Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WLC
 Login/Join

posted
Some questions arose around the Reserve Unit I am at about E-5's getting there rank taken away from them after a year if not completing WLC. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
I dont know if the Reserves still do it, when I first came in this policy was still in effect, you would get promoted to SERGEANT, if you did not attend PLDC within one year of promotion, your rank was taken back and you were a SPC again.

This is no longer in effect, you can become a Sergeant and not go to WLC within one year and still keep your SGT rank.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
PLDC used to be required. Now, things have changed and the only time you have to go to WLC is if you want to attend the E6 board. Same with BNOC. It is supposed to help those who deploy a lot and can't get a slot.

Now, I would suggest getting it done as soon as possible. Why wait until you are ready to go to the board to think "oh wait, I should go to WLC."

REDLEG81

Posts: 203 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you are active duty can't you get flagged and barred from reenlistment for failure to progress if you have been an E-5 for a while and have not attended WLC.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My good friend (recently promoted..finally), had a good 3-4 years without WLC. Not entirely his fault, mostly a lot of moving around and TDY. He was very high on the OML when returning from deployment, though. Prior to that, though, he hadn't attended and it hadn't been an issue..only was holding him up from making E6.

Posts: 183 | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevilDog 2Soldier:
If you are active duty can't you get flagged and barred from reenlistment for failure to progress if you have been an E-5 for a while and have not attended WLC.

NO. But you cant go to the promotion board to SSG without WLC unless you are deployed.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shakezula
posted Hide Post
actually....
WLC is not a required NCOES for the entire ARMY, it all depends on unit policy. PLDC is a required NCOES, though, for SSGs to keep SSG rank

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft Hood | Registered: 29 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know at the unit I am in now they send all of the E-4'S and some of the E-3'S to WLC.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of white26golf
posted Hide Post
I just graduated BNCOC not too long ago and the instructors there told me that TRADOC is revamping all NCOES courses....what I mean by that is that you need to have the level of NCOES prior to your promotion or you will fall behind, i.e. E-1 to E-4 for WLC, E-5 for BNCOC(soon to be ALC), E-6 for ANCOC(soon to be ELC) and so on.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shakezula:
actually....
WLC is not a required NCOES for the entire ARMY, it all depends on unit policy. PLDC is a required NCOES, though, for SSGs to keep SSG rank

Wait wait WLC is not required but PLDC is????

Do you realize PLCD IS WLC!!

Lead by Example!!!

Picture of Shakezula
posted Hide Post
yeah maybe I am an Rtrd. I was kinda meaning pldc... wlc is required for ssg but not for sgt. My bad. Thats the kind of info you get when intoxicated people post on the internet!

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft Hood | Registered: 29 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ELC?

Posts: 212 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of white26golf
posted Hide Post
MSG High, sorry, I can't remember what they said ELC would stand for. ALC is Advanced Leaders Course, so maybe ELC is for Experienced Leaders Course. Don't take my word on it though.

posted Hide Post
Thanks ... first I've heard of that.

Posts: 212 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of white26golf
posted Hide Post
Actually, concerning ALC, they are supposed to be running a pilot of it this fall. They are supposed to start including a lot of stuff from ANCOC in it. The theory is to teach SSG or SGT(P) the tasks of a SFC before they make that rank. The same for WLC and the soon to be ELC (or 1SG's course).