ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Warrior Leaders Course    Don't Want To Go To WLC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't Want To Go To WLC
 Login/Join

posted
Ok I know i am gonna get a lot of reasons that I should go but I really dont want to, I am a SPC that got DA selected and now I have 350 Promotion Points. I have turned down the board, I dont want to be a SGT, I am not a dirt bag, I bust my ass at work, but SGT is just somthing i dont want, I am a Mechanic and that is what i joined to do, I have no desire to supervise, train, teach, lead other soldiers. I am now Being told I have to go to WLC There is no way around it, and if I fight it I will lose rank.

I am a SGT's dream they dont have to worry about me at all i never get in trouble and bust my ass for them, If i dont want to "move up the ladder" then I am a dirtbag? If i say ok take my rank let me get back to work what then? can they do that?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How much time do you have left in the Army before you ETS? I know you have probably heard this several times already, but your in the Army to be a soldier first, and along with that comes the duties of training and leading soldiers etc., over time thats what a soldier grows into. You should seriously reconsider your thoughts on going to WLC and becoming an NCO especially if you are already good with your MOS (mechanic). Think it over. I do not know if you can lose rank for not attending WLC but besides all of that, consider it, it cant hurt you and it'll be a good couple weeks of training, that alone might change your mind on becoming a NCO. Good luck and take care.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I see 2 options here.

a) go to wlc and never go to the promotion board that way youll only have 350 points and never make sgt unless, by the light of god points drop down that low, whats your mos by the way.

b) tell them to show you the regulation that says they can take away rank for not going to wlc. (that makes me lol, why not give the wlc slot to someone who wants to go?)

if it helps any, the wlc i attended was cake, 14 days and it'll be over and you can go back to being a mechanic.

Posts: 77 | Registered: 13 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Parallax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaer:
Ok I know i am gonna get a lot of reasons that I should go but I really dont want to, I am a SPC that got DA selected and now I have 350 Promotion Points. I have turned down the board, I dont want to be a SGT, I am not a dirt bag, I bust my ass at work, but SGT is just somthing i dont want, I am a Mechanic and that is what i joined to do, I have no desire to supervise, train, teach, lead other soldiers. I am now Being told I have to go to WLC There is no way around it, and if I fight it I will lose rank.

I am a SGT's dream they dont have to worry about me at all i never get in trouble and bust my ass for them, If i dont want to "move up the ladder" then I am a dirtbag? If i say ok take my rank let me get back to work what then? can they do that?

Seems that the latest AR 600-8-19 covers this:

10–18. Failure to complete or attend Noncommissioned Officers Education System
Soldiers who fail to successfully complete, fail to remain eligible to be scheduled for or attend, who are denied enrollment in, or who do not attend their scheduled NCOES class (through fault of the Soldier) will be administratively reduced or removed from the promotion list. Soldiers will only be reduced when NCOES is required for his/her current grade. Soldiers will be removed from promotion list when promotion is being held in abeyance (for reasons set forth in para 1–27). The effective date of administrative reduction is the date of the action that caused the Soldier to be ineligible to retain the promotion. The DOR will be the previous DOR held at the reduced grade.

So I guess you should only be removed from the promotion list, but then again its not an unlawful order... Sounds like a tight rope. Hope I was able to help.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 04 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well WLC where i am is 4 weeks long and i have about one more deployment left literally, after that i plan on not being in the army anymore,hell i just did 15 months, too many things to list but you know the army isnt for everyone, i have no problem fulfilling my contract i signed up for it i will finish it but what i dont understand is if i dont want to go, be promoted or any of it, why should i go and someone who wants to not go, also is there any regulation that says i have to go?

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyl3:
b) tell them to show you the regulation that says they can take away rank for not going to wlc. (that makes me lol, why not give the wlc slot to someone who wants to go?)

Before we get out of hand on this one ... a Soldier can (and most likely will) lose rank for disobeying an order and for non-reporting to place of duty.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If the soldier has expressed himself to whomever is sending him to wlc that

quote:
I have no desire to supervise, train, teach, lead other soldiers

they're still gonna send him anyway? it makes no sense

you can make leaders but when a soldier has no desire to be one what is the purpose.

Posts: 77 | Registered: 13 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jgarner
posted Hide Post
vaer...quick question...do you not want to be an nco because you feel you're not ready to train lead supervise, etc...or because you don't want to?

I am a soldier, I fight where I'm told, and win where I fight.

Posts: 222 | Location: FORT LEAVENWORTH, KS | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of jgarner
posted Hide Post
also...you're a soldier first not a mechanic...i remember getting that drilled in my head in basic...

I am a soldier, I fight where I'm told, and win where I fight.

Posts: 222 | Location: FORT LEAVENWORTH, KS | Registered: 27 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
no it's not that i feel i am not ready i just dont want it at all, and i also remember getting "you are a soldier first" drilled into my head and it made sense in basic but honestly I might do soldier tasks once a week where as an infantryman does it every damn day, so while you are a soldier first may be the goal it usually isnt the outcome

Picture of INTELLTROOPER
posted Hide Post
Here, if you refuse to go to WLC and don't show up when it comes time to go. You aren't disciplined for not attending WLC you get an article 15 for disobeying a direct order (the order being "go to WLC") bottom line is you are in the Army and they CAN tell you what to do. If they say you have to go, then I'm sorry to say it, but you have to go.

On the bright side there are a lot of soldiers here who try to not go and duck it as much as they can but when they go they actually learn something. I don't mean about the army stuff I'm talking about dealing with other people and also other things that will help you once you leave the army.

My advice, go. You might learn a lot and also you might change your mind about becoming an NCO. I know I did. If nothing else when you come back you may have a higher respect for SGT's.

Posts: 42 | Location: Ft. Huachuca | Registered: 25 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyReup
posted Hide Post
Ok, here is my 2 cents and another way to look at it. How much time do you have left in the Army. If you do decide to leave active service and pursue other courses of action, good for you, good luck, thank you for serving. With that said, it would look better for you, to an employer on the outside, if you left the service as an NCO. Shows that you have what it takes to move up. Also, lets say that you do get a pretty decent job, your employer says to you, need you to attend some training, with completion of the training, you will get a pay raise. Hell who would not want more money for doing his or her job??? One of the reasons for an NCOES is not to hassle you, but to remind you that you are a Soldier. Bottom line, reconsider your choice and remember, at this point in time you may want to leave at your ETS but as you approach that time, things might not work out like you plan and you may want to reenlist. If that does happen, your chain of command might not look upon you in a favorable light. Good luck

Posts: 197 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 17 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At first, I really didn't want to go to WLC too. ArmyReup is right though, while all you want to do is to be a mechanic, it will look good on your Resume to say that you have been to a leadership course. Maybe you don't necessarily have to change anything about your day to day performance at work by becoming an NCO and that's why they really want you to go. And again, who doesn't want more money in their paycheck? If all these comment posts haven't changed your mind yet.... Let us know what you end up doing!

Posts: 163 | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT_Lipowski
posted Hide Post
Well I went when it was called PLDC for one and secondly in the real army even if you go that doesn't nesarily mean you'll get picked up for SGT. Especially if your mos has high points... and if you were DA selected you dont nessarily have to go to WLC.

wars come and go but soldiers stay eternal...... 2Pac

Posts: 6 | Location: Dallas, TX, US | Registered: 07 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JasonT
posted Hide Post
You can always write a statement saying you do not wish to be promoted and give it to the commander. They'll probally counsel you about your professional development. I have seen people refuse promotions before.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post