ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Signal    How to join Cyber Command
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to join Cyber Command
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get over to Ft Meade and become a part of cyber command. Im a 25B, and the stuff they are doing is what i want to do when i get out, so why not try to do it while im in?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Have the clearance and reenlist for an assignment there.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
I've seen recruitment from other bases, too, but I don't remember where/how. Maybe check with a career counselor??

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would think you need a TS to get assigned there, but my S2 swears up and down that i cant apply for one unless mission requires it. Seems like a potential catch 22 to me.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Posts: 54 | Registered: 18 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djhead:
I would think you need a TS to get assigned there, but my S2 swears up and down that i cant apply for one unless mission requires it. Seems like a potential catch 22 to me.

It is.
What you do is get the assignment then apply for the clearance then get there and wait forever for it to be finished.

I don't know about Cyber Cmd, but NSA does NOT allow you to work on an interim clearance. I waited pretty close to 2yrs for my clearance- 2 weeks later I got orders to Kuwait. Mad

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Is there an MOS dedicated for this, or do I just tell my career counselor i want to join the cyber command.

25P

Posts: 1 | Location: Ft Belvoir | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

There isn't a catch, you have to be MTOE slotted in a position requiring a TS clearance. Units are only allocated so many TS slots.

Dave

Posts: 258 | Location: Japan | Registered: 04 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by realistik:
quote:

There isn't a catch, you have to be MTOE slotted in a position requiring a TS clearance. Units are only allocated so many TS slots.

There IS a catch- they don't want to assign Soldiers to units that need TS if they don't already have a TS. But you can't get a TS unless you need it..

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
Reenlist for 35N, 35S, or 35T and attend the Joint Cyber Analysis Course.

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." - Eisenhower

Posts: 480 | Location: Around the world.... | Registered: 15 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What I did was tell my Career Counselor I wanted to reclass into a MI position. 35G in particular, and he contacted my S2 that started the process. This was before I ever re-enlisted LET ME MAKE THAT 100% clear. I ended up deciding on a medical MOS anyways. As a model citizen (0 sarcasm) it still took about a month worth of free time and contacting people (and sometimes waiting for them to get back to me) to ensure my SF 86 was correct and there wouldn't be hiccups later on. This will save you light years later as the actual investigation took a total of 4 months. I haven't met anyone who received theirs faster.

Posts: 2605 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FWA94F
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when Corvette1140 got their clearance, but I just had my clearance approved in September after only 3 months of waiting. Your mileage may vary as I had a clean SF-86 and a very basic residence history. It was overall very painless.

There are a lot of ways to get a TS clearance, just sometimes hard to get out of the assignment that generated you requiring a TS clearance. The government doesn't like spending the time and money on a clearance investigation only for you to say no thanks to the assignment.

Posts: 87 | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by astew80:
Is there an MOS dedicated for this, or do I just tell my career counselor i want to join the cyber command.

It's mostly 25B but you might get in.

PM me and I can get you some contact info tomorrow.

Picture of FWA94F
posted Hide Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but I found this while browsing the IKN site. https://ikn.army.mil/Portal/files/pages/anwb.html

You'll need your AKO login details to see it. It has a contact email for the ANWB recruiting team. Hopefully this helps anyone that should come across this thread in the future.

Posts: 87 | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You NEED a TS/SCI, with SSBI(Single scope background investigation) and ANWB is not a part of cyber command, you do not need to have an intel MOS to get into cybercom. and you cannot reenlist for a unit, only a duty station.

"Every man dies, not every man truely lives."

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Let me make this very clear - the Army Network Warfare Battalion (ANWB) is NOT US Cyber Command. That battalion is part of 704th MI BDE. Cyber Command falls under STRATCOM, stood up in May and become allegedly fully operational in October.

The majority of Army MOSs are 35F or possibly some signal analysts but I have only met other 35Fs and there are not that many Army folks here. I have not met any Army people who aren't intel but then again, there are a lot of officers. ANWB is mostly 25 series though or signal analysts and not that many 35F.

Also you can't reenlist for Cybercom. You can reenlist for Ft Meade (this is what I did) and then you may or may not get slotted there.

PM me if anyone wants more info on this because I strongly recommend 35Fs to not come to Cyber Command. You will not do your MOS and will be a waste of three years.

Now if you don't have a TS clearance, then you don't have the right MOS. Yes it does take time to find the information for an SSBI but it only depends on how you answer the questions on how long your investigation takes. I've seen SSBIs get processed, closed and a final TS granted in 2 months and up to a year. It just depends on the investigator and your history. If you have financial trouble and aren't trying to pay it off, don't bother getting a clearance. That and drug history will get you a clearance denied really fast.

Posts: 68 | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post