ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Warrior Leaders Course    Failure from WLC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Failure from WLC
 Login/Join

posted
I am an NCO, promoted wile in Afghanistan, when I returned from country I was sent to a new unit. After about 4 months at the unit I was Ordered to attend WLC. However I am set to ETS within a year so I voiced that I did not want to attend the school. Nevertheless, I was sent to the school and was doing very well, passing every test and holding a 90% average. I did recieve a couseling for leaving a pair of dog tags in a drawer, and then for bringing my phone to the field, I had a personal reason for doing so, not to say that excludes me from the rules by any means. I was counseled and returned to my unit. Once I step foot into my sections office I notified that my leave for soon thereafter which was approved by all levels was now being thrown in the trash. Now my Section NCO has couseled me that he is reccommending that I be releived of rank as well. Can anyone shed some light as to the regulations on NCOS as it pertains to holding the rank of E5?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Liftticket27:
I am an NCO, promoted wile in Afghanistan, when I returned from country I was sent to a new unit. After about 4 months at the unit I was Ordered to attend WLC. However I am set to ETS within a year so I voiced that I did not want to attend the school. Nevertheless, I was sent to the school and was doing very well, passing every test and holding a 90% average. I did recieve a couseling for leaving a pair of dog tags in a drawer, and then for bringing my phone to the field, I had a personal reason for doing so, not to say that excludes me from the rules by any means. I was counseled and returned to my unit. Once I step foot into my sections office I notified that my leave for soon thereafter which was approved by all levels was now being thrown in the trash. Now my Section NCO has couseled me that he is reccommending that I be releived of rank as well. Can anyone shed some light as to the regulations on NCOS as it pertains to holding the rank of E5?

You need WLC if you want to attend the SSG Board, there is also no such thing as "rank of E5." You could be getting demoted due to inneficiency.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
also u must have one year of active federal service in order to be promoted to the rank of sergeant. but u are already an nco...if im not mistaken ur supposed to complete wlc within a year of being promoted unless deployed but i cant quote any reg on that so im not 100 percent...and not tryin to speak for the actions of ur leadership, they might be reducing ur rank because of the phone incident..it could be viewed as a failure to follow a simple order and that is not setting the right example for soldiers under u...but that is not for me to speak for ur leaders...

Posts: 74 | Registered: 02 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion.... if you can't pass WLC for whatever reason, you don't need to be an NCO, period.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hurry up Airborne
posted Hide Post
I agree with Go Ordnance. WLC is a joke and if you can follow simple instructions and pass a P.T. test you can make Commandants List. On the other hand there is nothing saying you have to graduate WLC to be a NCO, just to go to the E-6 board. You need to find out why the are thinking of the reduction in rank.

Posts: 35 | Location: Ft. Campbell | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Chain of Command was most likely notified of their Soldier (meaning you) failed WLC. Failing any NCOES course is a serious bad "no-no". Not only does it look bad on your ERB (records and future civilian resume) but it tarnishes the command that sent you there. I am sure that the WLC senior NCO leadership or the WLC Sergeant Major sent a nasty gram or phone call to your SGM or senior NCOs. So the old saying, "pooh-rolls down hill...." There is a lot of E5s that got promoted during deployment and then return back to the states thinking that they are getting out and no need to attend any NCOES courses, but that really is a bad mistake on a Soldier's part because the course is free, and on a resume it just adds additional bullets that a civilian company may look at. It is tough out in the civilian market and those who think that getting out of the service is better than staying in might want to ask around and see the current job market. So to answer the actual question, you had a year left in service, you should have attempt to pass the course, follow orders, and if you needed your cell phone for some sort of specific issue then you discuss and inform your immediate chain of command and gotten approval. Then this issue would have never came up in the first place. Do your remaining time as if you just joined up, do what is right. If you want to get out then that is okay as well, just don't burn bridges along the way out the door, those people may be needed in the near future.

Posts: 225 | Location: 513th MI BDE, Fort Gordon, GA | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DoubleDuece
posted Hide Post
Looks like you took a phone where you weren't supposed to and now your gonna get busted for it.

"War is an act of force, and to the application of that force there is no limit. Each of the advisaries forces the hand of the other, and in a recipricol action results in which there can be no limit..."
Carl von Clausewitz, on war, 1833

Posts: 290 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Read a little closer. The truth is you may be demoted for failing WLC. Even though it is not a requirement to attain E5 if you attend the school and then fail you are supposed to be demoted, I am not sure if it falls under inefficiency or substandard performance however I do kn ow 100% that it is possible as a 42A I have processed paperwork for soldiers that our CSM demoted due to WLC failure and not meeting the proper requirements of an NCO.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post