ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    Reenlistment after an Entry Level Discharge... Ranger an option?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reenlistment after an Entry Level Discharge... Ranger an option?
 Login/Join

Picture of WantToServe
posted
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I began BCT at Ft. Sill on 17 OCT 2007. I was discharged 23 JAN 2008. I was sparated under Chapter 5-17 with a Separation code of JFV and a Reentry code of 3.

Basically, I had some pretty bad circumstances going on with my life at the time I enlisted which were weighing pretty heavily on me. I didn't fully realize these things were severely depressing me at the time but when I got to basic they became exacerbated. I was discharged due to the depression.

My 1SG at BCT told me that I could reenlist after two years.

My question is, will I be considered "emotionally unstable" from now on by the military? Or is it possible to convince them, perhaps after a psych evaluation, that it was a low point in my life and a one time problem? Will this effect my ability to get security clearances? Or enlistment options such as an Option 40 contract (RIP), or the 18X program (oppurtunity to try for SF)?

Secondly, is it possible to reeenlist before then with a waiver? I know it's possible with medical issues but I do not know if that applies to my situation as well.

Ever since I was discharged and returned home, the things that were bothering me that I thought were such big problems seem inconsequential compared to the guilt and shame I feel for getting out prematurely. I took an oath to serve this country and desperately want to fulfill that obligation. Secondly, after having NO freedom in basic, I learned how valuable freedom really is and that I want to fight for it. Being a civilian just doesn't seem the same to me anymore and ever since returning home I feel like I get weaker each day as I lose the edge I gained in training. I feel like I'm only half of the person that I was when I was enlisted.

I guess that's enough of my monologue about how much it sucks to be out now. Ha ha.

If it helps, my qualifactions are:
No criminal history.
No other psychological or emotional history.
No medical history.
Honor Student.
20-30 College credits if I can reenlist early, or 64 credits and an Associates degree if I have to wait the two years.
High level of fitness.
Active in community.
Overall 97 on ASVAB with perfect scores in most areas.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

-KWM

Posts: 2 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MPStokes
posted Hide Post
A Chapter 5-17 isn't an easy chapter to get. You will need a waiver for your RE Code 3, but I'm sure if you've given it some time to get things straight, and you can go to a Dr., (MEPS will probably do this,) to say that you're mentally and emotionally stable, they might let you re-enlist. I've seen it happen before, a waiver from a doc and a re-enlistment.

You will just really have to prove your situation and your mental stability is different now, than it was when you were discharged.

As far as security clearance's, don't quote me on this, but I believe I've seen somewhere that now, seeing the "wizard" or a pysch dr won't affect your enlistment, I'm not sure about your SC. You really need to talk to a recruiter in your area, if he gives you the run-around, talk to another one.

I've got a recruiter buddy in Ohio, I'll give him a call and see what he says..

You Hate Me For Being An MP, I Hate You For Being Stupid And Giving Me Another Reason To Do My Job....

Posts: 69 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 12 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of WantToServe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply MPStokes. I really appreciate you going out of your way to talk to your buddy who is a Recruiter as well.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Any update to this thread?

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post