Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIFT Aptitude Test
 Login/Join

posted
Looking to study for the SIFT but am left with little direction to study for it, any suggestions outside of this link(?):
http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...load/SIFT%20FAQ.docx

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
http://helicopterforum.vertica...is-primed-and-ready/

Get you a mug of coffee before you start reading...People actually begin posting direct feedback by about page 10. Enjoy.

Cliffnotes: Read the FAA Rotorcraft Manual.
Study your college algebra.
Know of what each section consists.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11b2AV
posted Hide Post
Well, this worked out for me so I figure I'll share what helped. I searched in vain for some good advice before taking the SIFT myself, so maybe this will help someone else out.

First, download the SIFT FAQ from the USAREC WO Recruiting website.

Take a look at all of the different subtests.

Go to http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...d/militaryflight.pdf and download the PDF.

Every subtest on the SIFT (except for the Army Aviation Information Test) can be found in the military flight study guide from the link above. Most of them come from different branch study guides but the material is the same.

For the Army Aviation Information Test your best resource is the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook that can be found here http://www.faa.gov/regulations...ia/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

What I did was print out each subtest study guide and practice tests and created a study binder.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time studying the FAA Handbook and I'm sure I bombed that part of the test but I still made out with a 62 on the SIFT, which was good enough to get me Selected for 153A during the May 2013 board.

My best advice is don't overthink it, schedule the test when you are comfortable taking it. I didn't study much at all, maybe 10 hours total in the 2 weeks before I took the test. I don't have any background knowledge of helicopters or aviation. I have an Infantry background.

In my opinion the worst thing you can do is never take the test because you are worried you won't pass it. Definitely take it seriously and study as much as you deem necessary, but don't sideline your goals because you are nervous about the test.

Good luck.

Posts: 39 | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Welcome to the family.

Posts: 1687 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 11bINF:
Selected for 153A during the May 2013 board.

CONGRATS!!! Big Grin

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5282 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you! Excited to take the test and looking forward to the long process of applying!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
11bINF
Congrats bro! I am currently working on getting is as a Rotary Aviator as well! 57 on my SIFT, I didn't study anything though, just went with a clear head. I did take the AFAST just for fun in December though, got a 109 on that one.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 08 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I see there hasn't been alot of traffic in a couple of months, but I have used the information in this forum to steer mu studying in the right direction. I take the SIFT tomorrow morning and I am pretty confident going in to it. Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters for the good information.

Posts: 2 | Location: Germany | Registered: 27 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good luck! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
FM 3-04.203 Fundamentals of Flight.

Has just about all the info you will need and is about 1/4 the size of the FAA Rotrcraft manual.

Also there is a DVD by ASA called something like "Itroduction to Helicopter Flight." It's really boring to watch, but only about 60-90 min long and has most of the information you need.

...this is just for avaition knowledge, other sections you can find in the old Flight Aptitude study guide that you can download for free on the usarec warrant site.

Posts: 35 | Location: Ft. Detrick, MD | Registered: 18 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<hoonjr2762>
posted
I am currently putting my packet together and ran into a speed bump....How did everyone find a CW3-CW5 for a LOR?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I got lucky. Just so happened the former CW5 over WOCS moved to Fort Gordon. I went to him for guidance on my packet and asked about a recommendation letter. He's signal so he put me in contact with a CW5 at Rucker. We did a couple phone interviews and he wrote me a letter. They said another option is to call to the nearest aviation post and see if you can get in contact with an aviation Warrant and ask if they would do a phone interview with you. That's what I did before I got lucky.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 09 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not sure if you are doing Aviation or not but that was my situation

posted Hide Post
I am still waiting on my medical....

They always tell me that Fort Rucker is taking too long or there is information missing.

I went to my local National Guard post and just asked for a CW3 - CW5 and explained that I was applying, I got one from a CW4 in 2 days time. Dress professionally, I personally went with a tie.

posted Hide Post
I tried that route but there is no Aviation Warrants in the Augusta Georgia area.