ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Officer Business  Hop To Forums  Warrant Officer Discussion    I want to become a Warrant Officer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to become a Warrant Officer
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm new here. My question is, "What should I start doing now to become a Warrant Officer (Signal)?"

I currently have an associate degree in Graphic Web Design and working on a bachelors.

I am a 25B and an E-4.

Currently working on my 2nd year in the army.

I know I need at least 4 years experience, but I also know there is a lot of "waivers" one can get.

My re-enlistment window opens up after next year, can I used that to possibly help go to Warrant Officer school?

Lastly, how long is Signal Warrant Officer school?

I know it a lot, please don't slam me for repeated questions. Just been doing a lot of thinking about my future with the Army lately.

I appreciate any help I can get.

"Living the dream, avoiding the nightmare and becoming the fantasy..."

Posts: 3 | Location: Ft. Meade | Registered: 09 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Last question depends on which MOS.
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

You'll notice that there are three MOS listed, but 251A and 254A are being merged into 255A. 250N is becoming 255N and is basically unchanged. 255S is computer security and you can only get in as a CW2 promotable or higher.

255A is a better match for your current job but there were several 25B Soldiers in my 255N class earlier this year. The 255N course is about 6 months, the 255A is about 6-8 weeks longer.

Most of my class (20 Warrant Officers) were SGT or SSG with several years NCO experience, the youngest had 7years in the Army. The majority had 9-10 years of Army service.

You need to seek out leadership positions, although a WO is a technician, all Officers (NCO, WO or the "O-grade") are leaders. Get promoted to SGT as fast as you can and gain experience teaching, training, motivating, inspiring other Soldiers.

Work on technical certifications and that degree. They will help show your technical expertise on the WO resume.

Good luck!
WO1 255N

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
I'm submitting my packet in January. I can tell you to go try to knock out the physical now, it will probably take awhile to get an appointment.

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." - Eisenhower

Posts: 480 | Location: Around the world.... | Registered: 15 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I really appreciate both your help with situation.

I keep getting told that it doesn't matter if your a sgt or not. I could get a waiver for it.

Please don't get me wrong, while I know I can be a Sgt, I rather be an officer. I have personal reasons why I don't want the sgt rank.

I'm just trying to get a path going for my future in the army. I won't stay if it doesn't look like I have a shot at warrant officer.

"Living the dream, avoiding the nightmare and becoming the fantasy..."

Posts: 3 | Location: Ft. Meade | Registered: 09 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OG MCNEEZEY:

Please don't get me wrong, while I know I can be a Sgt, I rather be an officer. I have personal reasons why I don't want the sgt rank.

WHAT ON EARTH do you think the difference is between NCO and WO??

I know that waivers for non-NCO are possible, but don't plan on it. It's very likely that the Branch Proponent, (CW5 Boudreau right now, a former Signal NCO) would not even OK your packet to go to the promotion board.

You NEED the NCO experience to be a WO.
There was a NG SPC who was in my WO class, he was super experienced on the civilian IT side but totally ate up as a Soldier. We'll see how that works out for him....

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How do you have personal reasons to not be a SGT. Yet want to be a Warrant Officer? What do you think Warrant's don't lead? you do realize you need to have leadership qualities on top of your technical knowledge.

And most MOS's like to look at your NCOER's to see what type of NCO you are. Who ever told you that it doesn't matter if you are an NCO or not was right. If they were only thinking about you being a rotary wing aviator.

Think about it. If you were to send your packet to a board with 25 other people what set's you apart from them? what experiences do you have? how can the board see what type of leader you are?

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A couple of things to point out. 1. Are there waivers for the 3 years of documented NCO experiance? Yes, but that doesn't mean that the waiver is for all NCO experiance. 2. For most waivers, they are up to the branch. I forget the exact numbers but for the last WO selection board I believe that there were 3 applications for every 1 that was selected. All of these people met the min qualifications (i.e. NCO experiance). With that kind of pool to choose from, why would they even consider putting someone who doesn't even meet the min standard into the pool. 3. I was at about 7.5 years when I was selected (and I was on the "young" end of my class). I can tell you that as a WO you use the skills that you learned as an NCO every day of the week. As a WO, you are an officer, an NCO, and a Soldier all roled into 1. If you are serious about being a WO (and realize that the vast majority of technical WOs are going to stick around and retire), then go to the board, get your stripes, learn how to lead, learn how to do your job, learn how to be the best at your job, and then put in your WO packet so you can learn to be the expert at not only your job, but everyone else's job.

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 593 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Mr. Ward and KingofMinot2 said.

WO1 William Douglass
250N, Bde Network Technician

posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's just me, but when I see a WO I think of someone who was probably an E6/E7 who is an absolute SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT on his/her career field. Why do you think we call them "crusty warrants"? It's because they pretty much have seen and know everything about their job and the Army: think "highly experienced."
Now why on EARTH would you want to be a warrant in charge of SSG's and SFC's when you yourself have minimal Army experience, and have never even worn stripes?
If you want a quick commission without going into the NCO corps, just try to get into OCS, but it sounds like you severely misunderstand the WO corps. Or maybe I do, who knows.

Posts: 82 | Registered: 11 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Honestly I don't have issues with someone not being an NCO to be a pilot.

