ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Armor    Stetsons wear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stetsons wear
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to assume that this would be the place to post a Cav related question (here in the Armor forum) since there's no cavalry forum. Makes sense.

I know that spurs can be acquired through a Spur Ride. I also know that Scouts are authorized wear of the Stetson cav hat. I have a question about attaining it, though. I'm a brand new scout, formerly a tanker, and I'm in a new UA for the WVARNG, so I'm not too knowledgable on cav tradition yet, though I know lots is the same as Armor (I mean, it's like the father of armor, yet armor is bigger...hm...). Anyway, I know that the Stetson wear is authorized for enlisted soldiers according to everything I've been able to find, and a Spur Ride and no other requirements are accompanied with its wear (at least from what I've been able to find). My main question is, though everything I've said says that enlisted scouts can wear the Stetson, are there any other requirements and does this apply only to NCOs or all enlisted soldiers?

Posts: 55 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It goes like this man, you can wear the Stetson without going on a Spur ride but do you really feel like you earned it? There are 2 ways to earn your spurs and stetson, and those are going to war with A CAV UNIT and going on a spur ride. I personally will not wear my stetson until March when I deploy and earn it the right way.

Posts: 11 | Location: Ft. Carson, CO | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of JOSHFREE
posted Hide Post
SO I earned my Gold spurs with the 11th ACR and my silver spurs with the 3rd ACR I was deployed under them in OIF 3 so since ive got the order of the spurs from both of them for being attached to both of them should I be able to wear the combat patch?

I got nothing.

Posts: 308 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
No, these two are completly different.

AR 670-1, Chapter 28-17, pg. 246 and Appendix F, pg. 336:

28-17. Shoulder sleeve insignia-former wartime service (SSI-FWTS) (aka: Combat Patch)
a. General. Authorization to wear a shoulder sleeve insignia indicating former wartime service applies only to soldiers who are assigned to U.S. Army units that meet all the following criteria. Soldiers who were prior members of other Services that participated in operations that would otherwise meet the criteria below are not authorized to wear the SSI-FWTS. Wear is reserved for individuals who were members of U.S. Army units during the operations.

(1) The Secretary of the Army or higher must declare as a hostile environment the theater or area of operation to which the unit is assigned, or Congress must pass a Declaration of War.

(2) The units must have actively participated in, or supported ground combat operations against hostile forces in which they were exposed to the threat of enemy action or fire, either directly or indirectly.

(3) The military operation normally must have lasted for a period of thirty (30) days or longer. An exception may be made when U.S. Army forces are engaged with a hostile force for a shorter period of time, when they meet all other criteria, and a recommendation from the general or flag officer in command is forwarded to the Chief of Staff, Army.

(4) The Chief of Staff, Army, must approve the authorization for wear of the shoulder sleeve insignia for former wartime service.

ALSO ....

a. There is no time-in-theater requirement to be authorized to wear the SSI-FWTS

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of dental_chick87
posted Hide Post
can you wear the stetson indoors? and do you have to wear it with the spurs?

Posts: 7 | Location: baumholder | Registered: 11 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sfcdan
posted Hide Post
stetson stetson stetson....damn cowboy hat causes so much drama!! From all ive seen there is only one regulation that covers the wear of the stetson and spurs ie size color tradition and all that, its located in the first cav museum. contact the curator for details he can fill you in. yes you CAN wear a stetson without earning spurs, and at any rank, no you dont have to wear a black cord if not an NCO. But remember you can only wear it if authorized by your unit. Every CAV unit i been in you arent wearing it unless you earned your spurs somehow, its just part of it stetson and spurs they go together ya know? CAV tradition. Dont try to wear your cowboy hat at something that is not CAV...its just a bad idea, its looked down on by the other branches and is a good way to get hemmed up! pretty much because its unauthorized by current Army regulation, but is authorized by unit Commanders of CAV units because of the tradition and the history behind us CAV troopers. and as for your question Dental chick.....sure ill wear my stetson anywhere i want! lol

Posts: 20 | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree with Supermac! If you haven't earned them on a Spur Ride don't embarrass yourself and wear either the Spurs or Stetson. And I hate hearing that oh I deployed / supported them in Iraq so I can wear my gold spurs!

