ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Signal    How does a Soldier Become an Instructor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does a Soldier Become an Instructor?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering how can a soldier become an instructor. Are instructors DA selected? Can soldiers volunteer to teach on the platform? If anyone here has any reliable information, I will appreciate it. I want to teach course in the 74B10 course at Fort Gordon.

Posts: 196 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I tried my ass off to get to the schoolhouse when I got stationed at Gordon. However, you have to be at least an E-5 to become an instructor. The Signal politics at Gordon are crazy also. You gotta know a guy to get in. But once you are in, and if you are planning to go career, your name will be known at signal towers and prolly wont have a hard time getting promoted in the senior NCO ranks. All the 74 series senior NCO's have deep ties here. They credit their quick rise to knowing people. Seems kinda messed up to me, but what can you do?

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The first step would be to become Intsructor qualified and get the H identifier. Contact your schools NCO and find out if any Instructor Trainer Courses are offered in your area. Its a 2 week course that officially qualifies you to teach small groups. Once you have done that contact the place you would like to teach at, see if there are any openings and contact DA to see if they can do anything for you.

Hope this helps

Posts: 54 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
All,

My Branch Manager just contacted me with the details. Here's the skinny:

1. SSG or SFC
2. NCOES (BNCOC or ANCOC)
3. No Flags and good NCOER's
4. Eligilble for reassignment to TRADOC, Fort Gordon, for 3 years.

Also, he said that they hardly move soldiers CONUS to CONUS. He said that it would be easier to slide into an instructor slot coming from and overseas tour, such as Korea.

I think I made a big mistake by contacting branch to ask a simple question. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up in Korea, soon! Arrrgghh!

Posts: 196 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:b2e5cef7a8="TenaciousP"]...The Signal politics at Gordon are crazy also. You gotta know a guy to get in. But once you are in, and if you are planning to go career, your name will be known at signal towers and prolly wont have a hard time getting promoted in the senior NCO ranks. All the 74 series senior NCO's have deep ties here. They credit their quick rise to knowing people. Seems kinda messed up to me, but what can you do?[/quote:b2e5cef7a8]

You know something? I planned on doing 20 years. One of the reasons I joined the Army was to get away from politics. Alas, to my surprise, there is more politics here than on the outside. It's sickening. I hate to see people rise because they know somebody instead of knowing their job.

posted Hide Post
MSG Wiatt should be able to work with you. If you are really against Korea, just tell him. He is a good guy.

Posts: 304 | Location: Camp Slayer, Iraq | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
had quite a few instructors while at FTG who were E5. Not sure about the whole requirement to be an E6, but looks like that's what they told ya.

Posts: 19 | Location: NOT CONUS | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Knowing someone at Gordon helps....I can't believe someone finally mentioned the "click" issue there....i'll stop now.

Wiatt made MSG? Well deserved...great NCO.

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby A
posted Hide Post
lol, i had heard about the politics at gordon, but i had no idea they were that bad, you mean to tell me that if i wanna go far in the signal world, i need to try and get stationed a gordon?

Posts: 99 | Location: Ft. Sill, OK | Registered: 20 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ssg_rivera
posted Hide Post
I dunno about that cuz I saw a lot of Instructors SSG's that were senior to me that have been hididng at the School House and that is why the don't get promoted! But there is some truth in that though...

82ND ABN DIV LRSD

Posts: 189 | Location: Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Speaking as someone who works at the school house, you have to realize first that most of our instructors are civilians now. Each day there are fewer and fewer Army instructors. Take for instance here at BNCOC. For our 25F course, our military SGLs teach exactly a 4 hour block of instruction (on the Pluger), and that is it. Everything else is taught by General Dynamics. The same is true with most other courses, especially in the signal commmunity. What they said about knowing someone already in is very true though. I was recruited for my current position by the Commadant of the accademy because he has personally known me for about 5 years. If you have more questions, drop me an email.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 592 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post