New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOCS grads, HELP!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,

I have just been selected for WOCS this week, and would like to get as much headstart as possible. I've been researching for a while, but most forum threads either are outdated or cover questions about the WO packet rather than WOCS.

I apologize in advance if I duplicate someone else's questions that are answered elsewhere. Anyway, as of right now, this is what I would like to know:

1. How soon can I expect to know the class date and, more importantly, class number? If I understand correctly, I would have to wait for about 3 months to find out both via email.
2. It seems that I have to wait for the class number in order to register on WO Net. Is that correct, or can I register without one and start networking now?
3. How and when do I register for the 911-09W (DL) class? ATRRS webpage for this class doesn't seem to have a link to register. Should I use the Blackboard link on WOCC website? I don't want to mess anything up. Also, do I take this class through Blackboard or ALMS?
4. How important is MSAF? I am junior enlisted and have no "subordinates" to provide feedback.
5. Are there any other courses/assessments, in addition to 911-09W (DL) and MSAF, that I am supposed to take prior to reporting to Ft. Rucker?
6. What is the standard for Security Clearance Verification? I've come across conflicting information. Some sources say you need a printout from JPAS, others talk about some "verification" different from the printout. Somewhere else they mentioned DD Form 873. The WOCS Orientation Packet just says "HHC Cadre will verify ... that each candidate has [Secret security clearance]." Does anyone know which document I will actually need?

Any help is most appreciated, especially if you graduated within the last year or so. I do have more questions, but I'll save them for later.

Thank you.

Posts: 64 | Registered: 19 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
First of all; congratulations and welcome. By your post, it appears you were selected for WOFT and good luck with that.

I was selected in May 2007 and did not start WOCS until March 2008 and actually PCSed for it in Jan 2008. I was based in Germany at that time and was told by many that was a long gap between acceptance and school date. I have knew others that left for WOCS three months after getting selected. So understand that my responses are based on my experience. Other Chiefs will chime in on this post.

1. Be patient for the email and it will come. Mine came with all the selectees on the distro welcoming us. I was selected into Signal and received the email from the Regimental Signal Chief and I think the General from Fort Gordon as well. I do not remember.

2. Then I received the emails about the blackboard enrollment for the DL portion. Wait for that as well. The instructions are very well clear.

3. You will receive RFO (request for orders) for your WOCS and WOBC portion. When you get those; bring them to your S1 to get your orders processed.

4. You can go to your S2 and get your JPAS printout and ensure that your clearance shows on your "ERB". That JPAS printout and ERB document will suffice. Your CADRE will just want the JPAS printout. Keep that JPAS in your "I love me" book.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JC351LPP4
posted Hide Post
1. I got my class dates (for WOCS and WOBC) approximately 30 days after selection. My follow-on assignment information came about two months after that.
2. You need your class number because it will give you access to a forum for just your class. be patient, it will come.
3. I dont quite remember how this worked. I think I got a notification email to go and register. I wouldn't sweat this one too much, it's fairly similar to most other DL Army Courses that you've probably taken.
4. The MSAF is used by your TACS for leadership assessment and counseling. If you are junior enlisted, I would recommend putting lower-ranking Soldiers in there (e.g. If you are an E-3, put E-2s and E-1s in there) Send the MSAF to as many people as possible, you need 13 to finish it, but only a fraction of the people you send this to will actually complete it.
5. You could always read the WOCSOP. If you are really trying to get ahead of the curve, you could complete the Action Officer Development Course, which you will need to complete prior to WOAC.
6. When I attended WOCS (March 2011). I did not need to bring anything for Security Clearance Verification. I assume that their security office just did a JPAS verification (they did pull me under their SMO Code).
Congratulations, and best of luck.

Posts: 344 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 01 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!

1- I was selected May 2009, got a classdate in July for October WOCS and January WOBC.

Be patient on 2-3. You'll get notice.

4- Agree that you should send it to way more people than required. Send it to those same and lower ranked than you, as well as your supervisors and others who work with you. Subordinates culd be whoever looks up to you as a leader/mentor, even if they're the same paygrade.

5- Study the WOCSOP. You're going to hear this a million times and you still won't have read it enough. Wink

6- The office at Rucker can pull whatever paperwork they need to. Just check with your S-2 that it's good, agree with saving a JPAS copy.

