Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOFT Packet
 Login/Join

posted
My name is Eric, I am 21 years old and currently in the process of completing my WOFT packet. I am a civilian with no prior service. I am currently a full-time Firefighter/Paramedic. I love the job but I am looking for something more.

I have always been interested in aviation but have not had the funds to attend schooling for a private license. I had the opportunity to sit left seat with a retired CW4 flying an air medical transport. I took the ASVAB test about 2 weeks ago and scored an AFQT of 82 and a GT of 122. I am scheduled to take the AFAST next Tuesday. I am here to read the forums and take in some information.

Would anybody be willing to help me with my resume? My recruiter forwarded me an example resume, but it is for prior-service and of course I cannot fill out all the "Military education and experience sections". If anybody is willing to help I can send you my resume. I still have some tweaking and modifications to do and I know punctuation is a must. I always try to be punctual, but in cases like this I tend to miss my mistakes if anybody would like to proof read and offer some insight.

I told the recruiter that I have no past experience for the MOS I am looking to obtain but I have skills and experiences that I believe would help me be a competitive candidate for WOFT

Thanks,
Eric

Posts: 16 | Location: IL | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Good luck- it's competitive to get in, don't get discouraged though! Read the other threads about going flight, common theme seems to be really really study for the AFAST test. Wait until you are really really ready!

On the Resume, skip the military education. On the experience and prior jobs, focus on Leadership, reaction under stress, mental agility/endurance, etc...

I'd be happy to look it over after you're mostly complete, PM me.

Again, don't get discouraged, keep working to get what you want to do!

-Will
Signal CW2

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will finish up the resume and send it to you by tomorrow. One thing I did try to focus the resume around was past experience and stressful environments. I also completely re-wrote the resume and combined my personal resume and the format of the resume the recruiter sent me.

Getting nervous about the AFAST, my recruiter said the same thing. I finally think I am ready for it!

Thank you for your willingness to help! This forum has kept me very informed through the whole process, almost as much as the recruiter!

Posts: 16 | Location: IL | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of atp
posted Hide Post
DO NOT TAKE the AFAST without taking the full practice exam. I am an Aviation Lieutenant about to go to Rucker for flight school. I only did well because I took the practice exam seriously.

I got 97 on my AQFT and my GT is 133. AFAST was not easy for me.

Posts: 175 | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atp:

FANTASTIC signature line Sir! Big Grin

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ATP are you refering to the practice exam in a study book? I have been using the Peterson military flight aptitude tests book, which covers the AFOQT, AFAST and ASTB. I am also using the FAA Rotorcraft handbook for most of the helicopter knowledge.

Is there a study test that the recruiter can administer?

Picture of atp
posted Hide Post
TY, Auto.

Yes, Peterson's practice exam. But looks like you are on top of it. Good luck.

Posts: 175 | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FYI
I was just on the Warrant officer site yesturday and theres a note that the AFAST will not be accepted after 1 Oct. The new test is the SIFT.

•11 July 2012 - The Aviation Branch has developed a replacement for the Alternate Flight Aptitude Selection Test (AFAST). The new test is the Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT), and will be implemented on 1 October 2012. In order to facilitate this transition to the SIFT, 153A will not select on the Nov selection board, the first Accessions Board that will select 153A packets will be January 2013. This will give individuals enough time to report to a testing facility and take the SIFT for inclusion in their packet.
Any Warrant Officer packets for MOS 153A, Rotary Wing Aviator, MUST have a qualifying SIFT score in their packet after 1 October 2012. If a Warrant Officer packet is determined by USAREC to be "Board Ready" prior to 1 October 2012, an AFAST score will still be accepted. Any packet that is submitted after 1 October 2012 with an AFAST score will be returned to the individual, with the instructions to take the SIFT and re-submit their packet with a SIFT score.

Any questions regarding this transition from AFAST to SIFT can be directed to the Aviation Branch Proponent office, at (334)255-1420, or brad.r.cook.mil@mail.mil.

Posts: 205 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
alaskaviper,

Thanks for the heads up, I read into this also and gave my recruiter a call to verify. Unfortunately he said they have not heard anything, or looked into it. So with that being said... I am still scheduled to take the AFAST test on this Tuesday. I was hoping to go to the November boards though it does not look like that will be happening. I will discuss it further with my recruiter or given that number a call

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FireMedic142,

posted Hide Post
I took the AFAST this morning and scored a 130 on it so it looks like I am continuing my application process. I will be taking the flight physical next. The recruiter still denies knowing any thing about switching to the SIFT test as of October 1st. Everyone at MEPs testing station had no idea what was going on when it comes to the AFAST, it is obvious they do not get many applicants or testers through Chicago MEPs for WOFT

posted Hide Post
No new info yet, still waiting to get a date set for the flight physical from the recruiter. I was at a gun store the other day and there is this older guy I have bought a lot of firearms, cleaning supplies, and ammunition from. We got to talking and I found out that he is a retired WO. I have talked to him quite a bit but he had never told me that. He is going to talk with me a little bit about the program and potentially write me a LOR. I think I should have some competitive letters at the board. I have one from a CW4, CW3, a close friend who is also the district attorney of the county, an Ex-speaker of the house, an Ex-AF aviator, and a brother in-law who has written me letters before and writes the best LOR I have ever used.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FireMedic142:
I took the AFAST this morning and scored a 130 on it so it looks like I am continuing my application process. I will be taking the flight physical next. The recruiter still denies knowing any thing about switching to the SIFT test as of October 1st. Everyone at MEPs testing station had no idea what was going on when it comes to the AFAST, it is obvious they do not get many applicants or testers through Chicago MEPs for WOFT

They really don't get many anywhere. Most are ALREADY in the Army.

Posts: 2601 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FireMedic142:
No new info yet, still waiting to get a date set for the flight physical from the recruiter. I was at a gun store the other day and there is this older guy I have bought a lot of firearms, cleaning supplies, and ammunition from. We got to talking and I found out that he is a retired WO. I have talked to him quite a bit but he had never told me that. He is going to talk with me a little bit about the program and potentially write me a LOR. I think I should have some competitive letters at the board. I have one from a CW4, CW3, a close friend who is also the district attorney of the county, an Ex-speaker of the house, an Ex-AF aviator, and a brother in-law who has written me letters before and writes the best LOR I have ever used.

Dont over do the LORs. Just submit three that are the best and most reputable. If you had only one from Jesus Christ; you would not require anymore.

Posts: 1630 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is what they were telling me that they do not have a lot of applicants. The last time Chicago MEPS had an applicant take the AFAST was about 6 months ago.

I wish I had a LOR from Jesus himself. I would imagine this would be much easier.. the rest will have to do.

Any recommendation on what to wear for the Board? I was assuming since my recruiter stated that their prior service applicants wear a Military Class A uniform which I do not have, should I keep business formal? Wear a nice black suit?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Sorry about the delay, finally emailed you back on the Resume.