ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Special Forces, PSYOP    Success rate of SF recruits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Success rate of SF recruits
 Login/Join

posted
[b:fb5c08ce7e][color=brown:fb5c08ce7e]What is the success rate of SF recruits, And where will I be placed if I do not make it threw selection?[/color:fb5c08ce7e][/b:fb5c08ce7e]

Posts: 3 | Location: FL | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in the SF community for a few years now. Although i haven't seen it in writing anywhere i have heard that about 30-50% of the SF recruits make it all the way through. If you do happen to be one of the unfortunate you will be awarded the PMOS of 11x. All i can say to you is get in shape and know what you are getting yourself into. I've seen too many of the 'SF babies' make it through phase 1 and then 'chicken' out when they hit phase 2 or 3.

Posts: 61 | Location: sucking sand right now | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:d7431b820a="Another Site"]As of August 2003 (I got this from the SF publication, Special Warfare put out by the schoolhouse):

-18Xs have exceeded expectations
-18x soldiers are just beginning to complete SFQC, language training and SERE
-six had reported for duty in SF A team detachments with aprx 150 more scheduled to arrive in FY 2004
-To date, more than 1300 18X soldiers have begun OSUT, more than 800 have arrived at Ft Bragg and nearly 400 have completed SFAS and nearly 300 are attending SFQC
-eventually, SF detachments will average receiving a new 18x every 8-12 months

According to the schoolhouse (JFK Special Warfare Center and School), their 18X [u:d7431b820a]recruiting mission for FY 2004 is 1,500[/u:d7431b820a]. They expect [u:d7431b820a]fewer than 400 to ultimately complete the training[/u:d7431b820a]. That's fewer than 27%..the 80% I reported earlier must be a fluke then![/quote:d7431b820a]
There was some misunderstandings about what the 80% was in another posting... roughly 80% are passing SFAS.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 09 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Has there ever any info on the success rate of soldiers who apply to SF training who are Ranger qualified? My guess is they have a better chance.
Top out.

Posts: 122 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good question. Give me a few days and I'll have an answer.

posted Hide Post
If you are concerned about SFAS talk to an SF recruiter. There is a training handout they have just for SFAS preparation. If you can fulfill all of the criteria before selection you should be OK, taking for granted that you have a sense of humor and are a teamplayer. I just hope you like roadmarching.

p.s. Enjoy the sandbabies!

Posts: 54 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I believe this is what you're talking about.

[url]http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/sfas/prepare.html[/url]

At various other sites, the SFers that frequent them recommend this program. I've also heard that if you can "do week 5," you'll do fine in Selection.

P.S. What do you mean have a sense of humor? What is the relation? Do they like to bag on the cherries? :twisted:

posted Hide Post
[quote:2eb42146ac]If you are concerned about SFAS talk to an SF recruiter. There is a training handout they have just for SFAS preparation. If you can fulfill all of the criteria before selection you should be OK, taking for granted that you have a sense of humor and are a teamplayer. I just hope you like roadmarching.[/quote:2eb42146ac]
[quote:2eb42146ac]P.S. What do you mean have a sense of humor? What is the relation? Do they like to bag on the cherries? [/quote:2eb42146ac]

You have to be able to get along with your classmates. If you don't, you can and will be 'peered out'. Basically that means exactly what it says... you fellow classmates and vote you out, of course there has to be at least some basis for it or the cadre wont buy it. And i would have to say that about 95% of the tabs have an [i:2eb42146ac]interesting[/i:2eb42146ac] sense of humor.

Posts: 61 | Location: sucking sand right now | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that "peering out" is reserved for Ranger School.

NCO, should be able to agree with me on this one, there is no substitute for the abject ability to "check out of your own mind" when the pain hits.

I had a buddy go through selection back in 2000, although I'm sure the course has changed many times since then (all I get is rumors), I'm positive that things haven't changed in what they are looking for in a n SF trooper.

Essentially, from training Q-Course personnel in Call For Fire, I can tell you that their mental fortitude and their ability to adapt to ANY situation is second to none. There is nothing that they won't do to accomplish a mission and there is nothing that will stand in their way.

Point is, you need to be harder than woodpecker lips.

My ony suggestion is prior to going to SFAS, get yourself 60 pounds worth of stuff, learn how to pack it all into a ruck so that it won't tear your back up, and then carry that thing on your back wherever you go. Also, if you have the feet of a model for toe nail polish, you might want to think about toughening them up a bit. I was training with my buddy before he went to selection. We were rucking about 15 miles every day with about 75 pounds on our backs, and I'm telling you his feet looked like he had tried to cut his toenails with a lawn mower.

So buck up, as far as physical consitioning is concerned, you'll be smoked sausage by the end of the first week, it's all heart from there.

Again...the disclaimer is that all of this info is from 2000, so take it as it is.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice. Its all documented and stored in my pee-sized brain.

posted Hide Post
there is a form of "peering-out" at SFAS

Posts: 18 | Location: IN MOPP4 | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ssg L

did your buddy you were training with make it through selection?

...i've also heard that all the people that arrive at selection that train hard everyday don't make it, due to the fact that their bodies are all worn out

Posts: 88 | Location: ft. campbell | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:30813960af="NCO_OF_THE_YEAR"]And i would have to say that about 95% of the tabs have an [i:30813960af]interesting[/i:30813960af] sense of humor.[/quote:30813960af]

I was sitting in the chow hall maybe 2 1/2 years ago when I first got to Fort Bragg. An E-7 SOPC Instructor was sitting across from me and out of nowhere he looks up and pauses from eating.

I look up, an E-2 wondering what he was going to say, and he says with the straightest face I've ever seen....

"Have you ever noticed how a camo stick fits perfectly up your ass?"

Then just as calmly as he looked up, he looked down and continued eating.

Now that's an interstesting sense of humor. lol

Posts: 302 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC (Iraq) | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:543d98715b]...an interesting sense of humor.[/quote:543d98715b]
Along those lines, here's an old story, dating back to the '70s when who should form the Army's counter-terrorism unit was being fought over. Supposedly, the Chief of Staff of the Army asked his aide, who had served in both the Rangers and SF, which type of soldier would be better suited to form the nucleus of the new anti-terrorist unit. He responded with this:

If there was an aircraft on the ground which had been seized and held by hijackers, along with the passengers and crew, and you sent in soldiers from one of these two organizations, what would you expect to happen?

If the Rangers went in, they would jump in a Ranger Company of 120 men with standard issue equipment. They would insist on running to the incident site, and the the aircraft would not be able to leave, even if Rangers had to climb on the wings to stop it. The terrorists and most of the passengers would end up dead, and the airplane would be worthless to anyone except a scrap dealer.

If SF took the mission, one 12 man A team would deploy, and, due to the exotic nature of their equipment, it would cost about the same as the 120 man Ranger Company. The team would insist on separate travel orders, and each team member would get to the incident site by his own means. At least a third of the team would insist on jumping in. The aircraft would be prevented from taking off. The terrorists would all end up dead, and would have left signed confessions. All the passengers would be ruined psychologically for the rest of their lives, and all the women would be pregnant. The aircraft would be left unharmed. The team would have taken no casualties, but they would have used up or "lost" all the equipment issued to them.

Posts: 78 | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of EvilGLi
posted Hide Post
bump this..i just signed my contract today..i'm 29 and i am goign to be second gen green beret once i finish this.

i would like some input as to how the order of training goes, for example..bcy, 3 weeks airborne then???

evil out

carpe diem

Posts: 20 | Location: HI | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post