ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Transportation    88M Share your experiences please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

88M Share your experiences please!
 Login/Join

Picture of Dumy
posted
Hi, My name is Thomas I am about to head to Ft. Sill, OK then for AIT I report to Fort LWOOD for training to become and 88M. Not much I can find to read about in terms of what the job is like in real life. If anyone out there can shed some light as to what I'll be doing mostly once I am assigned a duty station and how the quality of life will be with specific relation to my MOS I would be most appreciative. Make your replies as long as you wish or as short I'd love to read them all. Thanks

Posts: 15 | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Truck driver, right?

In Germany they drove. And drove. And drove.
They worked different routes all over the country, they were told to drive something from point A to point B, sometimes might sleep at point B, then do it all over again to get to Point A.

We were leaving a Field Training Excercise (FTX) one time, at 0300hrs, they ran out of seats in the trucks so I rode w/ the 88M that showed up to take our containers back. We talked (since he looked sleepy and I didn't want to be doing any off-roading Wink ) but I don't remember much really.

(((OH but check your load- it was his job to just hitch up and go, but the Sergeant First Class who was SUPPOSED to have closed the containers didn't. A wrench fell out and hit the Humvee behind us (on the HIGHWAY)- it was just pure luck nothing else fell out. The door was WIDE OPEN- all kinds of stuff just ready to fall out, we didn't know because it was pitch black and the Autobahns aren't lighted like US highways. When we got back, SFC tried to blame the driver... )))

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of cdawg13b
posted Hide Post
I'm a mechanic in the Reserves and some of my best friends in my unit are 88M. As an 88M you will be expected to inspect any piece of equipment that is dispatched to you to make sure there are no problems before you operate the equipment. This is called PMCS, for Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services. There are also a few minor maintenane tasks that you, as the operator, are expected to do, adding fluids if needed, airing up tires, etc. In Ft. Leonard Wood you will be trained to accomplish these tasks, and you will be trained how to safely operate various types of transportation equipment on a wide variety of terrains. You'll probably be in 58th Trans. at Ft Leonard Wood. My AIT was in A co. 169th Engineer, which is right next to 58th Trans, so I've been there :-)

Thanks for your decision to join and good luck!

I just lost the game....

Posts: 20 | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sgt (P) Marshall
posted Hide Post
have you deployed yet?

ALWAYS FORWARD!!!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
I am not an 88m, I am a mechanic, but my first unit was an Transportation unit in Germany. The truck drivers' mission there was to deliver the mail rom all of the APOs all over Germany. They were on different schedules than the HQ platoon; I didn't even see 90% of them until the unit got ready to deploy. They would leave at all times of the day and night and depending what run they were on, would sleep over in different cities in Germany. They did not even do PT if they were on the road. I had to fill in for one as a TC (not a driver, just a passenger) for a German driver (we worked w/them) and we would leave Kaiserslautern at 0300 and go over to our post office, wait for them to open up and load the truck, then drive to the airport at Frankfurt. Another route I got put on was to Bamburg, and there was a room where I slept over in between runs. It was in an old ass scary-looking WWII building and I was scared that gas would come out of the showers! lol

I heard alot of stories from the drivers about Iraq during OIF III, and during the push through Baghdad. They said they used to get bogged down and have to sit for 15 hours sometmes if the road was closed b/c of a firefight or IED. In convoys a lot of times they would be at a stand still for hours waiting for EOD to come blow something up or diffuse something. That being said, convoys are targets for IEDs so being a truck driver down range is a pretty dangerous job. BUT, when my old unit went over in 05 they only lost one soldier out of their 200 or so, and the second time they lost no one. They are over there now for the third time since I have been associated w/them and I don't think they have lost anyone.

But rest assured whatever unit you go to, you will be driving! Sometimes long distances. In Germany some of our drivers would be gone 2 days and home 1 in between. It can be a hectic schedule, but on the other hand, they didn't have to deal w/formations and garrison BS. Good luck in AIT!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
Truck driver, right?

In Germany they drove. And drove. And drove.
They worked different routes all over the country, they were told to drive something from point A to point B, sometimes might sleep at point B, then do it all over again to get to Point A.

We were leaving a Field Training Excercise (FTX) one time, at 0300hrs, they ran out of seats in the trucks so I rode w/ the 88M that showed up to take our containers back. We talked (since he looked sleepy and I didn't want to be doing any off-roading Wink ) but I don't remember much really.

