ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    Dec Statement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dec Statement
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Firstly I would like to thank you in advance for your help as currently I am in a bit of a pickle.

I am a E-5 with 6 years in the Army and on my second enlistment. I just recently came down on orders to move from Campbell to Bragg and my report date is June 10th, that is less than 14 months from my ETS date. I own a home and plan to stay at Ft. Campbell after my ETS as well as own a local business that I am trying to make successful.

There lies my problem. If I move now I will be at the very least be putting my business on hold if not dooming it in the current economy.

The question I have is can I sign a declination statement before or near my report date and stay at my current unit till my ETS? I know it will bar me from reenlistment as well as favorable action but will it keep me from coming back in at a later date if my situation changes down the line? Will it keep me from getting a honorable discharge? Will the army simply assign me to a new duty station or will I then be short enough where they need to ETS me where I am?

I understand the needs of the army however it seems pointless to move me so close to my ETS as the job I will be filling will need to be filled again in a year.

I would like to conclude that the Army has treated me very well and I would not trade this time for anything its just time for me to pursue my business.

Thank you again for your help in this matter.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 12 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Infantry4life
posted Hide Post
I work with a soldier in a similar situation, not owning a business or anything, but was 13-14 months from ETS and had some reasons why not PCS'ing would benefit him more and what not.

He did the DEC statement and it got approved so he has no PCS to deal with. And your right, it barred him from re-enlistment and favorable action. He's been told he'll get a honorable discharge. It will bar you from coming back in for a little bit, I think about 6 months after you PCS, then you can come back in if you choose to.

Go talk to someone at LEVY or your COC they may know more than I do. Just keep in mind DA can deny your DEC statement and you'll have to PCS, but that shouldn't happen.

Trust me, I'm a Recruiter!

Posts: 165 | Location: USAREC Dearborn | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black 5:
The question I have is can I sign a declination statement before or near my report date and stay at my current unit till my ETS? I know it will bar me from reenlistment as well as favorable action but will it keep me from coming back in at a later date if my situation changes down the line? Will it keep me from getting a honorable discharge? Will the army simply assign me to a new duty station or will I then be short enough where they need to ETS me where I am?

Once notified of the assignment, you have 30 days to take action; reenlist or sign the DCSS. You cannot wait until your report date to sign the DCSS, if you do not take action; the DCSS will be completed without your signature, there is a refusal to sign box on the DA Form 4991 (DCSS). Your Career Counselor simply checks the box, then signs along with a witness and your Commander or 1SG.

The DCSS is not a BAR, its just a notification that you've made a decision not to accept the assignment and ETS from the Army. It does not block favorable actions, only your promtion status if promotable. You are still entitled to an honorable discharge since you're completing your term of service and you still receive all benefits entitled to you. However, by signing the DCSS; if you want to come back in, you have to wait 93 days.

In order for you to move you need 24 months upon arrival at the new duty station, by signing the DCSS; you will still have 14 months remaining to ETS, you can still be placed on a short tour like Korea. If your MOS is needed at the new duty station, HRC can waive it to 12 months also and still PCS you with the DCSS in place.

Keep in mind, the DCSS does not go to HRC for approval. Once you sign or not, your servicing Career Counselor changes your ERUP code to "9Q" and the DCSS is in place and distribution is made. Normally your branch will see the 9Q code and delete your assignment, but since you have more than 12 months; you can still complete a short tour.

Posts: 681 | Location: ARMY WIDE | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying however I have not even been told that I need to sign a Dec statement yet. I will be coming back from my deployment in a few weeks and I have a briefing in about a month.

Should I expect the dec statement to come up at that briefing? No one has even mentioned that I would have to extend yet as Bragg is not a short tour to my knowledge.

posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I did get a email saying that I would have to sign a Acceptance or Declination of jump status. I don’t know if that has any bearing on this or not.

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand what you are saying however I have not even been told that I need to sign a Dec statement yet. I will be coming back from my deployment in a few weeks and I have a briefing in about a month.

Should I expect the dec statement to come up at that briefing? No one has even mentioned that I would have to extend yet as Bragg is not a short tour to my knowledge.
If your briefing is at the reassignments section, they will tell you about the DCSS. You need 24 months to PCS to Bragg, since you are in your window there is no extension. Reenlist or DCSS.

quote:
I forgot to mention that I did get a email saying that I would have to sign a Acceptance or Declination of jump status. I don’t know if that has any bearing on this or not.
Are you Airborne? Bragg has non-Airborne units also.

Posts: 681 | Location: ARMY WIDE | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was just told that you can not sign a dec statement if you are on DA orders. Is there any truth to that or another bit of misinformation?

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just told that you can not sign a dec statement if you are on DA orders. Is there any truth to that or another bit of misinformation?
You cannot sign a DCSS if you have enough time to complete the tour, if your an initial term Soldier, or if you are not eligible for reenlistment (i.e., flagged and cannot reenlist to meet an SRR).

posted Hide Post
Does the code 9Q prevent you from any favorable action such as a college drop?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 12 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Armyguy2869:
Does the code 9Q prevent you from any favorable action such as a college drop?
A 9Q code basically just tells the Army that you plan on ETSing and have no desire to reenlist. You're placed in a non-promotable status, prohibited from reenlistment or extension, and prohibited from application, selection, or attendance to any Warrant/Officer producing school. You can request a voluntary separation under the provisions of paragraph 16-4b, AR 635-200.

posted Hide Post
The DCSS is not a BAR, its just a notification that you've made a decision not to accept the assignment and ETS from the Army. It does not block favorable actions, only your promtion status if promotable. You are still entitled to an honorable discharge since you're completing your term of service and you still receive all benefits entitled to you.

This is awesome this is the info I was looking for! JMW3CC do you know where I can find what you said in writing? Cause my chain of command wont take this forums post word for it.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 12 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JMW3CC
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is awesome this is the info I was looking for! JMW3CC do you know where I can find what you said in writing? Cause my chain of command wont take this forums post word for it.
It's all on the Declination of Continued Service Statement (DCSS - DA Form 4991-R) or AR 601-280, Chap. 4 Section II, para. 4-11.

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for all of the information that was posted here. I am in the same boat. Helped me make my decision easier.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post