ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Armor    Desert Tanker Boots?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Tanker Boots?
 Login/Join

posted
I've been trying to research this topic from 670-1, and what I found out is that yes, black leather boots and the desert issued boots are allowed to be worn in accordance with the approval of the commander and as long as the boots are in accordance with CTA 50-900. Only problem is, I've been having hardcore trouble attempting to find an online publication for CTA 50-900. Israeli's have tanker boots and also I believe the german army has been issued them. If you get any word please reply. -Pyko19k

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When I graduated from Knox on Oct 1st, 2004, we were not issued the boots, but were able to buy them from the Military Clothing Store and wear them. Most of the TCs in the 1-81, 2-81 and 3-81 there wore them. I have no clue about the desert issue, never even saw a pair. I've been wearing my black ones, but I'm also ARNG, and well, you know all those rumors about use being ate up... they aren't always untrue. Heh. But my unit is highspeed and deployed (as 11Bs, unfortuneately) and my commander wears his tanker boots as do many of us. Probably not much help, but that's all I've got.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's the lowdown man, you are authorized to wear tanker boots once you are on a table 8 qualified tank crew. As far as I know there are no desert tanker boots out yet, but in the Army times they stated that once they become available that more than likely us qualified 19k will be able to wear them.

Posts: 11 | Location: Ft. Carson, CO | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Check it out fellow tankers,
First, yes there is a desert tanker boot made by the wonderful people at The Dehner Company, Inc. Visit their website and check it out. They give you an Adobe form to download, print, fill out, send in, and then receive custom desert tanker boots.
Second, just like everything in the Army, it is at the commander's discretion for wear. So if he says, "No you can't wear them." then drive on and go to the next level in your chain of command and give an argument about preserving customs, courtesies, and most important, TRADITION. I'll bet if you use tact and show a real passion for your argument, the old man will allow it.
Page 157 in AR 670-1, Sec. 27-3:Boots, combat, leather, black... SubSec. (d) Para (3) clearly defines this. Now if you are a true tanker, you won't take no shit from someone wearing shiny rank because even though he may be your commander, he is still a soldier just like you and me. BUT like all situations, use tact and show the man respect for the rank he wears. He does after all have the power to make your time with him a living hell.

Always willing to help the tank corp keep it's traditions.
Supertankman23 SSG O'Connor

Posts: 11 | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Clothing & Sales store on Fort Hood has been selling Desert Tanker Boots since late August 2004, they cost about $115.

C130 Rollin' down the strip
What a joke, my tank won't fit

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of R.Mjolsness
posted Hide Post
I was under the Impression you could not just buy tanker boots and wear them. You had to earn them.

Hmm Bravo 2-81 here. None of my drills wore them but our CO did and let me tell ya. they look highspeed.

PFC Mjolsness
D Co 2-136th CAB,
34th Infantry Division,
Minnesota National Guard

On the evening of the seventh day the Lord looked over His creation and saw that it was good. He said, Let there be a breed of great warriors to protect the people from evil. They shall ride beasts of iron and steel and speak with breaths of fire and destruction. They shall be feared by all that is evil. The people shall call these warriors who are masters of their beasts

Tankers

Posts: 121 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You need to have been on a tank crew that qualified on table 8 at gunner to wear tanker boots. CIF use to issue winter tanker boots though and because of that you could just wear them without even qualifying on table 8, but they don't do that anymore.

C130 Rollin' down the strip
What a joke, my tank won't fit

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi all. I was a tanker for four years. OPFOR in Ft. Irwin and 1st Armored Division in Germany. Needless to say, I used to wear tanker boots. When in Germany we always purchased the German ones because the straps were much wider and high speed looking.

I've been out of the Army forever but am about to reenlist. I am too tall to go back in tanks (they added a height restriction since I've been out). I'd love to wear my tanker boots again, esp those cool desert ones they came out with....but are only personnel CURRENTLY in an armor unit allowed to wear them? Or are they kind of like a ribbon, once earned you get to keep the priviledge permanantly? I might join up as 25V, which is pretty far away from being a tanker, but still hoping someone here can tell me if I can wear my tanker boots even if I've reclassified?
thanks for any info
Musashi

Posts: 6 | Location: Tampa Florida | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
oldironsides,

The wearing of Tanker boots is up to your Cdr. If he/she says it's ok, then it's cool. But I would suggest get a memo saying so and put it in your wallet, in case you run into a "reg hound non- tanker" at the PX or something especially if you are on a post where there are few Armor personnel.

Posts: 212 | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PS ..oldironsides,

If I wanted to get back in tanks, I would try to get a height wavier. Make them show you in the Reg where it says its non-waverable. if they can't produce it...Ask to see the station commander..if he wont help you ask to talk to his first Sgt and i bet you'll see results (if it can be done).

posted Hide Post
MSG High, thanks for the input. The current height limit is 6'1" and yes no where that I can find says it is or isn't waiverable. I'm 6'4". I never was the loader on a tank, because I literally couldn't function effectively in the loader position rotating the rounds, so I get the reason for the height restriction. My recruiter is going to get the BN cmdr to look into it to see if I might not be grandfathered in (no joke about my age please :-). I don't mind the idea of doing something a tad less high speed like 25V if it keep me around combat arms guys in some capacity.

I do think carrying around some memo about tanker boots is a damn good idea and if that comes to pass I'll definately request that sort of thing. If I can't get back in tanks, the likelihood of being surrounded by non-tankers is pretty high. I do have my authorization for the Oldironsides combat patch from the Gulf War so at least there is that obvious connection on my right sleeve :-)

Posts: 6 | Location: Tampa Florida | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JOSHFREE
posted Hide Post
Hey im gonna be switching to Tanker through the retain program here in the next couple of months. Can anyone tell me what tanker life in garrison is like? Thanks for the input

I got nothing.

Posts: 308 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of R.Mjolsness
posted Hide Post
Are you Active or NG. If your active I cant help you.

PFC Mjolsness
D Co 2-136th CAB,
34th Infantry Division,
Minnesota National Guard

On the evening of the seventh day the Lord looked over His creation and saw that it was good. He said, Let there be a breed of great warriors to protect the people from evil. They shall ride beasts of iron and steel and speak with breaths of fire and destruction. They shall be feared by all that is evil. The people shall call these warriors who are masters of their beasts

Tankers

Posts: 121 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JOSHFREE
posted Hide Post
active.
whats the ait like for prior service

I got nothing.

Posts: 308 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
guntruckplumber,

for a MOS 19K job description go to: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/19k.htm

this will give you a pretty good idea what is expected. Although with the current war time situation you will be required to perform dismounted operations from timt to time. Tankers generally consider this to be degrading, but its a its nessesary due to the size of the current force. The moto "death before dismount" harkens back to a day when we had 13 combat divisions. Units like the 3rd ACR stay mounted as much as possible and have really given the enemy fits on the syrian border.

AIT.. I9K basic and AIT are done in the OSUT (one station unit training) format. what that means to you is.. you will basically fall in on the AIT portion of that training. That should be the last 6-8 weeks of the course. You will proably be billited in the permenant party area apart from the trainees and given a training schdule outlining class times and locations. most will be at Holder Complex and COFT site, both are with in walking distance. The training schdule will tell you where to meet transportation to more remote training locations.

hope that helps...good luck