New
Find
Notify
Tools

38A or 37F
 Login/Join

Picture of silverknight26_QMC
posted
I'm currently working on my Associates Degree in Homeland Security/Law Enforcement. I'm REALLY interested in going back into the reserves, but I was wondering which MOS would have me out in the field actively the most. So I'm torn between Civil Affairs and PSYOP...what should I pick either one sounds interesting. Please help!

Posts: 19 | Location: florida | Registered: 27 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well considering that there are a lot more combat related deaths and injuries in Civil Affairs than PSYOP. I would be willing to bet a months salary that it has more field time and interacting with locals.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brianbaird
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't base your decision on who has more deaths, but as a 38B and having worked with PSYOP's overseas, they left the wire just as much as we did and they talked to the locals just as much as we did.

Army Reserve Career Counselor

Posts: 55 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of the cruiser
posted Hide Post
Both fields are in high demand right now and probably will be for awhile. They do sometimes work together but the actual MOSs are very different. Check out this link for some info: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=85808. Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg Smiler

You should probably research them both and figure out which one interests you more.

FYI: they both should offer you a chance to go to DLI if thats something that interests you.

Good Luck

Posts: 99 | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I personally wuld determine wat you want in your career, and look at wats going to benifit you more.Me personally i like PSYOP but every body is different, i worked with civil affairs over seas,there is only one active duty 38A group,they tend to be more towards humanitarian side of the house, PSYOP does the same mission but alot more, and your training is longer,airborne school, language, AIT, so forth. You can always change you MOS after your contract if you dont like wat your doing or pop smoke and get the hell out, both are gud jobs...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah right, changing your MOS in a critically short MOS is like pulling teeth.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Chris_
posted Hide Post
Civil affairs is the most under payed MOS in the army. What does that mean is if you join as a reserve the amount of load work you will be doing as CA operator will if not greater but atleast same as regular full time job. MISO has much more advantage in that. Active CA is way better option than reserve at any given day.

If not now, then when? If not me, then who?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 11 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post