-------------------------------

ALSO
Start saving money! From class t-shirts ("not mandatory" (but really is)) to coins to eating on the staffride to uniform alterations to whatever, it's expensive! Much of it has to be paid in cash, so you can't just charge it all expecting to pay it back after your promotion. Some call it "the Thousand Dollar Dot"- and that's not that far from the truth!!

Get in shape! The course is challenging, the better shape you're in the less physically worn out you'll be, the better you can handle the stress and non-stop rush.

Become a PVT. Seriously, first thing after reception is over (and you actually move to training) you'll have your civilian clothes and phone locked away. You have to ask permission for any little thing in life. No talking in the chowhall. Told when to go to bed, when to wake up, when to do EVERYTHING. Can't have soda or coffee until the class earns it, a memo is written and approved by cadre, etc...
--It's not worse than basic training but it's a shock to go back to that kind of living after you've been to Permanent Party.

Check your ego at the door. Everything at WOCS happens for a purpose- to mold you into an Officer. Much of the stress is from your fellow Candidates. Be ready to lead when it's your turn, follow when it's not. Be nice to everyone no matter what, Army schools seem to turn everyone back into Highschoolers. Let the dumb/mean stuff just roll off your back.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your selection for WOCS.
I too and very excited because I was also picked up on last weeks board. Just like you I really want to get a running start on being prepared for the class. The biggest thing that worries me is getting the follow on assignment. I went the 255N route and I know that signal warrants don't get their assignments till we complete WOBC.

I will defiantly be following AutobahnSHO's advice and start reading the WOCSOP and working on getting in better shape.

WOC Fry

Posts: 17 | Location: JBAB | Registered: 16 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
I'm a 255N, we got preliminary assignments about halfway through WOBC- because they were still transitioning from TDY to PCS for WOBC.

Then the branch manager was switching out- I called a few months out to make sure my assignment had been changed- (EFMP). I didn't like what they gave me then so a classmate switched with me before the actual RFOs were cut..

I was cleaning the closet and found an old PT card- I got a 283 right before heading to WOCS. PT is hard there, I didn't struggle that much like some of the others.
(Don't laugh if they're "helping mold you" and others around you are hurting. Smiler The TAC Officers see it and just "mold" you some more. Big Grin )

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, the unforgetable WOCSOP. Funny, I read it from front to back more than a few times but it never comes clear until you experiencing it at WOCS. E.g. quiet study hours; probation and walking the line, the grove, saluting the shadow. How to use the 8x10 cards. Amazing. Somebody should posts those links.

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
Oh yes, the unforgetable WOCSOP. Funny, I read it from front to back more than a few times but it never comes clear until you experiencing it at WOCS. E.g. quiet study hours; probation and walking the line, the grove, saluting the shadow. How to use the 8x10 cards. Amazing. Somebody should posts those links.

You could make a book about "how to survive WOCS" and make a million dollars- but a month later they would change everything around.

We had someone leave their class on emergency leave and come back to join our class. All the "hints" she had picked up got us into trouble. Someone had done the orienteering course before, told us some tricky ways to make it easier, so the TAC Officers specifically made those things against the rules.. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
WOW. Thanks to everyone for such a quick response! Smiler I didn't expect so many responses at once, but the more the better!

I'll reply to each of you individually, but I just wanted to clarify something first. I apologize if my initial post came across as in any way "inpatient". I simply tried to be proactive, because I sort of got burned when I took one step at a time with my WO packet. There were some things that I should have (and I wish I have) known before hand, because in the end they cost me a few months of delay in submitting my application. Frowner

In any case, I learned my lesson back then, so just trying to make sure something like that doesn't happen again. Smiler (Even if that means being "fed with a fire hose" with information, as my CW4 told me. Wink )

posted Hide Post
TheWiseChief,

Thank you for your input, Sir! I wonder if your OCONUS assignment affected the WOCS start date. I am currently OCONUS myself, but I hope to go to Ft. Rucker sooner rather than later.

quote:
That JPAS printout and ERB document will suffice.

Easy enough. Thank you for explaining this! Smiler I will definitely get a new JPAS printout closer to the class date. My ERB already says "PSI Status: SECRET."

