New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct Commission???
 Login/Join

Picture of SF SGT
posted
Gentlemen, what is this I am hearing about a direct commission from E7 to 2LT? Is this just a nasty rumor going around Korea or did the Army start this up again? I knew they used to do field commissions but that doesn't happen anymore.

Posts: 39 | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From what I have heard they are doing it, but it is for personnel that already have the degrees in the respected areas... i.e. Lawyers, PA's, and such. I dunno about any of the other branches. There is still the direct select for OCS. And if you want really good G2 on that go to this website. www.armyocs.com

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
http://blogs.thenewstribune.co..._35_year_old_burien_

Interesting story. I did a little googling and it appears he was an E6 at the time of his direct commissioning, with 6 years TIS. Any further details are probably only located in his file. lol

Posts: 13 | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am actually a direct commissioned 2LT. I decided to go for it after 12 years in the infantry. So, I for one do not think it is a bad idea. I actually think that the officers that have no prior enlisted experience are at a loss.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SF SGT
posted Hide Post
LT, how does the whole process work?

Thanks,

SSG Rowe

Posts: 39 | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SSG Rowe,
I'm a former 19D who took a direct commission to 70B MS officer. The starting point would be to talk with an AMEDD recruiter.
The recruiter will want numerous forms filled out, a CV, statement of motivation, and all military paperwork i.e. awards, promotions, DD214, NCOER, DD 1059 etc.
Once all the paperwork is in and the recruiter finishes putting your packet together, it goes before a USEREC board. Three things can occur then. You are either anointed, your packet is sent back for corrections or you are denied.
I've been through this process twice and am branch transferring now so I'm currently in the process.
Process takes anywhere from 3 months (shortest and no call outs or problems with getting in your paperwork) to 4-6 months normally.

I hope that helps you out SSG Rowe.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
There was a unsigned G-1 memo floating around the Acquisition world earlier this year with a direct commission for acquisition NCOs who were already DAU certified E-7 -> CPT and E-8 -> MAJ. I know if it actually became policy I'd take advantage of it.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
Found what I was looking for..

*** THIS IS NOT POLICY *** DO NOT CALL G-1 ABOUT IT ***

DAPE-MPO-AP

MEMORANDUM FOR Commander, US Army Human Resources Command, 200 Stovall Street Alexandria, VA 22332.

SUBJECT: Army Competitive Category Meritorious Appointment Direct Commission Policy

1. References:
a. Army Regulation (AR) 601-100 Appointment of Commissioned and Warrant Officers in the Regular Army.
b. AR 350-100, Officer Active Duty Service Obligations.

c. AR 640-30, Photographs For Military Personnel Files.

d. DoDI 1304.26 Qualification standards for Enlistment, Appointment, and Induction.

e. DoDI 1310.2 Appointing Commissioned Officers.

f. DoDD 1304.25 Fulfilling the Military Service Obligation (MSO).

2. Purpose: This memorandum establishes guidelines and procedures authorizing commanders in the rank of Major General or higher to nominate to the President exceptionally qualified Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) and Warrant Officers (WOs) for Direct Commissioning (DC) into the Regular Army (RA) in the Army Competitive Category (ACC) in order to fill mission-critical requirements for Captains (CPT) and Majors (MAJ). It is not intended to encourage individuals to apply for direct commissions, but to give commanders additional flexibility in meeting personnel requirements in this period of high operational tempo. An individual does not request direct appointment/commissioning; rather, an individual must be nominated and selected for consideration by the chain of command.

3. An exceptional few NCOs and WOs already possess the qualifications, skills, experience, and leadership abilities to become ACC CPTs and MAJs without the additional leadership evaluation, training and indoctrination into the Officer Corps gained in Officer Candidate School (OCS) and experience as a junior Officer. Directly appointing these Soldiers will make better use of Army resources by avoiding training and assignments which are redundant to their previous training, education and experience.

4. This policy is not intended to be a routine means for commissioning Officers. OCS already represents an expedited method for commissioning Soldiers who meet very high qualification standards and have demonstrated strong leadership potential. Nominations must present a compelling case that commissioning through OCS would be disadvantageous to the Army. Officers appointed under this program will be branched in the branch in which they served as a WO or NCO.

