Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protocol
 Login/Join

posted
I recently had a discussion with a fellow Soldier over the phone about the proper way to address personnel with rank over the phone. What regulation covers the proper way to address NCO's?

Posts: 155 | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PowerTango
posted Hide Post
I'm going out on a limb, but I'll take a stab at AR 25-50. I found all the proper ways to address written correspondence, and right at the front of the AR it says you should use face to face meetings or telephone calls for correspondence when possible. I know it's in there somewhere, but I don't have time to hunt right now.

Posts: 79 | Location: Portsmouth, VA | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR 600-20.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cubicle Boy is right, AR 600-20 chapter 1-6 Military grade and rank, table 1-1 states what the form and address of each rank is. However there is no specification for face-to-face or phone. Best to stay formal.

Go Kinetic!

Posts: 99 | Location: Baghdad | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Assuming we are talking about using a government phone (such as one at a place of duty), there is no reason it would change any from being face to face with the same person.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yea, but isn't it the Air Force who addresses their SSG's as SSG's and not Sergeant like we do?

Posts: 155 | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Last I checked, the AF used 'sergeant' up till the Master sergeant rank. The Marines we worked with in Ramadi addressed their SSGs as 'staff sergeant'.

Go Kinetic!

Posts: 99 | Location: Baghdad | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
Marines call thier Staff Sergeants "Staff Sergeant". I had one as an instructor at a school and I kept forgetting.

If you know the person's rank, then common courtesy, not even Army courtesies, should prompt you to address them with thier rank.

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post