ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Signal    1st Assignment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Assignment
 Login/Join

Picture of PFC_CHRIS
posted
I graduate AIT Jan 26th and i report to Fort Hood on March 3rd. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers, or any experience as signal at Fort Hood. I also had a little trouble understanding my MOS and I was wondering what I will be doing once i get to my regular unit.

Posts: 4 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
You have more than 30days of leave saved up?

March3 is the "last possible day to report" date, I'm sure you'll actually travel there sooner, if you graduate Jan26.

More than anything, keep your military bearing, listen to instructions, ask questions, be friendly. Actually if you've been at Gordon more than 3 weeks you need to practice your military bearing asap cuz I'm sure you lost some there. Wink

You might or might not get a job you like when you arrive. EVERYTHING will be different than you expect. Don't fall in with the bad crowd when you get there. You'll know who I mean- the ones who grumble about the unit, their supervisor, the post, the Army. They've been a SPC FOREVER and are fun to hang out with but will never be promoted because they're always getting into trouble.

Trust your supervisor and fellow Soldiers- they were all the 'new guy' back in the day. If they don't help you enough ask others in the unit. You will see your 1SG and Commander more, you can go to them if you've asked everyone else for assistance. (But of course your supervisor and PLT SGT will be upset if you don't let them help you first.)

DO PT. You WILL have a PT test shortly after arriving.

More than anything- have fun! Enjoy the change and relax. The Army won't let you fail.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PFC_CHRIS
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot, and your right about the military bearing.. But I also had a problem on my run time for the PT test, Do you think the unit PT will help with that, or do you see alot of "Free Time" PT in my future.

Posts: 4 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It always helps to show up in a pair of ironed ACU's and clean boots. The 1st impression is a lasting one, for your sake run an iron over your uniform even though you prolly have been told that you aren't supposed to iron it. Guess what you can, nothing worse than showing up to a unit like you were in a fight with the wrinkle monster.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
It always helps to show up in a pair of ironed ACU's and clean boots. The 1st impression is a lasting one, for your sake run an iron over your uniform even though you prolly have been told that you aren't supposed to iron it. Guess what you can, nothing worse than showing up to a unit like you were in a fight with the wrinkle monster.

Disagree- ironing ACUs is really easy to ruin the velcro and a PFC doesn't have a lot of cash to buy replacements.

BUT you should throw the ACUs into the dryer with a wet washcloth for a few minutes. Takes most of the wrinkles out. Definitely clean the boots and beret.

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PFC_CHRIS:
Thanks alot, and your right about the military bearing.. But I also had a problem on my run time for the PT test, Do you think the unit PT will help with that, or do you see alot of "Free Time" PT in my future.

You only get out of PT what you put into it.
I knocked a minute off my runtime in about 4months- while I was an AIT NCO at Gordon. I didn't do any extra PT, just 0530 with the Soldiers- but I pushed myself to the max every morning. Got down to about a 13:40 2mile, and I was 33yrs old.

In some units if you don't get 70pts in each event you might be on "special population" (your free time) PT. So push yourself next month along with every time you're ever at PT at the new unit.

Picture of PFC_CHRIS
posted Hide Post
Thanks got all the help.. Haven't had a high ranked person help me before!! LoL, is there another way to contact you for future references, or is this the best way

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
PM me and I'll send my AKO address. I'm here almost every day though LOL..

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:

In some units if you don't get 70pts in each event you might be on "special population" (your free time) PT. So push yourself next month along with every time you're ever at PT at the new unit.

In my unit you can do special pop ONLY on the work hours!!! I had 2 soldiers in special pops and i couldn't had them do PT with me after hours or on weekends. I guess it depindes on the unit/policy letters.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrisTama:
In my unit you can do special pop ONLY on the work hours!!!

That's dumb. I know quite a few Soldiers that would ditch work to go do PT..

Point is to make it UNdesirable...

Picture of 25U_commo
posted Hide Post
pfc chris, feel free to email me as well, im in kuwait doing a whole lot of skillport classes so i have plenty time to help you out, also if you chec out the site my sig links to they have a mentorship program where you can get assigned to a senior signal nco who you can talk to about signal stuff and proffessional development, i know it has been helping me alot lately.

ps no need to email autobahn since he/she/it/they have a telepathic connection to the boards :P (please dont hit me ab Wink )

Posts: 105 | Registered: 09 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
PM me and I'll send my AKO address. I'm here almost every day though LOL..

You and me both! Lol.

PFC Chris, hit me up if you want as well. I'm a SPC and have been in for four years doing various commo jobs along with random stuff like armorer, NBC, etc. Amongst Autobahn, 25U, and myself you have a plethora of information and knowledge in your hands.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of lomo2surf
posted Hide Post
haha reading this it feels like I am in the same boat even though I am SGT and been in 5 years - its going to be odd going from MP Corps through AIT and into a new branch - so should be interesting

Posts: 52 | Location: FOB Salerno  | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:
Originally posted by CrisTama:
In my unit you can do special pop ONLY on the work hours!!!

That's dumb. I know quite a few Soldiers that would ditch work to go do PT..

Point is to make it UNdesirable...

That is true, but what can i do? Is the CO's policy, i already aske the PSG but he said that all i can do is suggest them to come and do PT, but i can't do anything if they do not show up. And ofcourse they didn't show, not on their free time.
I think that it should be undesirable, like taking of their free time,etc, so they will have a motivation to get out of special pops.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PFC_CHRIS
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you guys... I did well when I first got there, altough i got news hat I would deploy immediatly upon arrival.. Im currently in Iraq and working on getting ready for the NCO board.. I would like if all of you emailed me at codyc318@yahoo.com so i can talk to you and thank you personally!!