ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    Question about Extensions and ETS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Extensions and ETS
 Login/Join

posted
I am a 21B (Combat Engineer), e-5, deployed to Iraq. My adjusted ETS due to this deployment is Mid-Oct 2009. I have never re-enlisted, or extended in my career. I am currently working to become a Warrant Officer Aviator, I have my packet almost completly done, but I need 12 months TIS from the date of the convening of the board. The first board is in may, and the second one is in July, if my packet doesnt get picked up during the first one.

My question is this. Am I able to extend from Oct, 2009 ETS date I currently have to a July 2010 ETS date so that when both boards convene I will have 12 months TIS left? Some people have told me that I would HAVE to re-enlist for two years, but to me that is a bad decision because in my field, that would push my new ETS outside of the dwell time after this deployment is over in july 2009. However, if I am able to extend, then I will still be non-deployable if I do not get picked up for WO.

I hope this makes sense, my reasoning behind it all is two deployments as a 21B is all I can handle, if I don't make flight school, then I just want to seperate and I want to have the assurance that I am able to do that without a third deployment.

Posts: 2 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 01 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
do you not think that you will deploy as an aviator??? just wondering

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
So you dont want to deploy anymore? You need to go ahead and ETS if the answer is yes.

Now, you CANNOT extend if you are within your reenlsitment window, which means if you are within 24 months of your ETS (which you are) you CANNOT extend, you have to reenlist for at least 2 years.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have no problem deploying. What I don't like is doing route clearance, wasting years of my life looking at the side of the road and hoping to find the damn bomb before it finds me. If you re-read my initial statement, what I said was that I cant handle another deployment as a 21B.

To add on to your answer of not being able to extend while in re-enlistment window. I had a couple of friends who had less than 90 days left TIS, but extended one year so that they met requirements to get pinned e-6. How is that different?

Posts: 2 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 01 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
quote:
then I just want to seperate and I want to have the assurance that I am able to do that without a third deployment.

that is what you said...

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GI_Jay:
My question is this. Am I able to extend from Oct, 2009 ETS date I currently have to a July 2010 ETS date so that when both boards convene I will have 12 months TIS left?

No, you cannot extend while in your reenlistment window.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GI_Jay:
I had a couple of friends who had less than 90 days left TIS, but extended one year so that they met requirements to get pinned e-6. How is that different?

This is an exception for Soldiers that have to meet a service remaining requirement for a promotion; you are just requesting an extension for a selection board. Yours is not guaranteed ... the promotion to SSG already is.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post