ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Warrior Leaders Course    WLC required to be a E5?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WLC required to be a E5?
 Login/Join

posted
I was told by my 1SG, if I do not attend WLC with in 1 year of my DOR to E5, that I will be reduced back to E4.

I looked up the regulation of reduction and found in AR 600-8-19 para 10-18 "10–18. Failure to complete or attend Noncommissioned Officers Education System
Soldiers who fail to successfully complete, fail to remain eligible to be scheduled for or attend, who are denied
enrollment in, or who do not attend their scheduled NCOES class (through fault of the Soldier) will be administratively
reduced or removed from the promotion list. Soldiers will only be reduced when NCOES is required for his/her current
grade. Soldiers will be removed from promotion list when promotion is being held in abeyance (for reasons set forth in
para 1–27, of this regulation). The effective date of administrative reduction is the date of the action that caused the
Soldier to be ineligible to retain the promotion. The DOR will be the previous DOR held at the reduced grade."

Now can some one help me find where it says WLC is a requirement to be an E5? I have always been told it is a requirement to be promoted to E6.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
It use to be back in the day; if you were a person that pinned E-5 and did not have PLDC, your promotion was conditional for one year.

Now they changed it that WLC is required for E6.

http://usmilitary.about.com/li...gtssgtpromotion2.htm

http://armyncoes.com/
http://www.goarmy.com/soldier-...r-leader-course.html

Also, I found your answer on this website at

http://www.armystudyguide.com/...ligibility-and.shtml

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TheWiseChief,

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So in short, no it is not required to be an E5, just to be promoted to E6?

Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Roger, my sentence was written wrong; it should have said

Now they changed it that WLC is required for E6.

I changed it in my initial post.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Why not just go to WLC and not even be put in that situation? I mean, It is only the easiest NCOES school out there.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but I believe there are changes coming down in October to the effect that your First Sergeant is eluding to.

Posts: 392 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Back in the day (before 2005ish) it was like that, you had to do PLDC (WLC) before the one year mark, if not back to SPC you went...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
Here at Carson they are doing a huge push to get all SGTs through WlC. If there is a history of deferring they are going to administer reduction boards.

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S S0DEN:
Now can some one help me find where it says WLC is a requirement to be an E5? I have always been told it is a requirement to be promoted to E6.

Easy: because your Commander ordered it...

yes the Regs were changed because during the Iraq/Afghan wars it was too hard to get to school. Guess what, wars are slowing down.!

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post