senior NCOs in my unit that will be retiring in Korea this year.

But they are both over 25 years of AFS and been in Korea now for over 24 months and they will be taking permissive TDY OCONUS.

Retirement services in Korea will be better able to educate you with your options.

I suggest once your retirement is approved, you can work with branch on your options. In my case, I will be PCSing here soon and I am able to PCS before my DEROS date due to 30-days early report and backing it up more with my leave dates. You can do the same with retirement. I had a buddy leave here before his year was up to attend school. I cannot recall if he had to submit a curtailment.

The issue is that you are not supposed to go beyond your DEROS; even though I knew a couple of soldiers that left after their DEROS date due to issues with their orders and assignment.

My next assignment is my last.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Transitions and your local S1 of course will have the final word but you are entitled to what you have earned...in my humble opinion (which means nothing).

AR 600-8-10 para 5-35 (b) and (h) regard your situation. The examples given earlier in the AR only show for 60 days of accrued leave but surely they will not make you sell the additional?

I am ETSing and was looking this stuff up tonight out here on Yongsan...

Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Oh! And going to your desired location for a retirement ceremony is covered in that regulation as well....or was it AR 635-8?

Good luck!!

Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post