5. Approval will be based on the needs of the Army, considering both the WO or senior enlisted strength of the nominee’s branch, the strength of CPTs and MAJs in that branch, and the nominee’s qualification. Commanders may nominate Chief Warrant Officers Four (CW4) or Sergeants Major (E9) for appointment as MAJ, and Chief Warrant Officers Three (CW3) or Master Sergeants (E8) as Captains. The DMPM will publish a current list of eligible branches in MILPER messages based on the evolving needs of the Army.

6. Approval authority for a Direct Commission nomination is the Director of Military Personnel Management (DMPM), who will also make the final determination of entry rank if the nominee is offered an appointment.

7. Eligibility: To be considered for a Direct Commission, an NCO or Warrant Officer must meet the following criteria:

a. Three years in an MTOE unit(s) in a position authorized for the nominee’s current grade, or higher. Time served in these positions may be across more than one assignment or position.

b. Cumulative deployment experience of at least six months in duration since 11 September, 2001.

c. WO’s must have completed the Warrant Officer Advanced Course and CW4’s must have also completed the Warrant Officer Staff Course. Master Sergeants (MSG) must have completed the Advanced Noncommissioned Officer Course and the Battle Staff Course, and Sergeants Major (SGM) must have completed the Sergeant’s Major Academy.

b. In addition to requirements in this memorandum, nominees must meet all eligibility requirements listed in reference a. Nominees must possess a Secret or higher security clearance. Nominees who will not be commissioned prior to age 42 are ineligible under the provisions of Title 10 U.S.C, § 532 and will not be considered. Statutory provisions cannot be waived unless expressly granted by Congress.

d. Must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have a GT score of 110 or above.

e. Must be nominated by a Major General, Lieutenant General, or General.

f. Must meet eligibility requirements of AR 601-100. More stringent eligibility requirements in this memorandum supersede applicable eligibility criteria in AR 601-100. IAW AR 601-100, appointees must possess a Secret or higher security clearance.

g. The ineligibility criterion of AR 601-100 para 1-14 h. is hereby waived for Officer appointed under this program.

8. Procedures:

a. Nomination Packets will consist of:

(1) DA Form 61 . Nominees will select only the branch in which they are currently serving.

(2) All Officer Evaluation Reports, Noncommissioned Officer Evaluation Reports and Academic Evaluation Reports received during the nominee’s career. Nominees should also document any unique skills that not already recorded in the Official Military Personnel File that would fill a critical need in the ACC, such as professional certifications.
(3) College transcripts.
(4) Requests for waiver(s), if required, to AR 601-100.
(5) Affidavit if previously a conscientious objector.
(6) Chain of command endorsements. These endorsements should clearly explain why it is in the Army’s best interest to approve the nomination.
(7) Current official photograph in accordance with reference c.
(8) A completed contract and service agreement.

b. Send the nomination packet to HRC, ATTN:_____ 200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332.

(1) A three-member board appointed by the Commander, HRC will make a recommendation on each nomination. The board president must be a Colonel or above. The board must include at least one field-grade Officer in the nominee’s branch.

(2) Analysis by both EPMD (if the nominee is an NCO) and OPMD on how approval would affect the branch in terms of ability to meet Army requirements.

c. HRC will forward the nomination packet to the DMPM within 30 days of receipt for decision.

9. Commanders are encouraged to nominate qualified Soldiers with degrees in engineering, math, sciences, information technology, anthropology, or foreign languages listed on the DoD Strategic Language List.

11. This program is temporary and will be terminated when the DCS, G-1 has determined that the Army has attained a sufficient inventory of CPTs and MAJs to satisfy ongoing requirements through traditional commissioning sources.

12. The DCS, G-1 point of contact is MAJ Ian Murdoch, DAPE-MPO-AP,
(703) 695-6644.

MICHAEL D. ROCHELLE
Lieutenant General, U.S. Army
Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here is a more current Milper Message.

http://www.wired.com/images_bl...t_program_1nov10.pdf

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post