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
No problem candidate. Again, follow the instructions on your RFI. I was an MP in Heidelberg when I got selected and my 1SG interpreted the RFI incorrectly when it came to my 1610. I went to Fort Gordon before Rucker thinking I needed to get my family settled there first and that was incorrect. Your PCS move is contingent on you graduating from WOCS first. Anyway, you are right about the OCONUS assumption and in my case, I was selected three months into my OCONUS tour lol

posted Hide Post
JC351LP, I appreciate you sharing your experience.

quote:
3. I dont quite remember how this worked. I think I got a notification email to go and register. I wouldn't sweat this one too much, it's fairly similar to most other DL Army Courses that you've probably taken.

Then I'll wait. With some other DL courses I've taken (SSD, Hazmat, SERE, etc.) I usually had to take initiative and register myself as early as possible, so I was wondering if it's the same with the WOCS DL course. I guess not. Smiler I just don't want to leave it for the last minute.

quote:
4. The MSAF is used by your TACS for leadership assessment and counseling. If you are junior enlisted, I would recommend putting lower-ranking Soldiers in there (e.g. If you are an E-3, put E-2s and E-1s in there)

I'll see what I can do, Sir. BTW the reason I asked about MSAF in the first place is that I've read on another thread that while it is good to have it completed, you can do without it just as well.

quote:
5. You could always read the WOCSOP. If you are really trying to get ahead of the curve, you could complete the Action Officer Development Course, which you will need to complete prior to WOAC.

Isn't AODC for CW2 and above? I still wouldn't mind taking it. I just don't mean to jump too far ahead, you know? Smiler

Again, thank you for participating.

posted Hide Post
AutobahnSHO,

Thanks for coming in, Chief. Smiler I'm glad to see you here. I've read your replies on other threads as well. It is really nice of you to contribute so much to the community.

quote:
4- Agree that you should send it to way more people than required. Send it to those same and lower ranked than you, as well as your supervisors and others who work with you. Subordinates could be whoever looks up to you as a leader/mentor, even if they're the same paygrade.

Good point. I have thought about that before, but wanted to double check with someone who already did MSAF before. I'm not in a team leader position at this time, but I'll get people to vouch for me as a leader/mentor.

Again, you're on point about money, PT, and attitude. The orientation packet says I should expect to spend $300-400. What was your experience (and anyone else's reading this)? As far as PT goes, I am not a "stud" but I always give my best effort. Since graduating basic, haven't gone below 250 on APFT, except when I got injured. I do have to work on being faster though. Razzer

I agree on importance of the right attitude and putting things into perspective. I didn't like it at all how so many people in basic couldn't come together as a team and be mature, respectful, and professional. It seems WOCS should be better in that regard, since candidates selected generally stand out from the rest in terms of work attitude, performance, and competency. I do agree with your comment that "Army schools seem to turn everyone back into Highschoolers", though. Smiler

BTW I might end up in Ft. Campbell after WOBC, too. It was one of my duty station choices on DA 160-R.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drz01db3rg:
Congratulations on your selection for WOCS.
I too and very excited because I was also picked up on last weeks board. Just like you I really want to get a running start on being prepared for the class. The biggest thing that worries me is getting the follow on assignment. I went the 255N route and I know that signal warrants don't get their assignments till we complete WOBC.

I will defiantly be following AutobahnSHO's advice and start reading the WOCSOP and working on getting in better shape.

I'm glad to hear you got selected too. Looks like you're on the same page as me. Smiler I already started reading the SOP. Gonna make sure I've gone through it several times before I get to Rucker.

I look forward to getting my class number and date and starting to network with my fellow classmates. The DL course should be fun, too.

Will you let me know your class number once you get it, please?

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strider128:
Again, you're on point about money, PT, and attitude. The orientation packet says I should expect to spend $300-400. What was your experience (and anyone else's reading this)?

I would say I spent double that. Didn't HAVE to get the class sweatshirt (but I did), and wish I'd bought more class coins (got 4), $80 to modify my class A uniform for Officer, supplies for marking my clothing, $100+ for laundry (just didn't want to try to do it myself), etc... all adds up. !

quote:

... I didn't like it at all how so many people in basic couldn't come together as a team and be mature, respectful, and professional. It seems WOCS should be better in that regard, since candidates selected generally stand out from the rest in terms of work attitude, performance, and competency.

You'd be surprised. Mad I was disappointed at PLDC (now WLC), BNCOC (now ALC), AND WOCS at how immature many "wannabe leaders" act. Oh well, I do my thing, they'll do theirs..