ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    I am being told I have to extend my contract or sign a dec statement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am being told I have to extend my contract or sign a dec statement
 Login/Join

posted
I came down on orders for Washington and I have 19 months left in the army. My career counselor is telling me that in order to accept the orders I have to extend my contract by 8 months. If I refuse to extend my contract he's telling me I have to sign a "dec statement" which means my career is over and I cant re-enlist and since I have over a year left on my contract I'll probably end up going to korea. He's also telling me I cant re-enlist because im out of my window (I was hoping to reclass)

sounds shady to me is he trying to scare me into extending? what if I dont sign anything? I dont know whats going on

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
You need to either extend (new reenlistment window is 12 months) or sign a DCSS statement to get out of those orders, just b/c you sign the DCSS statement does not mean that you will get orders for Korea, you could get orders for Kuwait too...and he is not scaring you, its his job to inform you of your options which at this point are to extend or DCSS statement...hey before your choices would be to either reenlist (for the assignment you are already in) or DCSS statement...now at least you can extend enough to meet the assignment and then get out...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Rangers94
posted Hide Post
TransAm is correct. I fell into the same situation when I came down on recruiting orders. I told USAREC I was in the process of reclassing and here I am about a year later. Living the dream of a detailed recruiter. Hope it works out for you.

Posts: 60 | Location: US | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
(new reenlistment window is 12 months)
Be careful with the information you put out, the reenlistment window is not 12 months. It's a static window, meaning that it started at 24 months and gets shorter each month we move in the Fiscal Year. The static end date is 30 Sep 2012, on 1 Oct 2010 the window was 24 months; 1 Nov 2010 it moved to 23 months and 1 Dec 2010 it moved to 22 months. On 1 Apr 2011, the window will be 18 months.

Short version, your ETS date needs to be between today and 30 Sep 2012 in order to be in your reenlistment window.

Posts: 686 | Location: ARMY WIDE | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was going to say, "When did they change the window to 12 months?" JMW3CC is correct. Do not put out false information, it only makes things worse. Also when it comes to reenlisment, what happened to one individual might not be the same thing that happens to you.

Its a Dec Statement or a Declination of Countinued Service Statement.

Posts: 48 | Location: Office | Registered: 10 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neowolfe:
I came down on orders for Washington and I have 19 months left in the army.

Have you ever reenlisted before? Any prior service time?

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
I smell a one post wonder, LOL...I like how he doesnt want to extend but then is saying that if he signs a DCSS statement that means his "career" is over...WTF?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TransAm95NCO:
I smell a one post wonder, LOL...I like how he doesnt want to extend but then is saying that if he signs a DCSS statement that means his "career" is over...WTF?

I dont want to extend because I would rather re-enlist so I can change my MOS. or go to washington and if I dont like it just gtfo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyReenlistment:
quote:
Originally posted by neowolfe:
I came down on orders for Washington and I have 19 months left in the army.

Have you ever reenlisted before? Any prior service time?
yeah I re-enlisted once before

Picture of SFC RossiJ
posted Hide Post
Have you spoken to your CSM about this or just the retention NCO? If you have not spoken to your CSM you need to. A DCSS is a death sentence, kind of. It CAN be retracted after you sign one but it will take your CSM to talk with your branch manager. If you talk to your CSM maybe he will see your side and help you out. The caveat to this is that that DCSS and the retraction will both be in your OMPF and CANNOT be removed, might not be that favorable at promotion time.

Posts: 273 | Location: USEMBASSY Abuja, Nigeria | Registered: 17 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am currently in the same position however, I am NOT trying to reclass and I am NOT trying to appeal my next assignment. I would just like the option of reenlisting instead of being forced to. My suposed window opens up (I'm told)in Oct but Im told that I only have 30 days to decide. there have been no orders cut for me yet, Im just being shown as on assignment. Is there any way of holding off till my window opens or having this assignment canceled/defered so that I have the option of reenlisting? I have no desire to get out of the Army but I also don't think I should be forced into doing something Im already willing to do.

"Air Assault"
Rank is nothing, talent is everything... FM 3-24.2

Posts: 4 | Location: somewhere  | Registered: 22 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bleedArmy:
.... I also don't think I should be forced into doing something Im already willing to do.

huh?
-If you don't willingly keep in shape, the Army will "force" you to.
-If you don't go get a haircut, the Army will force it.
etc...

You're never "forced" to re-up. You just ETS out. And right now it's REALLY hard to get back in as priorservice.

So you need to decide: stay in the Army? or not?
--A DCCS should not be high on your list of things to try....

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5328 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
A DCCS should not be high on your list of things to try.

No where in my post did it say that I am even considering signing a DCCS so therefore it is not even on my list of options to try.If there is a list, the only options I have listed are trying to delay the process until my reenlistment window opens. " I have no desire to get out of the Army" was the part of my quote that you left out. What I meant by being forced is that my option has been taken away from me by coming down on assignment before my window opens with 16 mnths before ETS. Thanks for the insight though.

"Air Assault"
Rank is nothing, talent is everything... FM 3-24.2

Posts: 4 | Location: somewhere  | Registered: 22 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
One thing I hear from a lot of posts is people don't want to be forced to reenlist because they want options when their window opens. Sorry to say the only option you have when you come down on assignment is Regular Army Reenlistment Option. Even if you are inside your reup window or outside your window. Or you can extend. There is no reclass option or anyother option when you reenlist to meet service remaining requirement.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A lot of Soldiers fall into a grey area, especially overseas, where they are due to leave a duty station before thier reenlistment window opens. What everyone needs to keep in mind is that you have roughly 30-45 days to decide whether to Extend/Reup/DCSS upon notification of assignment instructions. If you are an initial you cannot sign a DCSS. If you would like to have an option other than the one that you were given, you need to talk to your career counselor about what options are out there. It is possible that your MOS may be overstrength or the MOS that you would like to reclassify into does not have any class slots open. IF that is the case you could work with your branch manager for something more favorable. Adopting the "you can't make me" attitude only serves to hurt you. It can be much more beneficial to your career to educate yourself about your options by reading the regulation and doing some digging, then going to the experts to get further ahead. Start checking your options about 8 months or so out from your DROS or DEROS. If you will not be in your reup window 4-6 months out from that date, then it is time to get your Career Counselor to talk to branch about getting you an assignment. If you are in your window during that time frame, then reenlist or expect to be put on an assignment not of your choosing.

Bottom line: Take care of your own Career.

Posts: 25 | Location: Germany | Registered: 27 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post