If you want to reclass to 79S, Career Counselor, you must meet the following criteria:
(1) Be a citizen of the United States.
(2) Be a high school diploma graduate or have had one year of college.
(3) Possess a minimum GT score of 110, waivable to 100 with a ST score of 100, by CDR, HRC.
(4) Be at least 21 years old.(5) Be a SGT(P) or SSG.(6) Be a BNCOC graduate.
Actual attendance to the Career Counselor Course is contingent upon completion of BNCOC.
(7) SGT(P) with no more than 10 years time in service. SSG with no more than 12 years time in service and no more than 2 years time in grade at date of application.(8) Be serving on a second or subsequent term of service.(9) Be serving as a Retention NCO at company or higher level for a minimum of 6 months,
and be recommended by a LTC or higher commander and the first PMOS 79S SGM in command chain, if applicable.
(10) Have completed 1 year of service since reclassification per AR 600-200.
(11) Meet the height and weight standards of AR 600-9.
(12) Meet the minimum physical profile of 132221.
(13) Have no history of lost or bad time on current enlistment or in the past 3 years, whichever is longer (no waiver).
(14) Have no history of drug or alcohol dependency intervention program of any type.
(15) Not be pregnant at time of selection or prior to attendance at the Army Retention NCO Course.
(16) Have no marital, emotional, or major medical problems (to include immediate family members) that would hamper performance as a Career Counselor. (Every effort will be made to assign sponsors enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) to a military installation where definitive medical care is available. This is not, however, a guarantee).
(17) If serving on a dependent restricted tour, waive home base or advanced assignment.(18) If serving on an enlistment/reenlistment contract, for which a Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB) was paid, agree to voluntary recoupment as required by this regulation.(19) Prior completion of, or scheduled to attend the Mobile Retention Training
Team (MRTT) or Subcourse RR003.
Actual attendance to the Career Counselor Course is
contingent upon completion of MRTT or Subcourse.(20) Soldiers will be required to have 36 months time-in-service remaining upon successful completion of the Career Counselor Course prior to reporting for course attendance.
(21) Prior to arrival, all Soldiers attending the Basic Career Counselor Course must complete the following Army Computer Based Training (CBT)/Smart Force Courses: Any one of the Microsoft Word courses, Any one of the Microsoft Excel courses, Any one of the Microsoft Power Point courses, and One course of their choice.RECOMMENDATION:
Before you submit a packet for 79S, Career Counselor, talk with numerous actual Career Counselors to see what you're getting into. This is not just a job; you're charged with taking care of hundreds and even thousands of Soldiers' careers.