ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Reenlistment Forum  Hop To Forums  Reenlistment    Changing MOS at 6 months
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing MOS at 6 months
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

My son recently enlisted with an 11X MOS, which we feel is a solid entry point for him. He will be shipping out for BCT/AIT in Feb 2010.

We have also been told that after he has been on active duty for 6 months that he can change his MOS by reenlisting. His primary reason for reenlisting would be to pick an MOS in a career that interests him, probably in Field 14, 15, 21, 25, etc.

We have several questions about how to navigate this process. We have heard that we should "start the paper work now" even though its an event that is probably more than a year away from now. We also would like to know how easy or difficult it is to make the switch, what are the pitfalls to watch out for, how competitive are the openings, what is the best way to research the MOS that is best for him, etc.

Any information you can give me is most appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of willhorizontal
posted Hide Post
I think you should start off by letting go of your son. Its time for him to experience life and make choices without his "mommy". What you seem to not understand is that it is his career. Not yours. Just let him go.

Posts: 131 | Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Whatever will.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say it at all.

Note that we are researching it together, but then you probably didn't have any parents that cared about you so I probably shouldn't criticize somebody as unfortunate as you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If he is in his re-enlistment window, he can re-enlist for Option 3 Army Training.

You have to look at the in/out calls for his MOS to make sure he is Balanced N/N or Over N/Y for his rank.

It is easier to change mos earlier in your Army career than to change later, like myself. There is also a program called BEAR where you extend for the school then when you complete the school you re-enlist an get a bonus on top of that.

Your son, needs to ask his squad leader to see the "Retention NCO". His squad leader will set him up a time or take himself.

Another you must look at is how fast you can make rank. Being in the infantry you can make rank quickly 20 months he can be an E-5 4 Years an E-6.

But it is all up to him, let him make the decisions he is the one that has to put up with all the bullcrap the Army can place on a new solider.

Good Luck

Posts: 9 | Location: Fort Hood | Registered: 20 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Black
posted Hide Post
How many years did your son reenlist for? Send a PM, and we can go into further detail.

Posts: 314 | Location: Iraq | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post