(((OH but check your load- it was his job to just hitch up and go, but the Sergeant First Class who was SUPPOSED to have closed the containers didn't. A wrench fell out and hit the Humvee behind us (on the HIGHWAY)- it was just pure luck nothing else fell out. The door was WIDE OPEN- all kinds of stuff just ready to fall out, we didn't know because it was pitch black and the Autobahns aren't lighted like US highways. When we got back, SFC tried to blame the driver... )))

Yep I was 66 Trans and they drove their BUTTS off. I didn't even see the whole company together until they cut our missions for pre-deployment training. I thought they were all new soldiers, but they had been there 2 years! lol I never saw them, but they got to see all of Germany, lucky dogs. I had to fill in as a TC once and I had a lay over at Bamburg and one at Hanau. I did a run from Ktown to Frankfurt, and then the one from Ktown to Bamburg. I was a TC for a German driver and we went out in the snow one night. I thought I was going to die on the A6 lol

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sgt (P) Marshall
posted Hide Post
when you deploy, nothin but convoys, like they said you will be drivin, all we did was convoy, but now days its alot safer, as far as we aint lose no lives from our company but other companies we rooled wit lost lives durin our convoys. its still dangerous but any part of the job during deployment is....

ALWAYS FORWARD!!!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 06 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
I hate to bump an old thread, but this section is pretty quiet so I hope it's accepted.

As an 88m:

Last deployment, to Iraq, as a CAV Squadron, I did PSD for the SGM and SCO ( CAV Squadron commander ) and did helicopter insertion night time village raids lasting up to 7 days at a time. Compound clearings and foot patrols.

This deployment, Logistic Patrols. Deliver the goods to the line troops... Every other day for a full year. A little less then half of my entire deployment was spent at the top of a MRAP gunning a 240b down shitty goat trails doing CSE for our logistic truck drivers! Literally half! Also, bunch of IED contact on my section. Seen a VBIED too, but I got lucky and never hit anything with my truck.

Your experience may vary. I, however re enlisted to go 11b last year and will be at OSUT in a few months. 88m is a good job, but the great thing about the Army is the change it offers.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
88M is one of about 12 jobs in the Army I would not want to do.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shewtor McGavin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
88M is one of about 12 jobs in the Army I would not want to do.

I agree. The entire CMF 88, 92, 91, and 74 I would not want to do.

Sequence #229

Posts: 283 | Registered: 26 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
88K is a sweet gig other than slow promotion.

Sea pay that is often higher than flight pay, and Recruiter pay. Field time means just sailing down to the Caribbean. Combat zone=Kuwait. After all these are LARGE OCEANGOING VESSELS, not the small boats you see patrolling the Tigris and Euphrates.

All that and only 2 Active Duty stations: Hawaii and Virginia, so I could actually buy a house and live in it. 88L's aren't bad either but I would rather navigate. Also, the opportunity to go Warrant.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
I am not an 88m, I am a mechanic, but my first unit was an Transportation unit in Germany. The truck drivers' mission there was to deliver the mail rom all of the APOs all over Germany. They were on different schedules than the HQ platoon; I didn't even see 90% of them until the unit got ready to deploy. They would leave at all times of the day and night and depending what run they were on, would sleep over in different cities in Germany. They did not even do PT if they were on the road. I had to fill in for one as a TC (not a driver, just a passenger) for a German driver (we worked w/them) and we would leave Kaiserslautern at 0300 and go over to our post office, wait for them to open up and load the truck, then drive to the airport at Frankfurt. Another route I got put on was to Bamburg, and there was a room where I slept over in between runs. It was in an old ass scary-looking WWII building and I was scared that gas would come out of the showers! lol

I heard alot of stories from the drivers about Iraq during OIF III, and during the push through Baghdad. They said they used to get bogged down and have to sit for 15 hours sometmes if the road was closed b/c of a firefight or IED. In convoys a lot of times they would be at a stand still for hours waiting for EOD to come blow something up or diffuse something. That being said, convoys are targets for IEDs so being a truck driver down range is a pretty dangerous job. BUT, when my old unit went over in 05 they only lost one soldier out of their 200 or so, and the second time they lost no one. They are over there now for the third time since I have been associated w/them and I don't think they have lost anyone.

But rest assured whatever unit you go to, you will be driving! Sometimes long distances. In Germany some of our drivers would be gone 2 days and home 1 in between. It can be a hectic schedule, but on the other hand, they didn't have to deal w/formations and garrison BS. Good luck in AIT!

Wow, now I'm debating if the Guard is really the route I should go instead of Active Duty. 2 days on 1 day off? Civilian Truckers, we go 3-6 weeks on 3 days off. I would have imagined that an active duty army truck driver would be roughly the same schedule?

Future 88M

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post