What have you done to earn them? I guess im just crabby cause they used to mean something now units just give them away for free??? Then at the ball you have a bunch of tards walking around in there stetsons put together all wrong looking like a hot stinking mess!

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of cavscout1983
posted Hide Post
OP- Varies by Unit.

Dental Chick- no offense, but I feel and most other Scouts I know feel that the most important pre-requisite to wearing a Stetson and Spurs is to go through 16 weeks of 19D OSUT. Once you've done that, more details come in. Afterall...I dont go around saying "well... I did foot patrols and kicked in a few doors, so why can't I wear a CIB?".

Funny how everyone wants the cool aspects of being a Scout, but they dont want to put in the hard work of the day to day.

goooozfrabah.

If you ain't CAV, you aint....

Posts: 45 | Location: The Best hometown in the Army | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok, I have to say this. You wear your Stetson With your Spurs either Gold or Silver. I know I earned my Spurs and it wasnt just being apart of a Cav Unit. I am a 19D and proud of it. And what the Dental Chick ask, only wear your Stetson if you are apart of a CAV unit. But yes you can wear them indoors. Otherwise dont because people will ask what your MOS is and then they will make fun of you. Sorry but thats how it is. And SSG E I agree with you about Units giving them away for free. I went out into Sector for 15 months was Blown up 7 times and RPG, but yet a person that never left the wire got thier Spurs. I hate that.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Buck14
posted Hide Post
I admire all you guys for the harm you face and would have to agree that it should not be so easy to earn something that should mean so much. It is nothing I will ever earn in my MOS and my gender doesn't help but I will look up to you guys that do so much and not agree with the fakers that wear something they didn't truly earn. Thank you for all you do and I'll continue to provide as much support as I can for you. I'll continue to make sure the choppers can always take off and land for you. See you inside the wire!!!

Posts: 39 | Location: Somewhere New Soon, I HOPE! | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Mike89
posted Hide Post
Well I could wear those spurs and the stetson, but I rather just wear my CIB. I think it is ridiculous how someone who never leaves the gate can "earn" spurs and a stetson, just because they deployed with a cav unit.
quote:
'm a brand new scout, formerly a tanker, and I'm in a new UA for the WVARNG, so I'm not too knowledgable on cav tradition yet, though I know lots is the same as Armor (I mean, it's like the father of armor, yet armor is bigger...hm...). Anyway, I know that the Stetson wear is authorized for enlisted soldiers according to everything I've been able to find, and a Spur Ride and no other requirements are accompanied with its wear (at least from what I've been able to find). My main question is, though everything I've said says that enlisted scouts can wear the Stetson, are there any other requirements and does this apply only to NCOs or all enlisted soldiers?

Posts: 10 | Location: conus | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I "earned" my stetson and spurs by deploying. I actaully went outside the wire too! Yay me!

Seriously though, No matter what support does for a unit we will always be crapped on because we aren't "real" MOSs. I had probably 3-4 CLPs a week supporting our CAV scouts at 4 different bases. Not to mention, while you guys are off and sleeping, we are up until 2am making sure that your vehicles are ready to roll for your next mission.

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
Ive never once had a mechanic work on my vehicle without me there.. and neither has anyone else in my unit.. i want to go to yours where mechanics actually do mechanic work.. all of ours say everything is operator level..if its all operator level, then why are mechanics here? just wondering

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Go Ordnance
posted Hide Post
You must have a lot of time on your hands if you know who and who hasn't had a mechanic work on their vehicle without them there, then again, we are the ones who have jobs in garrison and in combat...

You get some good mechanics and you get some bad ones... I'll agree with that

My thing is, yeah it may be operator level, but by the time we get one with the vehicle the work could have already been done. Most of the time, we call the PSG and remind them about a vehicle to be worked on (it's even on the training schedule) and it never fails that they will bring it at 1700. Which amazes me because what do you guys do during the day that 2 people can't bring a vehicle to maintenance? Really?

"If you do not stand by me at my worst, you WILL NOT stand by me at my best."

Posts: 719 | Location: Fort Lee | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
First off, i dont really have too much time on my hands, the stuff is our motor sgts rule, so everyone knows it. And we do have a job in garrison and depoloyed, just garrison, we train to protect yall over here... oh and p.s. the mechanics in my unit have no job now..civilians do it. were deployed and mechanics are not allowed to touch the mraps

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post