But as Mr. Ward pointed out, the technical Warrant uses their NCO experience EVERY DAY at work. The Signal Warrant is a 'consultant' of sorts, but expected to be the go-to guy to fix problems.

That doesn't mean you just have to know systems, you also have to know what to tell the Commander needs done and plan for it. Could other NCOs do this? Maybe.

But it's a staff-type job, where you're going to meetings and involved in planning at an Officer level. Thus the job merits more money, respect, and authority behind the WOs statements.

WOs started out being the EXPERTS on British ships, because the Officers were noblemen just getting their commission because of political reasons. They hadn't a clue about how to sail. So the senior NCOs were "warranted" being Officers but the British system didn't have an "OCS"..

Same in the US Army now, the technical WO must have the experience in leading (sailors) troops in order to guide and give advice to the (boat) unit's leaders.

posted Hide Post
@Autobahn, I did not know that history of the warrant. But yes it makes perfect since for All Warrants to have exp as an actual leader. An aviator is different as I don't like to say it but they are in a way nothing more then a bus driver or truck driver (yes there bus/truck takes great skill, time, training to do) but what's more important is not really there general leadership knowledge but there knowledge of there acft.

Just imagine a PBO Warrant or a Signal Warrant sitting in a BCT S-4 or Division G-4. That guy has to have working knowledge of everything involving logistics/signal from his level down to PFC Snuffy in the supply room. And you aren't going to attain that working day to day knowledge without exp.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
I was, and still am, debating on whether or not to go signal warrant or stay enlisted as signal. I've only been in for four years and am waiting to go to the E-5 board.

I wasn't planning on going warrant for another 4+ years and min rank of SSG, anyway.

All of the insight on warrant has helped me better understand what a warrant officer is. I made friends with a now CW2 when I was deployed but never thought about asking him how to become one.

I know the question wasn't for me, but thanks anyway. Like I said, I haven't decided whether or not to stay or drop my packet in the future.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sysalis:
I was, and still am, debating on whether or not to go signal warrant or stay enlisted as signal. I've only been in for four years and am waiting to go to the E-5 board.

I know the question wasn't for me, but thanks anyway. Like I said, I haven't decided whether or not to stay or drop my packet in the future.

If you plan on staying in the Army I highly recommend Warrant. Pay and benefits are better, first thing.

And as you progress up the NCO chain you have less to do with signal equipment. Do you think the 1SG of a signal company ever has time to work on routers/computers/etc...? How about a CSM?

I enjoy tinkering and I get to do still as a Warrant. I have to understand the equipment to teach Soldiers, fix it, and advise higher about it.

The hands-on time will eventually cut down as you get promoted, but many of the instructors at Warrant Officer Basic (like enlisted AIT), were CW3. They definitely knew their stuff! We did hands-on every day, and they had years of experience. Plus tons of certifications and schools.

So if you enjoy leading Soldiers, you'll get more time doing that as an NCO.
If you are a geek like me, go Warrant. Smiler

posted Hide Post
I know im jumping into the bandwagon late, but I have a few questions myself. I have been told to ask any Warrant in the career field you want to go into (250N) and they will generally know if they are hurting for Warrant Officers in that particular field. I just reclassed to 25N about 1 1/2 years ago, and got my 5 a year ago. I know I still have a couple years before I can drop my packet, but my questions are:
1. How is the WO side looking? They were hurting for them a couple years ago (it was all over the news) but are they leveled out now?
2. Im working towards a Bachelors in IT, as well as some certifications (CCNA, SEC+, A+) Is there anything else you can suggest I add to my resume to help me stand out? I joined the Army so I could one day become a WO. I don't want to give them any reason to say no.
3. Is it looked down upon if I drop my packet once I hit the minimum requirements? By then I should have around 7-8 Years TIS, 3 years TIG, and hopefully some more experience if I get to do my job at my next unit at Ft. Carson.
4. How extensive of an IT background should you generally have? Before I reclassed to 25N, I had absolutely no experience. I am currently deployed to Iraq, and it seems I have done every signal job BUT my own (CPN Team, TCF, Company Operations) Other than what I learned in AIT, and what im doing in school, I have no other experience. Is that going to hurt me in the long run?
I appreciate any help you give. I am looking forward to the day I get accepted. I have nothing but the utmost respect for WO's, and look forward to being looked at the same way by others.

Pride is both mans glory and destruction

Posts: 8 | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
I wrote a response from my civilian email account, but it might not have gone through...

1- The May2011 board 100% who applied were accpeted. Jan2011 was not so good, there were still less than 10 rejected and 25 accessed.

2- If you have CCNA and Sec+ you're more technically qualified (on paper) than a 250N leaving WOBC. Wink The IT degree would look outstanding as well, but any classes taken in IT will set you above many other applicants.

3- No, when I applied several SGT-types were accepted but the majority were SSG. I noticed there were more SFC the last few boards applying for Signal WO, so maybe it's getting more competitive.

4- To me, the more signal experience the better. Being stuck in one job would actually hinder you- although equipment is different wherever you are, the basic troubleshooting and concepts are the same. Try to remain in TECHNICAL jobs. A highly qualified CPN operator would make a good 250N. (I had no JNN or CPN experience before WOBC.)

go to hrc.army.mil and find "MILPER Messages". Use CTRL-F for "Warrant Officer".
SIGNAL WO selection boards are in Jan, May, Sep. You can look at past results and see the numbers..