ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    Dec Statement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dec Statement
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Soldier that was recently put on Recruiter orders. He is in his 2nd enlistment, but plans on ETS'ing after this term is up.

I recently heard that there is or is going to be changes made to the policy concerning the signing of a Dec Statement.

What "repercussions" would he face for signing a Dec Statement? As I recall, he will be ineligable for promotion and re-enlistment. Is this still the case?

Posts: 29 | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes along with not being eligable for awards as well. The SM will be completely flagged with no chance of getting it lifted. And might still have to go if they reassign them to the duty.

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

USAR Career Counselor
Picture of Daddy Warcrimes
posted Hide Post
ummmmm..........no.

armymedic83, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but there is no flag that should result from a DCSS.

I signed one some years back. I wasn't flagged, wasn't barred, and I was still eligible for awards (received one in fact). The only thing that limited me was a service remaining requirement (promotion, school, etc).

Posts: 2867 | Location: 13th BN ARCD, AZ | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am getting my info straight from the milpo office at FT. Eustis. I had a NCO sign one 4 months ago and that is exactly what happend to them.

Posts: 416 | Location: FT Monroe, VA | Registered: 17 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Black
posted Hide Post
The DCSS is a Retention thing, and I am sure that the Career Counselor has the right answer. You are getting bad info. Here is what it says in the regulation. AR 601-280 4-12 C (1)-(9).

c. The commander/first sergeant will counsel the Soldier, ensuring the Soldier fully understands that
refusal to comply with orders will result in the execution of a DCSS. Specifically, Soldiers with a DCSS
are:
(1) Placed in a non-promotable status.
(2) Prohibited from reenlistment or extension of enlistment.
(3) Prohibited from applying for reentry into the Regular Army for a period of at least 93 days if
separated at normal ETS, and at least 2 years if voluntarily separated before ETS under applicable
provisions of AR 635-200.
(4) Required to receive a rank determination from ARMY G1, if approved for reentry into the Regular
Army.
(5) Prohibited from application, selection, or attendance for commissioning or warrant officer
appointment programs while on the current period of active duty.
(6) Precluded from consideration by ARMY G1 for centralized selection for promotion and/or advanced
schooling.
(7) Eligible to request voluntary separation under the provisions of paragraph, 16-4b AR 635-200.
(8) Eligible for other assignments (CONUS and OCONUS) provided you have sufficient service
remaining to meet the requirements of the new assignment.
(9) Not eligible for separation pay.

If you are going to say someone is wrong, then you need to back it up with regulations. Believing what someone says just based on where they work might not always work.

Posts: 314 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Daddy Warcrimes, what I don't understand is how you stayed in the Army once your remaining service was up. Since the DCSS bars you from reenlisting or extending. Or was it when you did sign it you were allready indefinate? I am confused.

Posts: 2607 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
Daddy Warcrimes, what I don't understand is how you stayed in the Army once your remaining service was up. Since the DCSS bars you from reenlisting or extending. Or was it when you did sign it you were allready indefinate? I am confused.

I BELIEVE he came back in.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow could you imagine what kind of message that would send to soldiers if the Army punished you for signing a DCSS statement. Especially if your a soldier overseas and you come up on orders that you have to reenlist for even though you plan to ETS. That would be a true injustice to soldiers that served honorably

Steven R. Kreger

Posts: 124 | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srk4381:
Wow could you imagine what kind of message that would send to soldiers if the Army punished you for signing a DCSS statement. Especially if your a soldier overseas and you come up on orders that you have to reenlist for even though you plan to ETS. That would be a true injustice to soldiers that served honorably

Roll Eyes
The Army does not "punish" anyone for signing a DCSS.

The Soldier is officially telling the Army that they no longer want to serve. Should a Soldier be rewarded for this?

What SHOULD happen to a Soldier that on longer want to serve?

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I did put an IF in there lol I already know the army doesn't punish soldiers for signing a dcss statement.

Steven R. Kreger

Posts: 124 | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post